Ducato/Relay/Boxer glovebox lock cylinder replacement (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
Does anyone know if the lock cylinder on the central glovebox can be removed/replaced, e.g. if the glovebox needs replacing can the lock barrel/cylinder be moved across from the old to the new glovebox so that it can still be locked with the same key?

(I sold our old glovebox and the buyer is asking about having a key made - I'd rather they didn't get a key to our van so I'm hoping I can suggest they swap the lock barrel over - otherwise it's a "no" from me I think!)

I can't seem to find any info online about it and without having it on hand, can't see where/how it might be possible.

There are a few old threads on here about gloveboxes having to be replaced due to broken catches, so wondered if anyone had had the same issue - or whether the lock/catch is a single unit meaning that if the catch is broken then the lock is no use anyway.

OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I did just find that 'new' replacements come without a cylinder, so unless it's a 'fit once and never remove' (not impossible) then I imagine it must be possible.

Have messaged the buyer with that, hopefully they can get it sorted!

64488_3_.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JimmE
May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
To close the loop on this and hopefully help anyone else replacing this in the future - after I pointed the above out to the buyer he confirmed that indeed it’s easy enough to change the cylinder over:

There's a sprung metal circlip which locates the barrel lock. All you have to do is pull it off, pull out the old lock and slide in the new. It's easiest to relcate the clip in the empty plastic shell then push the new lock into the space when it clips in.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back