Easy engine pre-heater fit? (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
A couple of years ago I fitted a heater under the diner bench seat. Heater matrix fed with water by tapping into the cab heater pipes under the bonnet and twin 12v fans providing the airflow. It works really well.
I'm considering fitting one of these 2kw engine pre-heaters for better starting in the winter.
Screenshot_20201214-215120.png
My question is, for ease of installation can I just connect it into the same pipework under the bench or will the thermostat prevent the hot water circulating around the engine. Its a
Peugeot 2.5td if that makes any difference.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi..ive done similar on a ford transit with a hydronic diesel heater.. I plumbed it into the existing heater heat exchanger pipework...
There will likely still be circulation round the engine block..the thermostat will eventually open opening up the radiator circut..
Odly enough my issue was stopping the engine heating up when I was running the heater while parked and only wanting van heating or hot water.. I had to install a solenoid valve to prevent flow round the engine block...
If you are just installing it as an engine pre heat device what you propose sounds OK to me..
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At 2kw you would only be able to use it when on EHU and then the outlet would need to be 10amp.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A couple of years ago I fitted a heater under the diner bench seat. Heater matrix fed with water by tapping into the cab heater pipes under the bonnet and twin 12v fans providing the airflow. It works really well.
I'm considering fitting one of these 2kw engine pre-heaters for better starting in the winter.
View attachment 448698
My question is, for ease of installation can I just connect it into the same pipework under the bench or will the thermostat prevent the hot water circulating around the engine. Its a
Peugeot 2.5td if that makes any difference.
I have a similar one.

I only use it on really cold mornings though.

It works pretty well, but you can’t beat a diesel heater.

I used to love the “rest” function on my older sprinters, not sure why Mercedes remover it. Oh, and my previous sprinters either had a diesel add heater. That could be converted to a pre-heater/standing heater. Or the PTC electric boost heaters

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Cheers guys, I'm reassured that it should work so I'll give it a try. Worst case I would just need to re-plumb it to the engine side of the thermostat. I only want it for really cold winter weather when I've parked up for a few days walking or skiing. In both cases I would be on winter campsites so 10 amps won't be a problem. 👍

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Plumbing into the heater side of the cooling system is the way to go, the thermostat won’t open until 88C/90C so the hot water will only warm up the engine, ( exactly what you want)
I have a Kenlowe hot start on my old Land Rover and it works a treat, same principle,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back