andrew keyte

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
delivery truck/ caravan
Exp
3 years
Hi All, I own a 2010 Fiat Ducato 130 multijet 2.3 diesel.
When changing the oil I can only get 5 litres out when the capacity should be 6.5 litres. The new oil is immediately filthy so I believe 1.5 l is remaining in the engine somewhere.

I have loads of experience with oil change on other engine types so: the oil was hot, I have included what was in the filter, its not burning or leaking, I am reading the dip stick correctly etc.

I have found a couple blogs expressing the same problem but no answers just an acceptance that one and half litres of oil stays inside.

Has anyone on the forum had the same experience? Any solutions out there?

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
You will still have oil sitting in oil gallery’s, crankshaft block etc. Also hydraulic tappets if fitted will still be full. So still a fair amount.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I know at one time there was a fashion for using a flushing oil before filling with the new stuff is that still an option?. I suppos the problem is you will be left with 1.5 litres of flushing oil still in the engine thinking about it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I know at one time there was a fashion for using a flushing oil before filling with the new stuff is that still an option?. I suppos the problem is you will be left with 1.5 litres of flushing oil still in the engine thinking about it!

Wynns engine flush or similar ?

OP
OP
A

andrew keyte

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
delivery truck/ caravan
Exp
3 years
Thanks for your reply Macca. Is this peculiar to Fiat? Or all modern engines? I am sure my other engines pretty much empty completely and the new oil is still transparent for weeks.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
probably wasnt full when you started and what still in the engine ways accounts for it ive never been a fan of flushing oil

OP
OP
A

andrew keyte

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
delivery truck/ caravan
Exp
3 years
I appreciate your ideas folks. Has anyone got the same engine and does there own oil change?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
yep every time 2012 2.3. Diesel oil is designed to collect soot and will go black immediately. The lubrication property isn't affected. If you're worried drop the oil again but nothing will change.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
probably wasnt full when you started and what still in the engine ways accounts for it ive never been a fan of flushing oil
I use engine flush at oil change but we all have different views and opinions everyone to their own

OP
OP
A

andrew keyte

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
delivery truck/ caravan
Exp
3 years
Alex, How much oil do you get out? How much would you say is left behind?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don't know where the 6.5 litres capacity comes from, although I've seen it stated in several places. Fiat's workshop documentation states 5.9 litres, but at least two Fiat Pro dealers that I know use 5.4 litres as a service fill, stating that 5.9 litres leads to overfilling on the dipstick. That agrees with my own observations. It is better to leave the fill level slightly below the maximum mark on the dipstick, since modern emission controlled vehicles with DPFs can dilute the oil in use, rarely leading to overfill and diesel runaway. I find 5.4 litres on the multijet 2.3 equates to a happy 3/4 full according to the dipstick :)

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I appreciate your ideas folks. Has anyone got the same engine and does there own oil change?
Hi Andrew, i have same engine, do own oil changes never measure what comes out but always manage 5.9 ltrs in to full mark on dip stick.

Eric

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Incidentally, on any vehicle that I service, I initially fill with 1 litre less oil than specified, check it has registered at least above minimum on the dipstick, then run the engine for a short time to fill the oil filter and check for any leaks at the filter seal and the sump plug. I then leave it at rest for 15 minutes or so to allow the oil to return to the sump, and slowly add oil a little at a time until I'm happy with the level on the dipstick, always aiming for slightly less than maximum. Much easier than trying to get some oil out afterwards ;)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Alex, How much oil do you get out? How much would you say is left behind?

It's not something I notice - plus I always let the oil level fall to minimum on the stick, when I know I going to change it shortly.
I put about a gallon in and then check the stick, its always there or there about once its filled the filter.
You'll know to have the van on the flat as the sump drain seems to be exactly central.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We change our oil annually, regardless of mileage. (Our average is 12000 miles a year).

Our friendly, neighbourhood mechanic, who does our servicing at home, in his “off duty” time, recommends flushing the system. As a result we ask him to do it each time he services it.

The additional cost is nothing when you consider the potential cost of engine damage.

However, our friends never flush theirs and have had no problems. I suppose it comes down to peace of mind, depth of pockets etc.

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Thanks for your reply Macca. Is this peculiar to Fiat? Or all modern engines? I am sure my other engines pretty much empty completely and the new oil is still transparent for weeks.
All engines will hold a certain amount of oil in galleries etc if not a lot of damage would occur on every start up. Most Diesel engine oils will have a certain amount of deferment in them to clean and hold carbon etc. The term omd is relating to oil mineral detergent. 50 odd years as a heavy goods fitter have never used flushing oil just regular oil changes

OP
OP
A

andrew keyte

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
delivery truck/ caravan
Exp
3 years
Thanks DE, if the 6.5 litre capacity is a myth that answers my question.

I get 5 litres of old oil out, perhaps 0.4 is still soaked into the filter. The old level mark is half way up the stick and the full capacity 5.9 litres, that add up.

Thanks everyone for your contributions. My fear of slowly and needlessly ruining a huge investment is now subsiding!

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs . You don’t say who the manufacturer is ie Swift Ellis ect. I have a Swift on a Fiat Ducato same as yours. On level ground the cab is slightly nose down, on a level pitch I usually have to go up at least 1 level on the ramps

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We change our oil annually, regardless of mileage. (Our average is 12000 miles a year).

Our friendly, neighbourhood mechanic, who does our servicing at home, in his “off duty” time, recommends flushing the system. As a result we ask him to do it each time he services it.

The additional cost is nothing when you consider the potential cost of engine damage.

However, our friends never flush theirs and have had no problems. I suppose it comes down to peace of mind, depth of pockets etc.
The oil you remove has hopefully not reached the end of its service life so why flush thus leaving a substance that isn't lubricating oil in the oilways and hydraulic tappets? Flushing was a good idea in the past when oil came out as carbonated sludge but a modern oil drains cleanly and doesn't leave anything harmful behind.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The oil you remove has hopefully not reached the end of its service life so why flush thus leaving a substance that isn't lubricating oil in the oilways and hydraulic tappets? Flushing was a good idea in the past when oil came out as carbonated sludge but a modern oil drains cleanly and doesn't leave anything harmful behind.
Frankly, I’m no expert so can’t answer your question.

However, after over twenty years using the same mechanic with total satisfaction I am happy to follow the advice of someone who is.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
I did na oil change two days ago
and the oil shows dirty on the dip stick and I havent run it yet.

I want to know why the dip stick is blued metal. makes seeing where the oil level on the dip stick is very difficult

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Mine has no oil,blew the frigging engine up,not sure the amount in it:whistle:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For information only please draw your own conclusions
we as a service and repair garage do not and will not use engine flush without instructions and signed disclaimer from the customer.
Often asked why? we explained
Engines that have got full service history have no real need of it
Engines that have not and appear to or there is a desire to have it may have the human equivelent of DVT or Cardiac arrest
caused by gunge that was happily living stuck somewhere in an engine being semi disolved, or being dislodged and blocking vital oilways resulting in seizure or major damage at best
to sumerise
Clean engines dont need it
Dirty engine may live longer without it.

anyone in the trade will recall the ford CVH engine and what was termed the black death. try flushing one of those and it would seize on the ramp:doh:

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I have a euro 6 150 fiat engine, oil to fill up to mark on stick is 6.25 ltrs and no flush, just a money making add on as far as i am concerned and i will change it every 12 months.
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back