May 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer T656
Exp
I am a newbie
No offense taken Bev,

If I may just enlighten you to the advantages of this chart can I suggest a short tutorial !

Once the chart has loaded click on "Instruments". This will give you a drop down list of exchange currencies e.g. GBP/EUR or EUR/GBP as most people willl probably be interested in.

Next click "Chart Type". I prefer "line" but that is your choice. (Can't be doing with those Fibonacci whatsits)

You then have a choice of time scales ranging fom 1 minute to months.

If you look at "weeks (W)" for instance, you can see that the Pound is at a high against the Euro since approximately November 2008

Hope this helps. :Smile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
EUR/GBP Put it on `W` for weeks, choose `candlesticks`under the word Instruments and next week you might see a blue candle, meaning the EUR is getting stronger against the pound and we get less EUR`s to the pound.

Or at least I hope so......:Smile:

offwego

Free Member
May 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer T656
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi Encantador,

I am certainly not a financial whiz, but at the risk of being controversial I can't see the Euro strengthening against the Pound in the near future. The huge debt and austeity problems that Greece is experiencing at the moment, not to mention the monetary difficulties that Spain, Italy and Portugal are enduring leads me to believe that the Pound is seen as something of a "safe haven".
I stand to be corrected if my point of view is wrong !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hi Encantador,

I am certainly not a financial whiz, but at the risk of being controversial I can't see the Euro strengthening against the Pound in the near future. The huge debt and austeity problems that Greece is experiencing at the moment, not to mention the monetary difficulties that Spain, Italy and Portugal are enduring leads me to believe that the Pound is seen as something of a "safe haven".
I stand to be corrected if my point of view is wrong !!

I agree, any rise (blue candle) if and when it comes may well be followed by more red candles as it drops further. markets often retrace before continuing in the direction they were heading.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so where is this bank that sells it at that rate

You need to shout at your bank Smudger that works out at £1.2764 Euro to the £ - I would say £1.26 ish would be nearer the mark - Thats about £112 they have didled you out of :Eeek:

Tell me Bill which bank is offering that exchange rate .. I hunted about yesterday and found about £1.21 was the best on the high street.. M&S, Post Office, travel agents etc., I could get 1.5 points more from Caxton FX on my euro card.. but no one was offering anywhere near 1.27

so tell me where I can get this great deal.

I purchased £1k yesterday at 2 points above what I sold it to my travel agents 2 months ago.. I thought I did well. But, this is out of the world.

I can see the market prices being quoted higher, but the tourist rate is always 4 to 5 points off.

Or are you saying Bill that Derek exchanging his his euros in to sterling is this rate? if that is the case why not see who wants to buy the euros and do a split so both parties win.. will mean a funster does better and Derek (Smudger) does not lose so much on the deal.?????

Bob:Blush:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Here is today's XE Currency Update

€ to the £ 1.253 today.

Time to jump in Geo, or will it go higher? :winky:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Euro exchange rate

I am waiting until after today's meeting between Merkel vs Hollande as I believe there might be better rates to come. €1.30 :Smile: It's unlikely to go down for now.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
As i am an on the spot merchant, when I am off to France, i,ll just but what is available at the time, After all im, on Bleaden holiday,when I go into a bar, i don,nt think what it is costing me, be it 1.22 or 123 to the pound..........Yippee:roflmto:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I know what you mean novawight, but if your changing £1,500 spending money over to euro it all adds up . More to spend when you get there .
We still havn't bought ours , but we are going to get one of those pre paid cards as well now after chatting canopus and pablomc over the weekend .
We are still waiting to see what goes on as far as Greece is concerned :whatthe:
3 weeks till we fly.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You have bought: €614.50 Euros
(at the FairFX Rate of £1 = €1.2290)
Which cost: £500.00
Discount Voucher: - £5.00
Total: £495.00 Pounds Sterling

Ralph decided to get a few at the above rate , we shall hold on a bit and see which way it goes next week.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
End of week blip possibly based on Mrs Muckles statement 'I have the mind and the willingness to keep Greece in the Eurozone' ( or words to that effect ).. Also Greece swore in yet ANOTHER temp govt, this one with many members who are once again leaning towards austerity but sensibly keeping quiet about it !!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect when it all starts to fall apart again about next Wednesday things ( as in the Euro ) may well start to fall again

Also to take in to consideration the semi-controlled run on the Spanish banks

WHY anyone would want to draw out a load of Euros is beyond me !!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I spoke to soon, Spanish bank news has it edging up again. Almost 3 days of falls though....

This is why I never try and judge it. I always buy just before I set off and never bother with trying to anticipate the market:Doh:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
This is the site I use..

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter/?u#from=EUR;to=GBP;amt=1

very easy to use and easy to select what currency you want to see..

Been using it for about 10 years now ( and even after they 'improved' it, it was still ok ! :thumb:

I too use the Yahoo site on my laptop and PC....:thumb:

And on my iPhone and iPad I use....

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/currency/id284220417?mt=8

It is very fast, very simple, and so easy to enter an amount in any currency, and see several conversion values at the same time. And it's free.....:thumb:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
today Caxton FX was 1.216 and cash at my local travel agents 1.21 so added some more to the pile..

Bob

And me Bob, Setting of in the next two hours so hope we've done the right thing, but at the end of the day unless your changing thousands it wont matter all that much,weather fore cast in the Italian lake district looks a bit wet for the next few days. :cry:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
a couple of cream cakes in it

Well, I got the value of a couple of cream cakes ...

Last year it ranged between 1.10 and 1.18 and now 1.20 and 1.21 I got rid of a shed full of Euros a while back.. first time I have made a profit on an exchange rate.
I did £1k last week and £500 this week.. have enough for the next trip in stock now.. so will not be buying any more unless it goes silly.

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I might buy a caravan ( to put in storage) when I am in Spain this year. How would you clever people play it? Should I take about 6k in euros( all I will pay) or should I do it at a bank in Spain and if so what's the best way?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back