Driveaway Awnings - are there any easier disconnect / reconnect options ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
We have a Khyam motorhome classic drive away awning.
Its really easy to erect & pitch (quicker than friends Airframe ! ) BUT the "double C" plastic connector strips (same sort of arrangement as the typical photo below) that appears to be the usual way of connecting the awning to the motorhome rail (the 'groove' in the Fiama wind-out awning ) is quite awkward to thread on & off & back on again etc, when you want to drive off somewhere ! Hardly a quick / easy solution ?

I'm pretty sure there is no alternative method ..... BUT does anyone know of an alternative solution ? :cautious:

Attachments

• awning fixing.png
    awning fixing.png
    109.4 KB · Views: 34

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a Khyam motorhome classic drive away awning.
Its really easy to erect & pitch (quicker than friends Airframe ! ) BUT the "double C" plastic connector strips (same sort of arrangement as the typical photo below) that appears to be the usual way of connecting the awning to the motorhome rail (the 'groove' in the Fiama wind-out awning ) is quite awkward to thread on & off & back on again etc, when you want to drive off somewhere ! Hardly a quick / easy solution ?

I'm pretty sure there is no alternative method ..... BUT does anyone know of an alternative solution ? :cautious:
It depends how you do the 'threading' ... We always put the joining kador strip on the front of the wind-out awning first, then line up the drive-away awning and one of us holds the strip on the awning up next to the kador strip whilst the other threads the 'figure of 8' plastic strip (aka "double C") on to both at the same time, with the one holding the awning strip moving gradually along taking the plastic strip with them, then further strips are slotted on until it's all done. To detach the drive-away awning it's just a simple matter of pulling off the 'figure of 8 strips'.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Too much faff. Get a Quest pop up, it’s far far easier.
Phil
That's what we've done! :giggle: Got one last year when we changed from the Globecar to the Carthago as our existing awning was too low ... as we rarely use awnings anyway, usually only for MH shows, we decided a Quest 4 would be better.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I know its an old thread but if it helps ...
Our vango galli 2 goes on and off in seconds, other half has threaded heavy duty elastic through and we pop it over the fixed fiamma awning casing, simples

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Straps are another good idea and I know that some people attach tennis balls to throw them over the top. We tried straps on our first one but found they rubbed a bit in wind, probably didn't have them tight enough!

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Sites eh.....
Stayed on lovely CMC site, was told to move the Vango guy ropes 1 ft nearer the tent, :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for a quest pop up, quicker and less drafty for sitting in. Sold our driveaway Due to lack of use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back