Ferry Eceabat to Carrakkale, Turkey (1 Viewer)

Sue'sTravels

Free Member
Feb 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,

I'm intending taking my motorhome from Greece into Turkey at the end of April 2019 and then driving south along the west coast. I see there is a ferry from Eceabat (Gallipoli area) to Carrakkale. I'd like to use it.

My question is two fold,
1. Has anyone recently crossed from Greece into Turkey and did they experience any problems.

2. Has anyone used the ferry I've mentioned and what was their experience ? Ie does it take motorhomes (mine although only 5.2 metres long is 3 metres high which I hope will be ok).

Any info on either matter gratefully received .
Thanks in anticipation.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I take it you mean Canakkale.....
We've done that ferry crossing a few times now. No problems taking your motorhome it's RO-RO ferry , crossing time is about 25 mins, I can't help with the cost.
Canakkale is worth staying in and having a look around as there's plenty of history to be soaked up.
Don't forget that you'll need to apply for your evisa in advance.

Pete.

OP
OP
S

Sue'sTravels

Free Member
Feb 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Pete .
The info re the ferry is great . It'll be my first visit in a motorhome and friends had raised concerns about problems at the Greek/Turkish boarder which I dismissed initially but then thought I ought to check out. I'd seen the ferry on maps but all I could find online was mention of cars using it. That's very reassuring.
Thanks again. Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
For more insight in taking your motorhome to Turkey have a look at the blog that i've linked to below. Jo & Craig travelled there last year.
We never came across any problems with the Greek/Turkish border.

https://ourbumble.com/

Pete

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
I went a few years ago , no problem , stay in the van if you want or, go up stairs have a cup of tea . I found on arrival look out for foot passengers as they tend to stray in front of you .
Go for it Turkey is great !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi,

I'm intending taking my motorhome from Greece into Turkey at the end of April 2019 and then driving south along the west coast. I see there is a ferry from Eceabat (Gallipoli area) to Carrakkale. I'd like to use it.

My question is two fold,
1. Has anyone recently crossed from Greece into Turkey and did they experience any problems.

2. Has anyone used the ferry I've mentioned and what was their experience ? Ie does it take motorhomes (mine although only 5.2 metres long is 3 metres high which I hope will be ok).

Any info on either matter gratefully received .
Thanks in anticipation.
I'm confused. :) The places you mention are both in Turkey.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I'm confused. :) The places you mention are both in Turkey.

Two questions I think.

One: I am crossing from Greece to Turkey - did anyone have any issues at the border
Two: I want to use the ferry on this route - is it ok for my motorhome?

:D(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Two questions I think.

One: I am crossing from Greece to Turkey - did anyone have any issues at the border
Two: I want to use the ferry on this route - is it ok for my motorhome?

:D(y)
Now I've read it again I realise you are right! Avoiding Istanbul would be wise - the traffic is a nightmare from what I remember.

OP
OP
S

Sue'sTravels

Free Member
Feb 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the information and blog link all. It's helped confirm I can achieve what I hoped to. I'll now spend time researching what route I'm taking .

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Hiya,

We did a round trip to Turkey via Eceabat/Canakale and back via Istanbul but it was back in 2012 so customs arrangements are different nowadays with e visas. We wild camped at Eceabat before catching the ferry the following morning which is 'turn up and go'.
Full details of the trip hosted on the magbaz website link below including overnight stay coords if you're interested....

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1341/30/

http://www.magbaztravels.com/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,26/catid,676/

Pete

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
With regards to applying for a Turkish e-Visa, only go through the official Turkish e-visa website (see link below), it will cost $20 per applicant. There are numerous web sites which claim to assist users in receiving Turkish e-Visas in return of a service charge.

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back