Fiat Ducato auto roller 694 (1 Viewer)

Ktw

Free Member
Jun 6, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 694
Hi there. The transmission failed on my MH on 17th May and the RAC came out to see it and recommended it go to a local garage. They couldn't start work on it for a week as was busy but eventually did on Friday 25th May. I left them to it that day and heard nothing and had to wait til the Tuesday to speak to them as it was a bank holiday Monday and they were shut all weekend.

They said on Tuesday that they'd ran the diagnostics and everything was pointing to the clutch but they'd have to take the gearbox out which would take 5 hours and then 5 hours to put back in. £1100 to do that.

On Friday they rang at 8am and said gearbox definitely ok after doing thorough checks on it and it's the clutch and flywheel that's faulty. New parts ordered and possibly be delivered late Friday or Monday morning. I only bought the mh in October and got a 12 months warranty with them with The Warranty Group so was praying I was covered.

Total bill £2152 including taking out gearbox and replacing clutch and flywheel. Told them to go ahead with the job and not wait on TWG as needed the MH doing anyway, I live in it full time too so desperate to get it back.

Today, (Monday 6th June) I get a phone call at 12.24pm to say the gearbox is about to be dropped back in, no news from TWG so I asked them to chase them. I also get told that the gearbox oil is very dark and it needs changing which would be an extra £500 including an electronic flush. I said ok if it needs it then I have to have it.

I get a phone call back not long after saying TWG will cover £1800 of the bill and not the full amount and they cap the hourly rate. Fine, no probs, I'll pay the £300 difference plus the £500 for the oil change.

At 3pm garage ring to say MH will 100% be ready at 5pm. Great.

Pick van up, pay £800 bill, go home.

I then think to look on my tracker and at 8am this morning the MH was taken on a test drive then again at 9am. At 11.30am it is parked up in the spot on the side of the road outside the garage where it stayed til I picked it up at 5pm.

They have no idea I have tracker info.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hi there. The transmission failed on my MH on 17th May and the RAC came out to see it and recommended it go to a local garage. They couldn't start work on it for a week as was busy but eventually did on Friday 25th May. I left them to it that day and heard nothing and had to wait til the Tuesday to speak to them as it was a bank holiday Monday and they were shut all weekend.

They said on Tuesday that they'd ran the diagnostics and everything was pointing to the clutch but they'd have to take the gearbox out which would take 5 hours and then 5 hours to put back in. £1100 to do that.

On Friday they rang at 8am and said gearbox definitely ok after doing thorough checks on it and it's the clutch and flywheel that's faulty. New parts ordered and possibly be delivered late Friday or Monday morning. I only bought the mh in October and got a 12 months warranty with them with The Warranty Group so was praying I was covered.

Total bill £2152 including taking out gearbox and replacing clutch and flywheel. Told them to go ahead with the job and not wait on TWG as needed the MH doing anyway, I live in it full time too so desperate to get it back.

Today, (Monday 6th June) I get a phone call at 12.24pm to say the gearbox is about to be dropped back in, no news from TWG so I asked them to chase them. I also get told that the gearbox oil is very dark and it needs changing which would be an extra £500 including an electronic flush. I said ok if it needs it then I have to have it.

I get a phone call back not long after saying TWG will cover £1800 of the bill and not the full amount and they cap the hourly rate. Fine, no probs, I'll pay the £300 difference plus the £500 for the oil change.

At 3pm garage ring to say MH will 100% be ready at 5pm. Great.

Pick van up, pay £800 bill, go home.

I then think to look on my tracker and at 8am this morning the MH was taken on a test drive then again at 9am. At 11.30am it is parked up in the spot on the side of the road outside the garage where it stayed til I picked it up at 5pm.

They have no idea I have tracker info.
IMO That sounds expensive especially the £500 for a gearbox oil change on, what I presume is a 2.3ltr engine, (I do it myself) but no idea what an electronic flush is?
More info on age of vehicle, engine size etc. might be helpful for others to comment. :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Ktw

Free Member
Jun 6, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 694
IMO That sounds expensive especially the £500 for a gearbox oil change on, what I presume is a 2.3ltr engine, (I do it myself) but no idea what an electronic flush is?
More info on age of vehicle, engine size etc. might be helpful for others to comment. :unsure:
Sorry yes it's a 2018 2.3litre ducato

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Ktw

Free Member
Jun 6, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 694
They would want to leave it for a few hours to check for leaks after a run?
They hadn't even put the gearbox in at midday....they've charged me £500 for an oil change they'd already done bit asked if I wanted it done.....

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Automatic (comformatic) or manual gearbox?

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Electronic flush - machine with special fluid connected to box while the engine and the gearbox are running in gear to get every last bit of old oil out then refills with fresh fluid.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Electronic flush - machine with special fluid connected to box while the engine and the gearbox are running in gear to get every last bit of old oil out then refills with fresh fluid.

It's a good job we didn't have an expensive tool like that in the old days, we would have had to charge an arm & leg just to drain the gearbox instead of just leaving the magnetic drain plug out while we did other things. I thought in this age of thinner oils they drained better? :LOL:

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The good old days, trying to squeeze the EP 80/90 in the hole up the tunnel or filling the auto box down the dip stick tube!

Just done it with my 1989 VW TD California, the fill hole is behind the bloody transmission linkage! (never had an auto-box thank goodness!) :LOL:

The good news is, it only cost me £25 not £500 :eek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back