Eldis Majestic 115 weird blown air heating (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I've just rung Marquis (under warranty)to report the cab air outlet duct does not blow warm air when on gas or 240v when the lounge and bathroom blow hot. So had a good look at the pipework. The heater is situated under the floor in an enclosed box. 2 pipes attach to this box marked inlet and outlet. The outlet feeds hot air to the main area and the bathroom only. The intlet pipe leads to the cab outlet that I thought just blew cold air until I tested it with a sheet of paper that sucked it inwards proving this was in fact sucking the cab air into the heating system.
So, as the cab area is the coldest uninsulated area of the van I may consider alternative piping?

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
But as the habitation area warms up the cab vent draws warm air through the cab and then back through the heater back into the hab area.
In cooler months invest in some silverscreens

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
But as the habitation area warms up the cab vent draws warm air through the cab and then back through the heater back into the hab area.
In cooler months invest in some silverscreens
Yes thanks I had worked that out with the recirculation of cab air rather than drawing very cold air from the outside but a bit surprised that Marquis service staff were unaware of this system. We have always used external screens on the cab area for many years and have had 10 van changes during this time but have never had any with this system of recycled heating. Thanks for your input.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Yes thanks I had worked that out with the recirculation of cab air rather than drawing very cold air from the outside but a bit surprised that Marquis service staff were unaware of this system. We have always used external screens on the cab area for many years and have had 10 van changes during this time but have never had any with this system of recycled heating. Thanks for your input.
it used to pull the air from under the fixed bed on our last van a 155 i will check tomorrow if its the same system on our bailey 75-2.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They always re-cycle - but the inlet is normally somewhere less obtrusive. Early Carver systems had a flap so you could choose but drawing in outside air is only useful if you can do it in warmer weather with the heater off / fan on. In cold weather the heater would never keep up.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
They always re-cycle - but the inlet is normally somewhere less obtrusive. Early Carver systems had a flap so you could choose but drawing in outside air is only useful if you can do it in warmer weather with the heater off / fan on. In cold weather the heater would never keep up.
Every other motorhome or caravan that we've had has never displayed a heater outlet that did anything but blow into the living or bathroom areas and this goes way back to our first van in the early 80's. As @Paul and Kate said the inlet on their moho was from a locker area so more appropriate in my opinion and something I've already considered adopting when the warranty expires.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Every other motorhome or caravan that we've had has never displayed a heater outlet that did anything but blow into the living or bathroom areas and this goes way back to our first van in the early 80's. As @Paul and Kate said the inlet on their moho was from a locker area so more appropriate in my opinion and something I've already considered adopting when the warranty expires.

As I said "the inlet is normally somewhere less obtrusive" by which I meant the locker in which the heater is situated (if indoors) or some similar location. It makes sense for an external heater to have a neat hose termination - it just looks a bit odd when one expects it to blow hot air. Maybe the answer is to use that termination as an outlet by teeing into the heater outlet. Then run a new intake duct to a location of your choice?

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
As I said "the inlet is normally somewhere less obtrusive" by which I meant the locker in which the heater is situated (if indoors) or some similar location. It makes sense for an external heater to have a neat hose termination - it just looks a bit odd when one expects it to blow hot air. Maybe the answer is to use that termination as an outlet by teeing into the heater outlet. Then run a new intake duct to a location of your choice?
Exactly my intention. What makes my van's heating more unsatisfactory is that the two heated air outlets terminate in the last 5 feet of the rear kitchen end of the van so just one blower in the last third of the living area while the bathroom area melts! I will really need to restrict the wasted flow to this small area unless wet clothes drying! The locker area will be the ideal location for the inlet as it only houses our footwear. Thanks for your input.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Exactly my intention. What makes my van's heating more unsatisfactory is that the two heated air outlets terminate in the last 5 feet of the rear kitchen end of the van so just one blower in the last third of the living area while the bathroom area melts! I will really need to restrict the wasted flow to this small area unless wet clothes drying! The locker area will be the ideal location for the inlet as it only houses our footwear. Thanks for your input.
When you fit your tee use the branch for the existing outlets (if the layout of the heater itself allows you to do so). That should have the effect you desire. On most vans I've owned I've kept the bathroom outlet closed unless needed - just about enough heat escapes to keep the bathroom warm. Anyway I can feel smug now ;) - the van I bought earlier this year has ALDE heating - radiators everywhere and an underfloor heating system. It even has a radiator below the windscreen. It's my first experience of the system and the even temperature throughout the van is a revelation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
When you fit your tee use the branch for the existing outlets (if the layout of the heater itself allows you to do so). That should have the effect you desire. On most vans I've owned I've kept the bathroom outlet closed unless needed - just about enough heat escapes to keep the bathroom warm. Anyway I can feel smug now ;) - the van I bought earlier this year has ALDE heating - radiators everywhere and an underfloor heating system. It even has a radiator below the windscreen. It's my first experience of the system and the even temperature throughout the van is a revelation.
Sounds a super system! I'll have to insert another T piece to the heater outlet then a short pipe for the inlet within the locker. It will be a suck it and see as there are 2 air vents in the locker floor which may introduce too much outside air and possibly ruin the recycling advantage.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Every other motorhome or caravan that we've had has never displayed a heater outlet that did anything but blow.

There's always a chance it was a cock up, should have been a outlet but they ran out of ports and disguised the error by putting it on the inlet.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sounds a super system! I'll have to insert another T piece to the heater outlet then a short pipe for the inlet within the locker. It will be a suck it and see as there are 2 air vents in the locker floor which may introduce too much outside air and possibly ruin the recycling advantage.
Let us know how you go on. I've modified blown air in most of my vans (caravans before mhs) to try to get a better spread of heat with varying levels of success - although most times there was some improvement.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
There's always a chance it was a cock up, should have been a outlet but they ran out of ports and disguised the error by putting it on the inlet.
I thought that at first but @Paul and Kate said they had a van (same mark) that had the same setup but the inlet was fed from inside a locker unlike mine from a vent in the cab area.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Let us know how you go on. I've modified blown air in most of my vans (caravans before mhs) to try to get a better spread of heat with varying levels of success - although most times there was some improvement.
Will do when I've located the bits. I must say the the power of the blow and heat far exceeds our previous vans allthough through less portals!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
No, IMO that sounds more like a cock-up in the build. Inlet from somewhere close to the boiler, such as it's own locker. The cab outlet should be connected into the existing outlet hoses, as you are proposing. That's how it is in my Bolero although I have to admit by the time the warm air reaches the cab outlet it's not very warm. It's no wonder Marquis staff didn't understand it.

Why not email the factory?

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
No, IMO that sounds more like a cock-up in the build. Inlet from somewhere close to the boiler, such as it's own locker. The cab outlet should be connected into the existing outlet hoses, as you are proposing. That's how it is in my Bolero although I have to admit by the time the warm air reaches the cab outlet it's not very warm. It's no wonder Marquis staff didn't understand it.

Why not email the factory?
Hi @TerryL, I think the system of recycling the van air is sound enough but the cold air inlet is in the wrong place in my opinion. As @Paul and Kate reported they had the 155 layout with the same system but the cold air inlet was fed from within a floor locker. I must add that when we collected the van there was no service document, no habitation or damp test documents and no MOT certidicate in the documents bag. When I queried this with the sales guy dealing with us he said that they no longer issued these as everything was now recordered on the computer! I emailed requesting these documents and they were eventually found barring the MOT cert that we later found in one of the glove boxes. The same guy had never heard the term PVC!!! and had been in the business 20 odd years. Anyway when I have temporarily trialed modifying the pipework I will report back.

lozbou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2016
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Where in the cab is the vent, I had a 16 plate 195 and can’t think where they could put one. Be careful if you mess with an inlet you could end up overheating the heater elements.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Where in the cab is the vent, I had a 16 plate 195 and can’t think where they could put one. Be careful if you mess with an inlet you could end up overheating the heater elements.

We have a 2015 195, the inlet vent faces forward & is positioned under the half dinette seat base, our heating works fine.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
The inlet vent is directly facing the rear of the driver's seat. This leaves one heated outlet into the living area. The main area heating is temperature controlled.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
We have a 2015 195, the inlet vent faces forward & is positioned under the half dinette seat base, our heating works fine.
No problems with the heat that blasts out of the single living area vent but the vent is the only vent in the last third of the van while the only other heated vent turns the bathroom into a kiln!!!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
No problems with the heat that blasts out of the single living area vent but the vent is the only vent in the last third of the van while the only other heated vent turns the bathroom into a kiln!!!

Doesn't the bathroom vent have a flap to reduce / close output ?

Our van is longer than the 115 & yet the rear lounge gets warm rapidly with the only rear facing output vent at the side of the half dinette, which is in the front third of the hab' area.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Doesn't the bathroom vent have a flap to reduce / close output ?

Our van is longer than the 115 & yet the rear lounge gets warm rapidly with the only rear facing output vent at the side of the half dinette, which is in the front third of the hab' area.
Unfortunately none of the 3 vents have this facility which I will change - about £4 each I have seen. Are you saying that you have more than one heated outlet? we have the rear kitchen and middle lounge with single heated outlet at the rear. This rear area and the bathroom is toast.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Unfortunately none of the 3 vents have this facility which I will change - about £4 each I have seen. Are you saying that you have more than one heated outlet? we have the rear kitchen and middle lounge with single heated outlet at the rear. This rear area and the bathroom is toast.

We have 2 heater / vent outlets, one in the bathroom, which I agree can get very warm, hence the output flap, & the other one as previously stated is at the central aisle side of the half dinette & faces the rear, yet this vent more than adequately heats both the rear & middle lounge / half dinette.

Is your heating system thermostatically controlled ?

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
We have 2 heater / vent outlets, one in the bathroom, which I agree can get very warm, hence the output flap, & the other one as previously stated is at the central aisle side of the half dinette & faces the rear, yet this vent more than adequately heats both the rear & middle lounge / half dinette.

Is your heating system thermostatically controlled ?
I would say yes....but have not seen a sensor anywhere so will investigate paperwork.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Update. All done now, cost about £20 for black lagging and 'Y' connector. Will reshape and shorten pipework to lounge and shower room - too many sharp bends that blown air heating doesn't like. BTW the Whale 'Y' connector has been insulated inside for protection against the very hot air from the close proximity of the heater outlet. The new air inlet has a wire mesh cover to prevent debris for being drawn into the fanned system.

01 IMG_3065.jpg

02 IMG_3060.jpg
03 IMG_3066.jpg

04 IMG_3067.jpg

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Cheers Tony - will see how it fairs during the Winter months - fast approaching:eek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Should there be a filter of some sort to stop crap being sucked into the inlet ?

Sad innit !

Ignore me and I'll try reading next time.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Final update;
Shortened the lounge tubing for a better flow and increased the tubing length from the heater outlet to the 'Y' fitting as uncomfortable with the extreme heat generated from this Whale heater. Final pic below. Thanks all for your input.(y)
Vin

05 IMG_3070.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Your Y has had an erection.

Details would be appreciated, not by me you understand.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Your Y has had an erection.

Details would be appreciated, not by me you understand.
The longer erection of the 'Y' fitting was to protect this plastic unit from the fierce heat from the heater outlet. The earlier 'T' shaped version had to be installed with the trunking attached to the top of the 'T' so that the hot air did not damage the plastic that could occur if connected to the bottom of the original 'T' fitting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back