Ever tried to repair a Riech water pump??? (1 Viewer)

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
Has anyone ever tried and successfully repaired the (Reich) water pump?
Having tried to reposition/upright the pump when draining down the water tank for winter and everything being very cold(and clearly stiff/brittle), I stupidly moved the pump without supporting the connection to the hose and the 'neck' snapped!!!!
This is a very clean break and will superglue and then leave a slight 'collar' that will 'flood' with more superglue!! This is clearly a natural weak point especially for the heavy handed buffoon and it looks as thought the part maybe serviceable but I cannot remove it, or see it as a part in a parts site.....so maybe not??
I know the pump is very simple to replace if it is a complete pain to get at etc as I did it several months ago!!!
So, I refer to the first line again???????
image.jpeg

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Is it broken before or after the non return valve bit.
Maybe epoxy a bit of small bore copper pipe down the inside. Restrict the flow a bit though.

OP
OP
Phod's

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks to all but Lenny, I'll try as you have suggested........and make sure I carry a spare pump from now on!!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks to all but Lenny, I'll try as you have suggested........and make sure I carry a spare pump from now on!!!!!
I would fit the new pump and carry the repaired one as a spare.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Phod's

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
Yeah, I know and of course you're right but although they are easy to change its a right faff to strip everything down/out so I'll wait till I'm away, 'cos it'll only pack up then and then it'll give me something to do of an evening..........instead of washing up or having a shower::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry, but from experience, it's a bin job. I even tried plastic welding one with a soldering iron. As soon as the pump kicks in the vibration and pressure shears it straight off again

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
As TheBig1 says the pump body is Nylon so whatever you try there's very little chance of repairing it it's simply a replace and make sure you have a spare

ALSO they come in lots of different flow rates so make sure you get the highest flow or your shower will be rubbish

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I had a Reich pump pack in when I was in UK. We drove around Kent to about 6/7 MH places and could only ind Whale pumps not Reich. I am no fan of Whale from boating experience and they do not have built-in NRV but had to settle for one.

Got back to POland and the MH/caravan spares place less than 1km away from us has several different Reich ones on the shelf. Must be a difference between UK and Continental MH manufacturers.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
No! The Poles have good customer service.

OP
OP
Phod's

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
sorry, but from experience, it's a bin job. I even tried plastic welding one with a soldering iron. As soon as the pump kicks in the vibration and pressure shears it straight off again
Great point, hadn’t thought about that.........ok now I’m convinced and will bite the bullet and fit a new one now.
It makes sense I know......thanks to all especially Lenny and Big1

OP
OP
Phod's

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
Finally got around to buying a new Reich pump and replaced it.......as I'd said before it's an easy job OR it would be if the cable that can obviously only come from inside of the water tank to the outside but in my Burstner the tank sits under one of the bench seats and is L shaped!!!!
And yes the cable hole is in the top of the L which is only 50mm wide and about 400mm high, therefore close on impossible to feed a cable back up and out!!!
So I drilled the hole out, so it took a short piece of hose to feed the cable through so if I ever have to repair/replace it again, it'll only take 10 mins to do.
All joints and holes re sealed etc so no water can escape which would be unlikely as it's a very high spot and so it cannot siphon any water back out.
All tested and working now so just waiting to get Christmas at the mother in laws over and off to Normandy for new year.

OP
OP
Phod's

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
I was eventually convinced and then concerned about vibration and the repair breaking as Lenny and Big1 mentioned so I replaced it.........but I also repaired the old pump using a grade marine epoxy resin and I'll keep this as a spare should I ever need it but the way I have now replaced and used the hose pipe, means I can replace in minutes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back