External Reseal (1 Viewer)

Jul 20, 2008
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 625
Exp
7 YEARS
Think my 2014 MoHo would benefit from an external reseal. No current issues with ingress etc but a couple of seams look as though they could become problems if left. Would greatly appreciate advice on:

Is this something a competent DIY'er could do ? or is it a job best left to the professionals ?
What process (if DIY) would be best to follow, and what sealant would be best to use.

If it's a professional job, any recommendations please. I'm in North Hampshire, but ok to travel for a quality job to be done.

Thanks,

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I don’t know the answer to your question,but when I asked my man about doing our 2016 model he said best to leave well alone. So I did. :giggle:

Others on here May have more info for you......hopefully.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Think my 2014 MoHo would benefit from an external reseal. No current issues with ingress etc but a couple of seams look as though they could become problems if left. Would greatly appreciate advice on:

Is this something a competent DIY'er could do ? or is it a job best left to the professionals ?
What process (if DIY) would be best to follow, and what sealant would be best to use.

If it's a professional job, any recommendations please. I'm in North Hampshire, but ok to travel for a quality job to be done.

Thanks,
HUGGY did you get any replies?

If not,this might help.:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My youngest lad is a wiz with a sealant gun and I plan to bribe him into doing ours (beer). I’m thinking the sycaflex that flexes, someone will be along with the number 👍

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Thanks,
Hi, look at your seals for signs of fine crack's (if none visible leave😉) If any are visible then clean it all and mask off a couple mm wider than the seal edge then cut carefully with a sharpened scraper removing the seal up to the edge, don't go under the sheet.
Clean off, reseal and smooth off with a wet finger.Remove masking tape👍
I would use Puraflex 40 as I've never had a problem with it. Used it on so many vans. Half the price of sikaflex and doesn't go off in the tube.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Did most of our motorhome during lockdown (idle hands and all that!).

We've got an AT Frontier (2013) and whilst we weren't experiencing any serious ingress issues some of the sealant was looking past it's best (showing some minor shrinkage \ blackening) so decide to "tart" it up.

On the sides \ cab \ awning case I cut out the old stuff using (carefully!) a modelling knife (similar to a scalpel), wiped down with isopropyl alcohol, taped up with easy remove masking tape and resealed using Hodgsons Seamseal CV (no not the 19 version!:eek:). Easy to work with and whilst it forms a skin it remains pliable. Didn't want to use adhesive but just mastic. Note, it is a very pale cream colour but doesn't really show out of place on our van.

On the roof I didn't want to be clambering around up there (built for comfort not speed!:whistle2:) so used Eternabond tape. Also didn't want to be mucking around with the existing sealing as water tends to pool around the seams. You don't really see the seams anyway unless you clamber up there to look. So, just a good wash down, clean with isopropyl alcohol, rough pencil mark of position and applied the tape.
Got the tape from here http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/product/eternabond-roofseal-10cm-x-7-6m-white/

As I said, no serious ingress issues but a stitch in time and all that.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back