European motorhomes. (1 Viewer)

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
As anyone got a European manufacturer do a motorhome 2 or 4 berth with only 2 travel seats.
Or do you of any European manufacturers do only 2 seats.
Also I see a lot of European motorhome don’t have ovens.
Thank you

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Not sure what you’re asking? Our MH has the two seats in the cab and then a sofa arrangement around the table. Seat belts can be used if someone travels sitting on the sofas.

You don’t need a gas oven. They are useless in MHs, they heat everything up and don’t cook very well. We use a small electric oven called a Remoska for inside and a Cadac for outside.

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
By only 2 travel seats are you looking for a van with side bench seats in the lounge? Most discontinued those a few years ago.
Most Euro vans have an option of an oven. Our van had the option of a TecTower or a full Thetford cooker, we had the TecTower as the cooker lost too much storage space.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We want a van with no extras travel seats and no fixed table to give us more room.
As for oven how do you do your roast, it would be hard to be without one
Wouldnt want the hassle of having to put up a table every time we stopped, love a fixed table.
Certainly couldn't be bothered with cooking a roast when on holiday but we only have 2 or 3 a year at home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rds559
Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Never had a fixed table but don’t put our all the time we like open motorhome not for 4 people just 2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Depends on what size of MH your looking at,Pilote have a few without the half dinette seating arrangement,the table can always be removed.Some may say they have four travelling seats,they are made by altering the bench seats. Most european vans sold into the UK have ovens,although we have never used ours,nor the one in the caravan we had.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Couldn't manage without an oven. The microwave could be easily forgotten, but without an oven I'd be really struggling to heat up some of the essentials like Lancashire Hot Pot (so I can then tip it over myself and the carpet - see another thread). Unless you have a massive battery bank I can't see how you are going to do an electric oven in a MH.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am not sure what your question is.

Both the motorhomes we have owned were European makes, previous Adria and present Hymer. Both had a total of 4 full seatbelts on forward facing seats. The belts on the bench seat could be hidden from view, so do not get in the way with two up.

We have the Dometic Tech Tower with fridge, freezer and oven in the Hymer. and it suits us fine. Cooks most things OK, but is smaller and slower than at home. Use it mainly to cook or heat up things that we have bought or made at home.

Never used it to cook roast meals. If we want one of those when we are away we go to a pub for it. And no washing up as well!

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We use the oven in our Pilote frequently
My other half does Quiches , Casseroles and even makes the odd tray of fairy cakes
It works fine

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rds559
Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
I’m asking as we have Bailey Autograph 75-2 no fixed table bench seats and it’s very open.
Can not take it to Spain to expensive that’s why asking about European vans.
When we enter a vans with 4 seats they around a table that we don’t want

Last edited:
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We want a van with no extras travel seats and no fixed table to give us more room.
As for oven how do you do your roast, it would be hard to be without one
Remoska cooks everything. I did a Turkey roast yesterday, with carrots, roast potatoes, broccoli and stuffing.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Why write something like this when you have no Idea?
Sorry, if I disagree but that’s my opinion. I’ll tell you why, generally the ovens in MHs don’t cook that well. I’ve had four and yes they do work. I’ve happily heated up pizzas and ready meals etc, when in the UK. My biggest problem is that they heat up the MH as well as your food, not great if it’s a hot day.

On the other hand, a Remoska does a great job, but doesn’t heat up the MH. I prefer a different way but I’m very happy for those who like their fixed ovens. :dance2:

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Loo
Couldn't manage without an oven. The microwave could be easily forgotten, but without an oven I'd be really struggling to heat up some of the essentials like Lancashire Hot Pot (so I can then tip it over myself and the carpet - see another thread). Unless you have a massive battery bank I can't see how you are going to do an electric oven in a MH.
Look at the Remoskas.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We took the supplied table out of our van and it's stored away. We have a folding table that is quick and easy to put up when we need it. The only time we use the supplied table is when we would need to make up the third double bed in the van - which isn't often.

We don't have an oven and I can roast meat using my slow cooker. It's very low power and I use it either when we are traveling (it runs off a small inverter and sits inside a bowl in the kitchen sink - water pump off) or on EHU if we are on a site. You can also buy rotisserie chicken at some supermarkets. I also have a small electric pressure cooker (EHU only) which will do all sorts of stuff.

Our van has the two swivel seats at the front, dinette travel seats facing forward and a side bench seat. I also sometimes sit at the back (transverse bed) with my back against the shower room wall and feet under the rear lockers and with pillows giving support where needed.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a 2019 Burstner 736 A class two belted seats as standard. The side settees convert into two forward facing belted travel seats ours is a four berth but the two berth version also has four belted travel seats. As to the oven our previous van had a thetford full cooker oven separate grill, the gas rings and one electric. Lived in it whilst working away for nine months, great to be able to cook full roasts extra especially in the winter. So it gets a bit warm in the summer just don’t cook so many full meals or use the Barbeque. The burstners oven is next to us less and the gas ring hob too small. Horses for courses

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Remoska may be fine if you are on hook up so have power. But if you are off grid, you'll need a decent set of batteries and inverter set up. And a van big enough that you've got the worktop space for it, and then also the storage space whilst you are on the move. We all have different needs and uses.

I get the concern that some of the motorhome gas ovens don't seem as efficient as you'd have at home. My Thetford Triplex hob/ oven certainly seems a bit slower, and temperature no where near as even as the electric fan oven at home. But then most things squeezed into the motorhome have compromises due to the space limits. Warm weather I'll be outside with the BBQ cremating something. Weather like this weekend, the escaping heat from the oven just replaced the need to use the van's heater. Even so I'm no cook, so oven is about heating stuff up, so I'd have no idea if it were capable of doing roast, baking or whatever the adventurous chef might have attempted.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Le Voyageur. It has two bench seats at the front, which have 2 travelling seats tucked under if needed. This can be taken out.
We have a split table, so it folds in half. Lots of lounge room

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2011
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
It’s difficult to find a European ‘van without rear travel /belted seats behind a fixed table. They don’t seem to do lounges (to lounge in). Pilote did an A class a while back with parallel seating and removable table, I believe it was specifically for the UK market. It felt really spacious, but it was a rarity. I was looking for a PVC with no front travel seats. Now got a front generous lounge Wildax with massive kitchen inc. full cooker, -result!

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Remoska may be fine if you are on hook up so have power. But if you are off grid, you'll need a decent set of batteries and inverter set up. And a van big enough that you've got the worktop space for it, and then also the storage space whilst you are on the move. We all have different needs and uses.

I get the concern that some of the motorhome gas ovens don't seem as efficient as you'd have at home. My Thetford Triplex hob/ oven certainly seems a bit slower, and temperature no where near as even as the electric fan oven at home. But then most things squeezed into the motorhome have compromises due to the space limits. Warm weather I'll be outside with the BBQ cremating something. Weather like this weekend, the escaping heat from the oven just replaced the need to use the van's heater. Even so I'm no cook, so oven is about heating stuff up, so I'd have no idea if it were capable of doing roast, baking or whatever the adventurous chef might have attempted.
We have decent batteries and an inverter. You don’t need a big MH, our Remoska sits happily over the sink. It stores in the drawer where the crappy oven used to be.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
It’s difficult to find a European ‘van without rear travel /belted seats behind a fixed table. They don’t seem to do lounges (to lounge in). Pilote did an A class a while back with parallel seating and removable table, I believe it was specifically for the UK market. It felt really spacious, but it was a rarity. I was looking for a PVC with no front travel seats. Now got a front generous lounge Wildax with massive kitchen inc. full cooker, -result!

They still do low profile Pacific 720 & 740 FGJ and A class Galaxy 740,741 & 781 FGJ,these are the twin bedded versions,island beds are FC,you can soon take the table out 👍

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I agree that the table can get in the way but some European m/h's do have a removable one.
I also agree that additional seat belts are an unnecessary addition (you can remove some).
Manufacturers have decided what the market is and four seat belts seems to be the norm even if irrational. They tend to copy/follow each other and are reluctant to change.
It may be that a Brit van will answer your desire for more space better than a European one. Europeans spend more time outside than inside and less time sheltering from rain. Brit vans tend to suffer poor quality, however. You'll get ovens and even electric hobs on most Brit vans because that's what the Brit market is perceived to require.
As for cooking, there are many alternatives to using a conventional gas oven. You can cook substantial meals in a MrDee or use an Omnia on a gas hop, for example. No need for electricity, or to squander precious 12V amps for cooking. I have used inverters for Remoska and microwave cooking but know better, now.
Change your lifestyle when out and about, it's all part of the adventure and satisfaction. You may wish to continue to live as if nothing has changed but they are unlikely to get below 3.5t if you do.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They don’t seem to do lounges (to lounge in). !
Sorry, have to disagree there. The most comfortable seats in our motorhome are the Aguti driver and passenger seats which have headrests and recline. So we just spin them round and recline them and put our feet up on the seats immediately behind. Nice head and neck support and we can get the right angle to watch the TV or read or just snooze.

I have never been able to get as comfortable in British converter's rear lounge seats. The backs are usually too low to give my head or neck any support and if I lie further down and rest my head on the top of the back cushion I always end up with a crick in the neck. .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back