LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I am certain I read somewhere on here about a 'cheap' ferry service - maybe Stranraer to Larne? It was primarily a ferry for lorries and commercial vehicles but took MH as well if you didn't mind slumming it.

Can anyone point me to a link or remind me of the details?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The ferries run from Cairnryan to Belfast and Larne now, not Stranraer. They are Ro-pax ferries and are not cheap, neither would you be slumming it!

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
The ferries run from Cairnryan to Belfast and Larne now, not Stranraer. They are Ro-pax ferries and are not cheap, neither would you be slumming it!

Thanks - I probably knew that at some point and forgot! I do believe that there is an alternative to the Stenna type offering though ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Youer most probably refering to the sea truck service out of heysham...
Its only p&o and stena that operate out of cairnryan...
And cheap they aint:LOL:.. but they are are only a 2 and a half hour crossing...
Andy..

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Youer most probably refering to the sea truck service out of heysham...
Its only p&o and stena that operate out of cairnryan...
And cheap they aint:LOL:.. but they are are only a 2 and a half hour crossing...
Andy..

Thanks - that was almost certainly the one I was thinking about. Curiously though, the dates that I looked at were slightly more expensive and took x3 as long :unsure:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would have thought Holyhead - Dublin would have been your best bet, from Runcorn.............

Broken Link Removed

Liverpool to the IOM is by the superfast Seacat - not cheap but worth every penny

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I would have thought Holyhead - Dublin would have been your best bet, from Runcorn.............

Broken Link Removed

Liverpool to the IOM is by the superfast Seacat - not cheap but worth every penny

You might have thought so, but the cheapest on there was £296 as opposed to £233 Cairnryan to Larne.

Cost is the deciding factor for this trip, not speed ;)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If that is Seatruck from Heysham I'd be interested to hear how they found the trip.

It's the cheapest way across, not too far from us as compared to Holyhead or Pembroke.

Helen, can you respond to this as i know you have used that company .. @Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks for the heads up @andy63

@Vanman

@David and Sally

The ferry company is Seatruck, we used it almost two years ago and I really enjoyed the experience. At that time it cost £80 each way (cheapest fare booked several months on advance) for the motorhome and two passengers, included a cabin or cabins (the two person cabin was bunks), en-suite, meals (basic but good) tea, coffee, juice, no alcohol of course as the ferry is for truck drivers. Very clean but basic, take your own towels (although I think you can request them), bedding is provided.

There is a driver's lounge with tv and dvd. Also free wifi.

I think there were only 8 or 10 cabins as it is primarily for unaccompanied freight.

Routes were Heysham to Dublin or Belfast (Warrenpoint). If you go into Dublin, as we did, beware of the toll road on exit but there is a way round. Also the motorway round Dublin has a toll as do many of the bridges. The Dublin motorway is a booth free system so pay at the services just before or just after, we used the truck park area as we weren't sure how big the car parking spaces were. It's quiet. (They also do Liverpool to Dublin)

I would use that service again, it was interesting seeing the trailers being loaded at the docks, the company phoned us before departure to confirm sailing times. You can park before getting to and from Heysham at the P&R just off the M6 (not sure of the junction number but it is the Heysham junction). You can park overnight and there is CCTV. Frequent buses to Lancaster City Centre as well. I asked the council about overnight in the van and officially it is a grey area but just be considerate and not obvious.

Disadvantages is that it is a long crossing (like a mill pond both ways when we used it though), no pets, no children under 10 or 12 (best to check), very steep and open stairs from the vehicle deck up to the drivers' area so you need to be able bodied. It's not suitable for the disabled.

Any other questions then please ask :)

https://seatruck.freight2ferry.co.u...TvDeuAKLlUI51undaY4dXF2zBVT_kiR0aArJVEALw_wcB

Last edited:

Deleted User
I have been looking at doing a round trip through Ireland to France in September, the cheapest crossing that I found for a 6m motorhome to Ireland was via the Caravan & Motorhome Club.

Day crossing Liverpool to Dublin, £102 without cabin, £120 or so with cabin, with P&O, I think the boats are the old North Sea boats.

Recently checked the Heysham crossing and it was £129 for the same dates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back