Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
So, 'DONKEY of the DAY' award goes to yours truly for locking BOTH sets of keys in the charabanc a few hours ago, don't ask, suffice to say its a tale of stupidity compounded by haste and fatigue!

Luckily it's only a THULE after market slide lock that has done for me; the van itself is open and I can see both sets inside. However, in a wee rush I forgot to collect them off the table, exited, slid the lock over and as soon as it clicked the wee quiet voice in my head said "oops..."

So good peeps, apart from spending 3 hours on You Tube learning how to pick locks (Which I've just done with a singular lack of success) does any body have any idea about getting these little fellows open without hitting it with a lump hammer, drilling it or otherwise killing it?

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Screwdriver up a hab window rubber seal to force a window handle perhaps?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Locksmith or angle grinder? I fitted one of these locks to my last motorhome and they seem pretty sturdy so I don’t think you would do the doorframe much good if you try to force it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
depends on window latches screwdriver is a bit wide so puts pressure on the catches without spelling it out think thin plastic

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I once had a lock fail on me, so not leaving the keys inside.

The AA man had some home-made devices and got in via a window, without any damage

I am not going to disclose how, because some scrote might be viewing, but they probably know the trick anyway.

At least I know how to do it now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I did it last year the boss had left her handbag in the van with her keys in it & I managed to lock mine in the garage. Luckily we were parked in BIL's garden so got my daughter to post a spare hab key we had as I didn't want to do any damage.
If you have a Fiat cab you can pop the central locking with a small screwdriver under the bottom the driver's door lock surround.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I did it last year the boss had left her handbag in the van with her keys in it & I managed to lock mine in the garage. Luckily we were parked in BIL's garden so got my daughter to post a spare hab key we had as I didn't want to do any damage.
If you have a Fiat cab you can pop the central locking with a small screwdriver under the bottom the driver's door lock surround.

Don't tell them Pike!

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Cheers for all that folks. Appreciated. Its not the round kind, its a normal key. I would try and get in through the normal cab/garage doors but they also have THULE sliders on them and the keys are.....Hahemmmm; anyway moving on.

I will give it my best Bond picking after lunch and see how it goes. If all else fails its the AA and humble pie. So that would be DONKEY of the month with the special Velvet ears with 16 jewel swiss movement for Daddy.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
m
if its the thule lock with round barrel, the body of a biro and a lighter will open it
might be prudent to pm the OP with that info??

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
This clip offers one way to gain entry.

My son called the recovery firm who sorted him out in minutes.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Locked selves out of car once ; car had defaulted to locked while we were loading the boot and the keys were in the boot when we shut it. Argh only one set old car the other lost.- Recovery man had a device to carefully open a closed [electronic] window far enough to get a wire inside and hook keys from the floor of the boot . Hope you get it sorted xx

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Got Em ! Whoohoo! Dignity preserved, no need for the ears. I could tell you how it was done but then I'd have to kill you! Cheers for all your help folks, much appreciated. It's a mistake I will ONLY ever make once as I now have a secret spare set stashed away....somewhere.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Hopefully not stashed in the external fridge vent void.
Best to buy a combination key guard box and bolt it to the chassis.
At a dealership they have a master key that pulls out the lock barrel. Behind the barrel is an ordinary screwdriver slot. 1+1=2 if you know what I mean.
Glad that you are 'keys reunited'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back