FIAT DUCATO PVC - 2 x 150watt solar panels longditudinal? (2 Viewers)

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
If anyone has done this I'd be pleased to hear how they got on.

My measurements of my usable roof width are 1400mm east/west and 1600mm north/south. I want to fit 300watts but have awning mountings to consider, too. The 150watt panels tend to be 670mm wide so would fit transversely across the van roof, east/west with ease and space to spare.

Because of wind/air flow considerations, I'd prefer to fit them along the van roof, north/south but this means the panels will be quite close together at the centre line with only 60mm space between them, which may be tricky when considering the type of mounts to use.

Anybody done exactly this and can advise? (Please, no suggestions like, "Why do you need that amount of solar or why don't you get a generator?")

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I've got ready to be fitted on my X250 a single victron 175w panel that measures 1485mm, and I'll be fitting it East/West, inbetween the existing skylights on the van.

I too thought that I could only go to a maximum of 1400mm because I've also got a awning fitted, but, with a little engineering I reckon you could get a 1500mm panel up there.

I'm going to mount mine to the roof rack mounts, using thule awning rail mounts. No photos at the moment as I'm still waiting on a couple of items before I start the job

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Bobby-gg,
Thanks for your response.

As a matter of interest, how are you going about choosing which maker/supplier of solar panels to buy from? There seems to be a wide price differential for what seems to be the same panel - even within the same supplier's range.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Bobby-gg,
Thanks for your response.

As a matter of interest, how are you going about choosing which maker/supplier of solar panels to buy from? There seems to be a wide price differential for what seems to be the same panel - even within the same supplier's range.
I've been watching all the 100w - 150w panels I can find on ebay to check all the sizes knowing that I had a specific maximum that I could fit.

But I recently received my monthly email from the bimble solar, who were selling the 175w victron which is listed as 1485mm x 668mm, which I've stated above is perfect for me.

So, the panel choose me really, I didn't choose the panel 👍

And, I like the victron stuff, got the solar charger, battery protect, bmv and mains charger by victron in this van, the solar charger in my old vw, and the 3kw all in one system on a off grid remote location

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Hagstrom

You got any further yet?

I've got my side mounts installed today and the panel test fitted - it fit's like a glove.

Just waiting for 30x30mm extrusion to make the cross bar to support the leading edge

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
That's very neat Bobby-gg and makes good use of the existing awning mounting lugs. Your last commect has me thinking that I could mount the panels crossways and fix with a continuous aluminium extrusion across the complete leading edge.
I have a space 1600mm by 1400mm so would like to fit 2 panels to minimise any effects of shadowing.
I'm waiting for better weather before ordering and fitting the panels but propose to go in through the rooflight base upstand and avoid a hole in the roof.

Sep 15, 2013
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Hymer b654
Exp
Thinking about solar but don’t know much about it. I would need it to be fitted as I am a solo traveler. I have a large classic hymer recommendation would be welcome
thanks Gail x

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thinking about solar but don’t know much about it. I would need it to be fitted as I am a solo traveler. I have a large classic hymer recommendation would be welcome
thanks Gail x
Is your question "who can fit it" and if so, if only given the current travel restrictions, where would be convenient for you? If you can say where you are now (Liverpool?) someone may have suggestions.

What to fit depends what you want. If you just want to keep the batteries topped up 100W would be fine, to get some useful usage out of the system 200W is better and therefore 300W better still and so on. :)

Bannister99

Free Member
Oct 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've got ready to be fitted on my X250 a single victron 175w panel that measures 1485mm, and I'll be fitting it East/West, inbetween the existing skylights on the van.

I too thought that I could only go to a maximum of 1400mm because I've also got a awning fitted, but, with a little engineering I reckon you could get a 1500mm panel up there.

I'm going to mount mine to the roof rack mounts, using thule awning rail mounts. No photos at the moment as I'm still waiting on a couple of items before I start the job
I've just done extactly that this weekend - 175w Victron panel mounted on using a Thule Smartclamp system.
20210403_181524459_iOS (2).jpg

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Looks very neat. Must look at Smart Clamps.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
How easy the project slipped from a challenging 300watts to an easier 175 watts
Thats some serious power loss for a simple life

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
Bimble Solar,
295w Perlight Black mono Percium panel - 1504 x 1002mm

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Some sort of wind deflector would help, the biggest danger is the lift effect when driving, if relying on adhesive alone. Had a customer a couple of years back asked me to check his regulator as his panels weren’t charging, only to discover no panel (not fitted by me) on the roof and where three of the brackets were there was no adhesive left on the roof. He had no idea where he may of lost the panel?

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, Bessy765, I have some aluminium profile that I'll cut to 670mm, attache to the panel frame with rivnuts and glue down to the roof with 512 using some spacers to ensure the correct thickness of the Sika. That should serve as a spoiler and reduce airflow under the panel. I'll use shorter bits as mounts along the panel's long side to stabilise the mid part. Then I'll use Jezport's method of leading the wires inside the van through the Heki body to avoid drilling another hole in the van roof.

When it gets warmer....

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Good job, Bobbygg. Were you self-sufficient over those few days? Weather couldn't have been better for a test during optimum solar conditions.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Good job, Bobbygg. Were you self-sufficient over those few days? Weather couldn't have been better for a test during optimum solar conditions.
Yes, batteries bulk charged by 10:00 am both days, but as you say, it couldn't of been more perfect.

Think the next planned offgrid is the Yorkshire food festival in July, although we may have a few more nights away at the beach before then

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Finally installed the 2 x 150w panels but east west rather than north south was easier for me because of the van roof's curvature.

Used Sika 252 Adhesive to glue the 50mmx30mm aluminium angle to the roof continuously along each 670mm side. Used 5mm spacers to try for a 4mm fill of adhesive.The panels are screwed to the angle uprights.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Hagstrom Can I ask where you got your aluminium angle from? I've done a google search and found a few sites but a recommendation would make the choice easier :) I have 2 180w panels to install when it's warm enough/stops raining all the time!

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much Sika did you use? I have a feeling that 2 cannisters (or whatever they're called) might not be enough.

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
The aluminium angle was in imperial units - 2 1/2 in x 1 1/2 in x 1/8 in - Aluminium Unequal Angle Length 2500 mm, thus slightly bigger than 50x30mm! It was from Aluminium Warehouse and took about 4 days to arrive.

I used it along the 670mm sides of the panels so could have managed with 1, 2500mm length but bought 2 for luck (So I've one spare which you could have had if you were nearer West Yorkshire!) They worked out at about £27 each, including postage, but there are very sturdy. When the panels were mounted east-west, each of the 670mm sides was just inside the raised ribs of the Ducato roof, so 95% of the base area was in bonded contact with the raised ribs.

I cut the Sika nozzle about half way down its length, so quite a wide nozzle bore, but needed every mm2 of it because the stuff was bloody hard to squeeze out of the tube (- I'm on the puny side of slightly built.) One tube of 252 did two 670mm sides, ie one panel, so there was just enough in 2 Sika tubes for the whole job.

Because the insides of the panels are impossible to reach once the panels are mounted I didn't use nuts and bolts to join to the angles but a combination of machine screw into RivNuts and number 14 self tapping SS screws.

Also used the Sika Primer and Accelerator before gluing.

Hope this helps.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Hagstrom Thank you, very helpful, it's great to hear how others have done it :)

I saw Aluminium Warehouse come back in a search so I'll have a look at them. Unfortunately not anywhere near you, used to live in Scaborough but now in Gloucester so a bit far to travel ;-)

I still need to work out which way I'm going to put my second panel on, first one will be going over where the satelite dish is, once I've taken it off. Ours is a coachbuilt so have more room to put them where I think best. Might get another tub of Sika just to be safe.

Thanks for the tip about fixing the panels to the aluminium, was thinking how to do that as I need a way to take them off if there's any problems and bolts in the middle of a long piece of aluminium aren't going to be accessable!

Have some Primer and Accelerator from a member on MH, trying to make sure I do it right, don't want them coming off going along a motorway.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
If panel size is important to you, eg to use existing mounting points, be aware that some suppliers quote Si panel size and others include size of Al extrusion.
Yes id been caught out by this.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I use puraflex p40 from toolstation about £6 a tube
Current set up 330w 120w and 100w total 550w on a 6m van still room for another 80w
20210624_185931_copy_2064x1161.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: I2C
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Trying to decide how much solar I really need on the new van...
PXL_20210609_193420524.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back