Fancy a short trip to Stonehenge? (2 Viewers)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We were due to meet relatives recently and took the opportunity to visit Stonehenge. I know there are people who think its just a pile of rocks but it was fascinating to see them in my opinion !! There isnt a lot there, but its now been ticked off the list of things to see in the UK.

We were going to wild camp on the road alongside but the wind got up so decided to go to a free pub stop around the corner, The Crown Inn at Cholderton (highly recommended !) Shame as it would have been a nice experience waking up to the view and making breakfast/eating outside

We did take the opportunity to have a little walk around and took a few photos. For those who havent been there is a small gate alongside the main entrance where you can enter for free and walk up to within about 50 yards of the stones. The road where you park drive along does have a lot of ruts so drive slowly. If, when you get there the stones are on your right, drive past and turn round at the roundabout which is about a quarter of a mile (there might be better way in, but its the way we went !)
IMG-20201013-WA0004.jpg

Photo shows small pedestrian gate to the left of the main gate

IMG-20201013-WA0002.jpg

If you look on Google earth map then you can see the area before arriving there so you know where to go. Quite a few videos on YouTube as well of wild camping there

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
It is possible to walk along a foot path and get much closer. The only time we went was whilst English heritage members but too much poncing about and time restrictions lead us to the simpler public approach. Avebury is much more fun to walk around.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
It is possible to walk along a foot path and get much closer. The only time we went was whilst English heritage members but too much poncing about and time restrictions lead us to the simpler public approach. Avebury is much more fun to walk around.
Fortunately we visited the site many years ago when you could give the stones a hug if you wanted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
The first time I went there I parked the car on the verge, hopped over the small marker fence and had a wander round - late on a summer evening I was the only one there.

OH bettered that - she cycled there, cycled round the stones then propped her bike against one to stand back for a proper look. It was a while ago .... how times change!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back