EBAY'S 'SNEAKY' FEES SCAM! Please read this so it doesn't happen to you. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be very, VERY, careful if you sell anything on Ebay using 'Fixed Price' listings now as they can scam you for extra fees that you weren't aware of, supposedly because they are making things better for sellers!

On Fixed Price listings you CANNOT alter the number of days an item is 'live' for as it defaults to 'Good 'til Sold' which means if they don't sell in a calendar month the items will be automatically relisted by Ebay and as a consequence these items will 'lose' their £1 FVF rate and fall into the normal 10% FVF rate. You CANNOT opt out of the automatic relisting which makes it even worse than sneaky, I feel that its a massive scam!

The ONLY way to avoid this is to keep a check of items you've listed at Fixed Priced and if they haven't sold cancel them before 30 days is up (28 days if February).

I've been clearing stuff out in anticipation of a move at some point so when Ebay has a '£1 final value fee' offer I make use of that to reduce my fees and usually do 'Fixed Price' listings but I have found out the hard way that I've been 'scammed' by Ebay to pay higher final value fees (FVF) than the £1 offer I was supposed to be paying because of the recent sneaky changes they've made ... I'm not a happy bunny as you can imagine! :mad:

You have been warned!

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper PVC
Exp
Since 2014
I was hoping Gumtree could take on eBay a few years ago.

Then eBay bought them out :rolleyes:o_O

We need a competitor...

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Be very, VERY, careful if you sell anything on Ebay using 'Fixed Price' listings now as they can scam you for extra fees that you weren't aware of, supposedly because they are making things better for sellers!

On Fixed Price listings you CANNOT alter the number of days an item is 'live' for as it defaults to 'Good 'til Sold' which means if they don't sell in a calendar month the items will be automatically relisted by Ebay and as a consequence these items will 'lose' their £1 FVF rate and fall into the normal 10% FVF rate. You CANNOT opt out of the automatic relisting which makes it even worse than sneaky, I feel that its a massive scam!

View attachment 308491

The ONLY way to avoid this is to keep a check of items you've listed at Fixed Priced and if they haven't sold cancel them before 30 days is up (28 days if February).

I've been clearing stuff out in anticipation of a move at some point so when Ebay has a '£1 final value fee' offer I make use of that to reduce my fees and usually do 'Fixed Price' listings but I have found out the hard way that I've been 'scammed' by Ebay to pay higher final value fees (FVF) than the £1 offer I was supposed to be paying because of the recent sneaky changes they've made ... I'm not a happy bunny as you can imagine! :mad:

You have been warned!
Also they scam you for listing fees. It's only free for upto 100pm
If you put a fixed price listing on GTS when it finishes they will relist it for you and charge you a listing fee
However if you just do 30 days then relist it's free.
We racked up £50 in fees over a few months before we noticed.
We were selling a bit to begin with just never looked at invoices properly
GRRRR
Wife used to run a craft business still got plenty of stock let so listed oots recently to try to shift it.
Didn't work still by Ebay PayPal fees
Stung by postage costs
Might try bulk listings next otherwise would rather donate to charity.
I remember when Ebay used to be fun

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I wondered why my balance was going down so quick! Just sold a load of stuff on fixed price. I had already decided it wasn't worth it. This does not seem to be a long term business plan to scam customers so that is not worth their while selling. But what do I know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BossHog

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Fylde Coast
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
We listed a fixed price item also on eBay and was contacted by a potential buyer who requested my mobile number to arrange a viewing. The potential buyer never contacted us or turned up, we paid to have the item taken down and removed. A month later eBay deduct £54 via PayPal stating I had sold the item, which I challenged, they replied its in their T&C's you are not allowed to provide contact number or address, how do people view items ?......

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
We listed a fixed price item also on eBay and was contacted by a potential buyer who requested my mobile number to arrange a viewing. The potential buyer never contacted us or turned up, we paid to have the item taken down and removed. A month later eBay deduct £54 via PayPal stating I had sold the item, which I challenged, they replied its in their T&C's you are not allowed to provide contact number or address, how do people view items ?......
Yup did that to me once even thou I sold via gumtree but as I was messaged asking for personal details charged me a fee. I complained got no where.

Worse one I had was sold a 3d printer for my son £300.
Listed with and without insurance, buyer never paid insurance so I contacted them advising them no insurance
They were not bothered so I posted via Hermes. It arrived damaged buyer sent me photos, I tried to assist in fixing, buyer put complaint in stating faulty, Ebay took funds from my PayPal and refused to accept was working and buyer admitted damaged in transit
Told me should have insisted on Insurance it's my fault.
Eventually after plenty of phone calls got someone to listen but bottom line was if buyer returned item I had to refund. WtF
Thankfully in the end he never returned it.
There is absolutely NO sellers protection at all.
I know peeps sold items buyer said never recd and refund issued on expensive items then buyers lists later.
I always post via Hermes now where possible so its tracked and generally pay for a signature

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you put a fixed price listing on GTS when it finishes they will relist it for you and charge you a listing fee
However if you just do 30 days then relist it's free.
You can't do a fixed price listing for 30 days, or any other duration, as it only allows GTS now so a LOT of people will be getting caught by this scam.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
You can't do a fixed price listing for 30 days, or any other duration, as it only allows GTS now so a LOT of people will be getting caught by this scam.
Wow didn't realise changed 1st April
Not listed for a couple of months
Like you say SCAM ebay getting worse.
Just read small print of free listings

Eligibility for free listings
The following will count toward your monthly allocation of free listings:
  • Manually relisted items
  • Automatically relisted items if you're a business seller
  • Good 'Til Cancelled listings (at the time of first listing). If you're a private seller, renewed Good til Cancelled listings will not be deducted from your allocation of free listings the following month

So nothing changed if auto relist as a private seller you will get charged a fee.
As you said need to manually close pre 30 days then relist.
Hidden in small print not mentioned on selling or fees page.!!!!!

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Just found this on Ebay community page
Update:

Received an email from eBay regarding changes coming up from July 1st onwards, and it states the following:

"On 1 July, we’ll be changing the renewal process for Good ‘Til Cancelled listings from every 30 days to one renewal per calendar month. The exact day of the month that the renewals will take place will depend on the initial listing start date.
Renewals of those GTC listings will happen automatically every month and will be free of charge. Only selling fees will apply."

So it is confirmed by eBay that, for private sellers, GTC listings will be free of charge and not billed at 35p per listing. This ties in with what others have reported on this thread so far.

It also states the following, regarding auto relists for auctions (under the advanced listing tool):

"Automatically relisted items won’t be charged insertion or optional listing upgrade fees. Final value fees still apply"

That definitely helps clarify things regarding these auto relists.

Looks like finally sorted listing fees. However as OP says you will still only get the £1 max seller fee on first listing not auto relists

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Last time I sold something for a profit I think it was in the Classified ads in. The Nottingham Evening Post. Probably around 1969.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another thing you have to be watchful of is the ability to buy postage via Ebay for Hermes, it can be a few pence cheaper for stuff which is worth up to £25 (excluding P&P), but if its over that and you want the enhanced compensation, eg for something sold for £100 plus £10 P&P Ebay uses the total transaction figure to calculate the compensation so £110 which means you're paying for compensation for your postage cost too which is stupid! PLUS you can ONLY have this enhanced compensation with the signature too, so that adds another 80p, whereas if you do it direct with Hermes you can get the compensation but don't have to have the signature.

I like the fact that you can do the postage via Ebay as it makes it much easier BUT you do have to be careful with when you use it.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I have heard generally good things about Facebook Marketplace. I’ve only used it for a few things too big to bother with posting, but it’s gone ok. No fees at all.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have heard generally good things about Facebook Marketplace. I’ve only used it for a few things too big to bother with posting, but it’s gone ok. No fees at all.
Where do you find it ... I can't even find my 'wall' on there!

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Where do you find it ... I can't even find my 'wall' on there!
On Facebook on a desktop browser its at the top left, underneath the links to your own profile, the news feed and messenger.

I also recommend it - have sold quite a few things through Marketplace....from small bits and bobs to a car. For things that I've an idea of a price I list on Marketplace first, I only really use Ebay for auctions now. Its totally free to list and buyers contact you through Messenger so its easy to track. I also think for larger purchases buyers have more confidence because they can see they're buying from a real person rather than just an anonymous screen name.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't think this applies to a classified ad for a motorhome £19.99 final value fees N/A
Fixed Price ad £11.99 +1% final value fee £45 max
Correct, the extortionate final value fees for motor auction & fixed price listings doesn't happen now, about the ONLY thing that's good!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back