Dreambox or Dearbox ? (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can anyone tell me the benefits of the Dreambox over a standard digi box that is a quarter of the price ?
The only benefit I'm aware of is being able to view ch 4 and 5 (with a sky viewing card) and it's 12v dc which I don't see as a great benefit.. ?

It seems a lot of money for not a lot of benefit .. :Confused:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
As I understand it...

If you have sky digital at home, and a dreambox in the motorhome, you can set it up so that you can remove your sky card from your sky box at home, put it in the dreambox in the motorhome and you can have the same channel package as you do at home.

This is possible with two sky digiboxes but can be a pain as you have to call sky each time you swap the card to each box as it needs to be 'married' to each box in turn. (The dreambox gets around this by impersonating your home box).

Some people have concerns over the legalities of the dreambox being used in this way.

Of course, whilst away from home the sky box at home is neither user nor ornament as the card is no longer in it!

It is of no use to me as I have a TiVo and it needs the sky box to function to record stuff. The same would be true if you had Sky+

There are other benefits of a dreambox (I think it is also a general satellite receiver and therefore can be used with other satellites in europe) but I think the main reason people buy it is for the sky digibox impersonation described above.

HTH
Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In simple terms Jim, they will when set up correctly decode any and all available satelites, however they come with a vital piece of equipment missing as i found out in France--------A Chain Saw for the bloody trees:whatthe:
Geo

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are other benefits of a dreambox (I think it is also a general satellite receiver and therefore can be used with other satellites in europe) but I think the main reason people buy it is for the sky digibox impersonation described above.

Hi Bryan
I've used my cheap digi box all over Europe, tuned into Astra North and South beams, Hotbird, Eutelsat in Spain and Nile Sat while in Morocco. It's easy to search and tune to any available sat signal.
As a fulltimer without a Sky package a Dreambox would be a total waste of money, I think some get sucked into buying something they really don't need, but each to their own, I can live without ch 4 and 5.:Cool:
No disrespect to anyone who has one..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just into our 4th week without TV, Bliss ::bigsmile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I could'nt even get a signal in Henley on Thames never mind Spain, it was great, sat outside with a beer instead mind you we only have a basic aerial and Jan did moan about missing Cori.
Cheers
Ror

S

Snelly

Deleted User
Jim

The benefit is for Sly subscribers and those who want a box with flexibility. I originally researched for a solution to my own problem. I wanted to watch Sly without having to bring my box from home and I also wanted the box to be small and run off 12v. The dreambox is perfect for that. I can watch ALL my Sly channels I subscribe to using my card from home. Dream are now doing a new version with hard drive built in, which will enable people to record their favorite programs while they are out. Dreambox will also pick up any satellite, anywhere in the world. Its all about flexibility and you get what you pay for.

FTA (free to air) boxes are a perfect cheap solution for those who do not have a Sly subscription, as you say, if you can live without C4 and five.

As for the legality of dreambox... Sly's owner has tried and failed to stop dream multimedia producing their boxes. How can using a receiver and your valid paid for subscriber card be illegal... your not hacking, cloning or copying a card???

Its each to their own isn't it buddy. I never advise people toward dreambox if they don't need one.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i bought a 2nd hand sky box on fleebay including viewing card and used it all over Europe including now.

240 volts yes same as TV but an inverter sorts this issue.

Always gets Channels 4 & 5 once it warms up no probs.

What is SUPERB is the crank up sat dish (Maxview)

Near Bordeaux and working perfectly:winky:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
As for the legality of dreambox... Sly's owner has tried and failed to stop dream multimedia producing their boxes. How can using a receiver and your valid paid for subscriber card be illegal... your not hacking, cloning or copying a card???

In the 80's, in the UK it was legal to stock, sell, buy and own an AM cb radio. To use it, however, was to commit an offence.

It is not always that simple, shane. Dream can manufacture, stock and sell their boxes. You can buy and own them. This does not mean that using a dreambox to view sky broadcasts is legal.

Bryan

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
FTA (free to air) boxes are a perfect cheap solution for those who do not have a Sly subscription, as you say, if you can live without C4 and five.

Hi Shane

This was the point of my post, if you have a full sky package and want to use it in the motorhome .. fine, but for the majority who only want the FTA channels, paying in excess of £100 to view ch 4 and 5, when there are literally hundreds of other channels to choose from it is not GVFM and most budget FTA receivers are also 12v dc or ~240v

Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You done those Instructions yet Shane:Sad:
Geo

M

melplash

Deleted User
It is not always that simple, shane. Dream can manufacture, stock and sell their boxes. You can buy and own them. This does not mean that using a dreambox to view sky broadcasts is legal.

you are totally right, things are never as simple as they seem. Sky would possibly have a valid claim against an end user if they were using the card in a decoder other than the one supplied during the first year. However after that, since they view the decoder and the card as two seperate pieces of merchandise that are not linked. They would be ill advised to pursue an end user for taking the card out of the initial machine and using it in a different one whether a dreambox or a second hand sky box.

If they did the monopolies commission could well be brought in. Whilst it is not proven legal to use the card in the dreambox, neither is it proven illegal. It is a similar issue with the video senders, a grey area.

However Sky are more interested in bigger issues than the odd user and so if I had one I would be quite relaxed about using it.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
However Sky are more interested in bigger issues than the odd user and so if I had one I would be quite relaxed about using it.

If I did not need to leave my sky card at home so that TiVo can record stuff I would probably look into the dreambox.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Everything Shane, Im just watching whatever is on the chanels that you programmed it with,as ive no instructions im afraid or dont know how to look for other sats or channels for fear of loosing what i have, you did say you were writing some, and would e-mail me them, prehaps a lesson or two might be better, are you down for the fishing meet
Geo

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Everything Shane, Im just watching whatever is on the chanels that you programmed it with,as ive no instructions im afraid or dont know how to look for other sats or channels for fear of loosing what i have, you did say you were writing some, and would e-mail me them, prehaps a lesson or two might be better, are you down for the fishing meet
Geo

Geo

I'm prolly stating the bleedin obvious here, but I just Googled "Dreambox Instruction Manual" and found this

Link Removed

I don't know which model you have but there are others :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Told You
You women know it all:Blush:
Geo
:Doh:
except the link dont work:ROFLMAO:

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Told You
You women know it all:Blush:
Geo
:Doh:
except the link dont work:ROFLMAO:

Hi Geo

Are you sorted now, or do you still need instructions for the dreambox you bought?

S

Snelly

Deleted User
Hi Geo

Are you sorted now, or do you still need instructions for the dreambox you bought?

Geo got the instruction book that came with the dreambox, he is waiting on a simplified version I am working on. Thanks for your concern Sharon.

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Geo got the instruction book that came with the dreambox, he is waiting on a simplified version I am working on. Thanks for your concern Sharon.

:ROFLMAO:You are welcome :ROFLMAO: Perhaps Geo will answer my question to him, and let me know how he is getting on with it now.

M

melplash

Deleted User
Geo is so 'lucky' to have all you ladies looking after him :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When you have finished writing the simplified instructions Snelly will you be supplying them free or charging to cover your time.

I wonder how many suppliers take time to rewrite instructions for the things they supply so us simpleton's lives are easier, well done matey :Smile::Smile:

L

Loathecliff

Deleted User
Want to learn how to use a Dreambox?

Or want to know how to preserve your sanity?

Same link:-

Link Removed

S

Snelly

Deleted User
Geo is so 'lucky' to have all you ladies looking after him :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

When you have finished writing the simplified instructions Snelly will you be supplying them free or charging to cover your time.

I wonder how many suppliers take time to rewrite instructions for the things they supply so us simpleton's lives are easier, well done matey :Smile::Smile:

They'll be free.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi all sorry Sharon late on duty today, work got i the way
No instructions in the box Shane just that xtra card you supplied, on screen help only usefull if you know the termanoligy used, and thats all alian to me ,Lindas link didnt work at the time, I can have a look at the link above from loathcliff, thanks for that, if your at the Fisssssssssshing meet you can run me thro the basics
Geo

S

Snelly

Deleted User
For everyones info, here is a link to the official instruction book online.

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back