Fiat Ducato 2010 130 Multijet black smoke (1 Viewer)

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
My mh has been blowing out thick black smoke when accelerating hard under load and puffing out when changing gear. I disconnected the air mass sensor and all the black smoke has now gone. It starts easily, has the same or more power, even had an inadvertent wheel spin (never done that before). Runs really welI. I can’t get a replacement for a few days so does anyone know if it will be safe to drive with it disconnected?

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
cant see it being a problem Ecu will revert to a default set of values if it cant see air mass so probably safer than driving with it connected

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Disconnecting the map sensor throws up the management light and puts you in safe mode doesn’t it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Just reread your post. My mistake. Mass airflow sensor and not map sensor. Ingnor me it still early

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deltacharlie26

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
I'm surprised that it didn't put the management light on though. Can't find my ODB reader to check, think I left it connected to a car I just sold! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Thinking about it, thick black smoke when under boost, is commonly caused by a leak in the air intake pipe or boost pipe. Resulting in too much fuel for the amount of air

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deltacharlie26

Deltacharlie26

Free Member
Aug 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Bessie E630
Exp
First year
Agree, had that before on a Landrover Freelander split boost pipe. I checked the intercooler pipes first, all sound. Just amazed that no EML warning but now running perfectly as far as I can tell. Will change the sensor and report back. Need to buy another ODB dongle to confirm what's going on. The air mass sensor must only alter the mixture a minute amount from the standard default map on the ECU as running really well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back