E-Bikes: Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Bike (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi, I'm looking for a hybrid e-bike to ride from home on the local roads/lanes and on Sustrans surfaced cycle tracks. I've spotted that a few forum members have purchased Cube Kathmandu e-bikes which look like they'd fit the bill very well.

There are so many different model variations but I think I've narrowed my search down to either the 2021 model (when it's available) Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625 Low Step - or the Kathmandu Hybrid ONE 625 Low Step.

Both bikes have the 625 WH battery, and the Bosch CX GEN4 85Nm drive unit.

I'd be really interested to hear of any +/- experience with the Cube Kathmandu e-bikes, and anything I should be looking out for or avoiding - or any of the other Cube models to look at.

Thanks in advance! 🚴‍♂️

crossy

Free Member
Feb 6, 2016
Tameside
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726g Sovereign
Exp
5 yrs
I’ve just ordered the Kathmandu Hybrid pro 625 so I’m interested to see what is said about th bike. 🙂

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi..had a couple of other Cube eBikes..not the style/year you are asking about...but they served us well...the point that does cause me to reply is the Motor/Battery choice.... don't think you will find any better on this or next years models, so far....the motors are now being so well refined, batteries offering more power...more miles...great choice....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
I agree wholeheartedly with Jumar. We purchased two Cube K bikes last December (2020 models) and are absolutely delighted with them.
We used them extensively in France and Spain back in March (before lockdown) and couldn't fault their performance.
We even hitch up a dog trailer to one of them to allow us to take our dog on the longer trips, and this trailer also doubles as a 'shopping trolley'. I estimate that on occasions I have been towing an additional 50-60kgs and you wouldn't even know it.
The battery capacity is brilliant and have not (yet) run out of charge despite some hilly terrain and dog!!
Not cheap at £2600 each, but so far have proved to be excellent.
Good luck.
Andrew

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I’ve just ordered the Kathmandu Hybrid pro 625 so I’m interested to see what is said about th bike. 🙂

Hi Crossy! Thanks very much for your reply! I'm really pleased to see that the feedback is really positive, so I'm sure you're going to be delighted with your new bike when you get it! 😊 We have a Cube stockist fairly close to us which will make it straight forward to get it serviced etc. Good luck with your new bike - look forward to hearing hope you get on! 👍

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi..had a couple of other Cube eBikes..not the style/year you are asking about...but they served us well...the point that does cause me to reply is the Motor/Battery choice.... don't think you will find any better on this or next years models, so far....the motors are now being so well refined, batteries offering more power...more miles...great choice....

Hi Jumar! Thanks very much for your reply - it's great to hear that you have been pleased with your Cube bikes. Also thanks for your comments ref the motor/battery config - that's reassuring to know! 👍

Our local Giant stockist was trying to convince me that a 400 WH battery would be more than adequate for my requirements, but the Cube's 625 WH battery will hopefully future proof the bike for me.

I've got a Volt Metro folding ebike at the moment which I'll hang onto and we'll use it with the motorhome, but the battery on that has slowly deteriorated so 25 miles is the absolute maximum I can do. Unfortunately the wind caught the bike and it fell over when I was getting ready to go out on a ride. The control screen broke so I can only now see my speed but not how much battery is left, so it's a bit of a lottery as to whether it'll get me home if I've done the 25 mile circuit, and as it has a rear hub motor, trying to peddle it without power is like cycling through deep fine sand! It's going to be quite an expensive repair so I am going to leave it as it is and put the money towards the new bike!

Thanks again for your feedback! 😊

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I agree wholeheartedly with Jumar. We purchased two Cube K bikes last December (2020 models) and are absolutely delighted with them.
We used them extensively in France and Spain back in March (before lockdown) and couldn't fault their performance.
We even hitch up a dog trailer to one of them to allow us to take our dog on the longer trips, and this trailer also doubles as a 'shopping trolley'. I estimate that on occasions I have been towing an additional 50-60kgs and you wouldn't even know it.
The battery capacity is brilliant and have not (yet) run out of charge despite some hilly terrain and dog!!
Not cheap at £2600 each, but so far have proved to be excellent.
Good luck.
Andrew

Hi Tommo and Ca! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply! Your Cube bikes sound really great, especially as you can even tow the 🐕/🛍 trailer behind one of the bikes - and it's good news that you're yet to run out of power! I'm now really looking forward to getting my new bike.

As you say they're not cheap, but if the quality is good and I'm going to be able to get out and about on it exploring the Northumberland countryside (along with all the steep hills!) then it will hopefully be a good investment.

I've done around 800 miles since the start of lockdown on my Volt Metro folding bike. Unfortunately the route that I was mostly using to get to the network of quieter lanes is now back to its pre-lockdown cycling-unfriendly self, so I now have to start off my rides with a very steep climb, so the new bike will come in very handy for that! 🚵‍♀️

Thanks again for your feedback! 👍

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I have a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 2018 model. There are similarities with the Kathmandu with the Reaction being more off road rated. If I was buying today it would probably be the Kathmandu as I end up putting on mudguards and stuff, and am mostly sticking to canal towpaths, forest gravel trails rather than hard core trails.

Current 500 battery is only just enough for me, so I'd definitely want the 625 if available. At a porky 110Kg, even on eco setting, I covered around 40 miles on a mix of tarmac to gravel towpath Friday without much in the way of hills, and had probably 10 mile or so juice left.

I think the latest Bosch version 4 motor is supposed to be a lot better and smoother than the v 3 Active Line on my Cube, and I find that good. Version 4 also looks a lot more standard with a full size chainring where version three had very small ring that somehow rotated around 2.5 times for each full turn of the pedal. Weird and it meant if you were fast enough to be without power, you were turning the motor over yourself.

As with any bike, top tip is the standard saddle probably won't be comfortable for you, so get the cycle shop to help you find one suited to your backside - not a big cost in my case, around £30, but money well spent even with padded shorts.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Whilst not a Kathmandu we've had a Cube Cross Hybrid for about 2.5yrs now and it's been superb ! It's done about 3k km now and nearly all of that (99%) towing a dog trailer and most of the time with the woofers in it so a heavy load of around 60kgs. We only have the 400w battery and the entry level Bosch drive but it more than copes with it all. Mrs Ridgeway uses it daily and i every now and then. Super machines and i'm sure the 625w with Gen4 will be amazing !!!

Cube do a unique to bike stand ie it fits a pre-drilled hole on the rear stay, worth getting as it fits really well and is super solid.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi Jumar! Thanks very much for your reply - it's great to hear that you have been pleased with your Cube bikes. Also thanks for your comments ref the motor/battery config - that's reassuring to know! 👍

Our local Giant stockist was trying to convince me that a 400 WH battery would be more than adequate for my requirements, but the Cube's 625 WH battery will hopefully future proof the bike for me.

I've got a Volt Metro folding ebike at the moment which I'll hang onto and we'll use it with the motorhome, but the battery on that has slowly deteriorated so 25 miles is the absolute maximum I can do. Unfortunately the wind caught the bike and it fell over when I was getting ready to go out on a ride. The control screen broke so I can only now see my speed but not how much battery is left, so it's a bit of a lottery as to whether it'll get me home if I've done the 25 mile circuit, and as it has a rear hub motor, trying to peddle it without power is like cycling through deep fine sand! It's going to be quite an expensive repair so I am going to leave it as it is and put the money towards the new bike!

Thanks again for your feedback! 😊
The Giant stockist is most likely right in saying 400 wh is sufficient...however as a motorhomer who remains off grid for most of the time I would aporeciate a larger capacity battery.
The earlier Bosch motors were at times a little clunky....Generation 4 turn more smoothly very much like Shimano.
Judith managed 10,000km in 2 years offroading...the battery remained in good health...the wear of drive components Chainring, chain and cassettes on an eBike is greater than conventional types...worth changing or at least checking periodically.
I run 2 chains...each one gets a 1000km..a good degreasing and lubricated ready to swap back...works for us...
Enjoy the new bike...we never travel without ours....two good rides would be possible on a 650 wa battery for sure....Judith managed 47km on one of 5 battery segments last week..me...only 35km...flat ride...ECO mode..

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have a couple of Cube Kathmandu 625 Pro's that we picked up a week before lockdown, I have the standard mens frame and Tracy has the low step through frame, they are brilliant both have had the latest software update to give us 85 nm, I have done around 1700 miles on mine, longest ride 50 miles and still had a projected range of another 46 miles, they handle well of road as well, left my son in law behind on his Full suspension Giant Stance E bike on a fairly technical trail, and I have 30 years on him.

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I have a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 2018 model. There are similarities with the Kathmandu with the Reaction being more off road rated. If I was buying today it would probably be the Kathmandu as I end up putting on mudguards and stuff, and am mostly sticking to canal towpaths, forest gravel trails rather than hard core trails.

Current 500 battery is only just enough for me, so I'd definitely want the 625 if available. At a porky 110Kg, even on eco setting, I covered around 40 miles on a mix of tarmac to gravel towpath Friday without much in the way of hills, and had probably 10 mile or so juice left.

I think the latest Bosch version 4 motor is supposed to be a lot better and smoother than the v 3 Active Line on my Cube, and I find that good. Version 4 also looks a lot more standard with a full size chainring where version three had very small ring that somehow rotated around 2.5 times for each full turn of the pedal. Weird and it meant if you were fast enough to be without power, you were turning the motor over yourself.

As with any bike, top tip is the standard saddle probably won't be comfortable for you, so get the cycle shop to help you find one suited to your backside - not a big cost in my case, around £30, but money well spent even with padded shorts.

Hi KF! Thanks very much for your reply! The Cube E-Bikes are certainly getting very positive reviews on here which I'm really pleased about!

Your comparison between the Kathmandu with the Reaction ranges, and the Bosch motors is really useful thanks, as is the info ref your battery usage. 👍 Ref the saddle, I've got a really comfortable "Selle Royal" saddle on the Volt Metro, so assuming it's compatible with the Cube seat post, I will probably swap them over. 😊

Thanks again for your feedback and advice!

crossy

Free Member
Feb 6, 2016
Tameside
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726g Sovereign
Exp
5 yrs
Ps. I’m sure you can get your motor upgraded now on a software upgrade.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I bought one of <Broken link removed> on Saturday and so far really impressed. Great looking Bike (even Mrs T was jealous) and goes really well. When test riding ?I went over a bridge at Cambridge station where a couple of students were crossing and I whizzed past them on the uphill part. Cant tel you about battery capacity but hopeful for 50-60 miles per charge. The seat seems really comfy compared to my Trek one and is padded but will give it a longer test next week to see. Highly recommend Rutland Cycling I travelled from Essex to see them but nothing was too much trouble.

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Whilst not a Kathmandu we've had a Cube Cross Hybrid for about 2.5yrs now and it's been superb ! It's done about 3k km now and nearly all of that (99%) towing a dog trailer and most of the time with the woofers in it so a heavy load of around 60kgs. We only have the 400w battery and the entry level Bosch drive but it more than copes with it all. Mrs Ridgeway uses it daily and i every now and then. Super machines and i'm sure the 625w with Gen4 will be amazing !!!

Cube do a unique to bike stand ie it fits a pre-drilled hole on the rear stay, worth getting as it fits really well and is super solid.
Hi Ridgeway! Thanks very much for your reply, and great to hear about the dog trailer! We don't have a dog *yet* but would love to get one in the future - so that's handy to know thanks! 🐕

Also thanks for your info ref the bike stand. Having had my current ebike blown over by the wind when it was on its stand, I've learnt an expensive lesson, so I'll definitely enquire about the Cube bike stand. 🚴‍♂️

Thanks again for your reply and great to hear that you're both so pleased with your Cube bikes! 😊

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
PS: if we had to buy another e-bike we wouldn't hesitate to get another Cube and Mrs Ridgeway often eyes up the Kathmandu when we spot them when out and about, they look much slicker that our Cross.

<Broken link removed> which is excellent, really sturdy and it has a special fixing onto the Cube frame.

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We have a couple of Cube Kathmandu 625 Pro's that we picked up a week before lockdown, I have the standard mens frame and Tracy has the low step through frame, they are brilliant both have had the latest software update to give us 85 nm, I have done around 1700 miles on mine, longest ride 50 miles and still had a projected range of another 46 miles, they handle well of road as well, left my son in law behind on his Full suspension Giant Stance E bike on a fairly technical trail, and I have 30 years on him.

Hi Steve & Tracy! Thanks very much indeed for your reply and your fantastic review of your two new Cube Kathmandu 625 Pro's!! 🚵‍♀️

That's amazing that you've already done 1,700 mile's on your bike - that's a great recommendation then!! 🏆 Also that you still had "petrol in the tank" after your 50 mile ride 👍

I'm also really interested to hear that you were able to get a software upgrade to upgrade it to the 85 NM - was that something you could do yourself or did you have to have it done at the stockists? Either way, it's great to hear that it's possible to do an after purchase s/w upgrade! 😊

Thanks again for your great reply!! 👍

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
The Giant stockist is most likely right in saying 400 wh is sufficient...however as a motorhomer who remains off grid for most of the time I would aporeciate a larger capacity battery.
The earlier Bosch motors were at times a little clunky....Generation 4 turn more smoothly very much like Shimano.
Judith managed 10,000km in 2 years offroading...the battery remained in good health...the wear of drive components Chainring, chain and cassettes on an eBike is greater than conventional types...worth changing or at least checking periodically.
I run 2 chains...each one gets a 1000km..a good degreasing and lubricated ready to swap back...works for us...
Enjoy the new bike...we never travel without ours....two good rides would be possible on a 650 wa battery for sure....Judith managed 47km on one of 5 battery segments last week..me...only 35km...flat ride...ECO mode..
Hi Jumar! Thanks for your follow-up reply! I'm so impressed with the distances covered by yourself and Judith!! It makes my 25 mile circuits seem really tame but I'm looking forward to being able to head off on longer rides with my new bike!!!

Thanks also for the advice about the servicing. I'm sorry to admit that I've been very poor at servicing the Volt - partly because the nearest Volt dealer is a bit of a drive away from us. It's going on for it's first service in a fortnight - only about three years late!! 😟 I'll be far more diligent with the new bike though and will follow all the servicing guidelines to the letter!! 👍⚡

Thanks again for your reply - happy e-biking!

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Hi March Hare the upgrade was done by the supplying dealer, who offers free upgrades as long as we own the bikes.

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
I bought one of <Broken link removed> on Saturday and so far really impressed. Great looking Bike (even Mrs T was jealous) and goes really well. When test riding ?I went over a bridge at Cambridge station where a couple of students were crossing and I whizzed past them on the uphill part. Cant tel you about battery capacity but hopeful for 50-60 miles per charge. The seat seems really comfy compared to my Trek one and is padded but will give it a longer test next week to see. Highly recommend Rutland Cycling I travelled from Essex to see them but nothing was too much trouble.

Hi MichaelIT!

Thanks very much for your reply! Your new ebike looks great and I'm sure you're delighted with it! Reading all these excellent reports makes me even more excited about getting one!

Have you had Cube bikes before? Out of interest, can I ask what other manufacturers you considered before opting for the Cube ebike? There is so much choice! I've now narrowed down to the Cube (especially after all the positive comments on this thread!) and will be heading down to the local Stockist to get the bike on order. 😊

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Hi MichaelIT!

Thanks very much for your reply! Your new ebike looks great and I'm sure you're delighted with it! Reading all these excellent reports makes me even more excited about getting one!

Have you had Cube bikes before? Out of interest, can I ask what other manufacturers you considered before opting for the Cube ebike? There is so much choice! I've now narrowed down to the Cube (especially after all the positive comments on this thread!) and will be heading down to the local Stockist to get the bike on order. 😊
Mrs T has a Cube ebike (town I think) and she loves it but jealous of mine. I looked at Giant but they do not use Bosch so discounted them, my other choice was Trek as I have a Trek manual bike now and they are lighter and a bit more streamlined but happy with the Cube so far.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
When we changed it Cubes earlier this year the only reason I didn't go for another was because they didn't do a womens full sus ebike in my size this year.

I was more than happy with my old one, but after 10,000 km we felt it was time to change before it gave up on us (me).

crossy

Free Member
Feb 6, 2016
Tameside
Funster No
MH
Burstner 726g Sovereign
Exp
5 yrs
Stroke of luck.
There’s hardly any bikes Out there for sale ! Everyone has gone cycling crazy.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Stroke of luck.
There’s hardly any bikes Out there for sale ! Everyone has gone cycling crazy.
Yep I got an email to say they had stock, luckily it was 1 bike in my XL size they are now out of stock. I guess also factory shut in lock down so trying to get stock levels back up.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The problem for me is that I need an XL apparently. Which is not the norm in mountain bikes.

Apparently any bikes that are available now are early release of the new models, as the new model release is next month.
90D8C4A7-9F39-4680-943C-FC0EDD6E6CFD.jpeg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Where do people sell non E bikes??
Shame you can’t do a partX like cars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun