Ducato Bonnet Paint Peeling - How To Remedy It? (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone :)

On our Ducato bonnet, the paint has started to peel off in a couple of places...one rather large bit right in the middle! :rolleyes: I've read before that this is a known problem, since there's only a single layer of paint on there anyway :unsure: As such, I'm guessing there are a few people out there with the same problem. So, how did you remedy yours? Professional respray? Remove all paint and polish up the metal? Put some decals over the bad bits? Any other ideas? Pics of your before and after would be good :) Thanks :)

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Hi everyone :)

On our Ducato bonnet, the paint has started to peel off in a couple of places...one rather large bit right in the middle! :rolleyes: I've read before that this is a known problem, since there's only a single layer of paint on there anyway :unsure: As such, I'm guessing there are a few people out there with the same problem. So, how did you remedy yours? Professional respray? Remove all paint and polish up the metal? Put some decals over the bad bits? Any other ideas? Pics of your before and after would be good :) Thanks :)
Have you searched and looked at the previous post on this topic on this forum?
Post for the same issue on Fiat Ducato Forum?
Google issue?
Photo of your issue would be useful
Model
Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Deleted User
Have it resprayed, not necessarily the same plain colour, but how about a contrast?

Even better how about a piece of artwork, a classic painting or something like a splattered deer 🦌

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Have it resprayed, not necessarily the same plain colour, but how about a contrast?

Even better how about a piece of artwork, a classic painting or something like a splattered deer 🦌

That's a really good idea...thanks!! I'm not sure I'd go with the splattered deer but it's given me something to think about, that's for sure! :)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I'm thinking of just painting the peeled bits brown and hoping, after a few years, it will have a military look? 👍😄

But seriously, I spoke to a friend, who sprays Rolls and Race cars, and he said the peeling caused by bad adherence between the under and top coats.
He said the only permanent cure is taking it back to the undercoat and then a full respray.
He said he could do it at mates rates for £4000?

I said, I'll leave it to deter anyone from nicking it. 🤔

Last edited:

Deleted User
That's a really good idea...thanks!! I'm not sure I'd go with the splattered deer but it's given me something to think about, that's for sure! :)
Of course, I was quoting extremes, but it also occurs to me that something like "The Last Supper" would probably fit quite neatly.

Deleted User
Great idea!! Thank you so much. Next time we're in the UK with a van (transit type, not the MH) I might take the bonnet with us and get it done :)
There are a couple of places up near us. I'm sure there will be similar around you.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Vinyl wrap?
A finish on a Vinyl wrap is only as good as the surface underneath. Don’t will show through.

I have the same problem, put a bonnet bib on for a while, local paint shop want £300 to take it back to primer and re spray.
I have to take bonnet off and drop it into them.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Unfortunately the well known peeling paint syndrome is not confined to just the bonnet, mine started on the bottom edge of the bonnet so I put some black tape along that edge but other parts of the cab have started peeling now. I would wait until the rest of the cab area starts peeling and then get it all done in one go, that's what I'm doing. But I suppose knowing that the rest will start soon you could just get on with a full cab respray asap.

• Thanks
Reactions: HKF
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My Ducato's a 2007 model and is peeling in numerous places including the roof near the large skylight. This allowed dampness to creep in and I had to replace all the sealant. (All good now👍)

Is this still a problem?
If not, when did the peeling cease? 🤔

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Ours is a 2005 model. Bonnet and door jambs were affected. Ended up having bonnet and cab professionally prepared and resprayed, cost £1,000. Decided best option to prevent further damage, improve appearance for our current use and eventual sale. Did lose some of the decals in the process but some were missing anyway when we bought it.

P1180833.jpeg
P1180829.jpeg
P1190473.jpeg

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Just leave it I tried stickers on mine but they after 5 years failed then with the heavy rain water has got down behind the paint and it's flaked more

Eventually it will be back to bear metal :giggler:

I can't see it from the inside 🤷‍♀️

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Ours is a 2005 model. Bonnet and door jambs were affected. Ended up having bonnet and cab professionally prepared and resprayed, cost £1,000. Decided best option to prevent further damage, improve appearance for our current use and eventual sale. Did lose some of the decals in the process but some were missing anyway when we bought it.

View attachment 866183View attachment 866184View attachment 866185
Who did it for you and how long ago please

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Just leave it I tried stickers on mine but they after 5 years failed then with the heavy rain water has got down behind the paint and it's flaked more

Eventually it will be back to bear metal :giggler:

I can't see it from the inside 🤷‍♀️

On mine, the undercoat is keeping well and I doubt if it will return to bare metal?

From what I've been told, the undercoat was for an oil based paint (so might also contain oil) and the top coat is water based. (and that is supposed to be why they don't adhere well?) 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: HKF
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
On my 2008 Ducato I had the bonnet resprayed in silver, same as the radiator grille, at 5 years old. The van is currently in a bodyshop having the whole cab resprayed, now 16 years old and paint peeling off. No rust though.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Who did it for you and how long ago please

Gary at SmartBodyWork Automotive Refinishing, Medstead, Alton, Hants 01420-56885
Think we left it with him for a week in May 2021. Long way from you unfortunately.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I'm thinking of just painting the peeled bits brown and hoping, after a few years, it will have a military look? 👍😄

But seriously, I spoke to a friend, who sprays Rolls and Race cars, and he said the peeling caused by bad adherence between the under and top coats.
He said the only permanent cure is taking it back to the undercoat and then a full respray.
He said he could do it at mates rates for £4000?

I said, I'll leave it to deter anyone from nicking it. 🤔
I think you need to find better mates!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I think you need to find better mates!
No, the ones I have are gooduns,

If one want quality which includes a bare metal rub down, top class welding if needed, 3 coats of finest paint and 6 coat of lacquer, one has to pay for it.
Anyone else, it's twice that and his customers of 25yrs plus are happy to pay, if I was younger, so would I. 👍

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I had mine resprayed, bonnet and a few A pillar touch ups. £325
2008 Ducato
Sorry, if a company was doing it for that price, I wouldn't expect a very good one.
I could do it myself for half that as I have a commercial compressor, guns etc. but no longer my Coach garage and booth.

So, it's either, have it done 'properly', or not at all!
I choose the latter, the reliable mechanics are more important to me. 👍

Strange, and probably good, how different things are important to different folk? 🤔

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back