Double DIN stereo upgrade - Got Android Auto for £200 (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
For navigation, I have been using Google Maps with my Android phone on a mount on top of the dash. No, Google Maps doesn't care about width of height restrictions, but I'm in a 5.4m Ducato van, so it's rarely an issue. What Google Maps is excellent for is how up to date the maps are, the routing, and the excellent real time traffic info.

Quite a few friends and family have cars with Android Auto. I like it a lot, but I always thought my large'ish phone in a mount on the dash did a similar job. Then when I was on holiday a couple of months ago, the hire car had Android Auto. Just plug in the phone and it instantly worked, no faffing to unlock the phone and open the mapping app, then switch to nav mode. And the larger and much more stable screen made is so much easier to use... But new head units with Android Auto are really expensive, aren't they???

Well Halfords keeps putting them on sale. Over the Black Friday period, the new Sony XAV-AX3005 which retails at about £450 was £300 (which I nearly bought, but missed). Then the other day its predecessor, the XAV-AX100 briefly came up for £200. It's an early Android Auto head unit and it's pretty basic (no DAB and 'mechless' so no CD player) but it's got good reviews, so I thought I'd give it a go.

First thing was to rip out the Kenwood single DIN stereo and the storage pocket, which took about 5 minutes:
20190102_111214.jpg

The big connector block is a standard ISO car stereo connector, which is good. I don't know what the other connector block (with only 2 wires) is, but the Kenwood didn't need it, so I've ignored it. The biggest issue here are the dividing supports that mean you can't put a double DIN unit straight in. However, they are only plastic and took about 10 minutes to hacksaw off and trim back.

After that it's mostly easy. An aftermarket facia adaptor clips into the hole to cover up the nasty edges and then the double DIN sleeve/cage slides in. There's next to nothing for it to bite into to stabilise it and I wanted the stereo to be pretty solid. The Sony unit is a large screen at the front, but it's pretty much a single DIN behind with the lower half being empty. It meant I could put a self-tapping screw through the cage and into the soft plastic behind (I checked, there was nothing important behind!).

After than the head unit plugs in, slides in and clicks home:
20190102_144328.jpg

All that is the same as any other stereo change. The additional bit was the phone connector. On the back of the stereo is a USB cable that has to be connected to the phone. I bought an extension cable from Amazon that ended in a USB connector in a 12v cigarette lighter socket. As I've never used them, now both of my 12v sockets have been replaced:
20190102_144337.jpg

Note: For Apple users, the equivalent is similar and is called Apple CarPlay. The above stereos are also CarPlay compatible. However, the XAV1000 is only CarPlay and not Android Auto for some reason.

I gave it a quick run go last night and I was pretty impressed. It takes about 10 seconds for the stereo to cold start, but I can live with that. There's a software update that makes it a bit quicker that I need to install (via USB stick).

And while I was there, I upgraded my speakers. The 6.5" woofer door speakers and the tiny tweeter speakers in the A pillar have been replaced with some £50 JBL components. The original Fiat speakers were terrible and the paper cone in one of the woofers was starting to rip. The new setup sounds so much less muddy and crisper (I've previously added closed cell insulation inside the doors to keep the heat in, but it also acts as sound deadening).

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Can you run other android apps on this unit or is it only for Android Auto apps?

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Can you run other android apps on this unit or is it only for Android Auto apps?
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have both been trying to get themselves into new cars... and they've largely succeeded. Most manufacturers now have CarPlay and/or Android Auto options in at least some of their cars. However, to manage this, both Apple and Google had to put lots of restrictions on their interfaces for safety reasons. Very few types of apps are being allowed on either platform and the interface you see on the car's screen is very simplified with large text, large buttons and often many features missing or only work with voice.

Generally the app types are SatNav (e.g. Google Maps, Waze), Audio (Spotify, Audible, Amazon Music, etc) and Messaging (text, WhatsApp, Facebook messenger). For all of these, you'll have favourites and canned responses (e.g. "I'm driving, I'll call back later"), but there's no keyboard. You can voice dictate for some stuff. Some apps will bring up a clunky keyboard, but only if you've got the handbrake on! The app specifically has to support Auto/CarPlay to appear on the screen.

However, there is a workaround... most headunits can also do screen mirroring so you can use any app, but then I don't think the touchscreen works, so you still need the phone...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Android auto is very limited. You can't even run the TomTom app on it.
Google are being selective about who can develop apps for their platform. Some people are blaming Google as all it's doing is conveniently pushing more and more people to Google Maps and Waze (which is also owned by Google) and away from TomTom, Co-Pilot, etc. Others are saying the car manufacturers don't want a free-for-all on the app front and their deals with Google means they can prevent random apps (which may be distracting) from being placed on their cars' screens. Until Auto and CarPlay are ubiquitous, Google and Apple don't want to rock the boat on that front.

I would like more apps, but I'm not convinced that third parties will consistently make driver friendly reliable interfaces. I previously been a user of both Co-Pilot and I was a big fan of TomTom from the time it was an app on PDAs, but I think their time has passed. Google and Apple can create far more reliable maps and much better traffic data just from the sheer volume of their users.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Dragging up and old thread....

What fascia adaptor did you use.

I have seen plenty for the 2007> Ducato, some seen just the plastic front panel for around £15 up to the Connects2 version that appears to come with a cage as well for £35.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

I have seen plenty for the 2007> Ducato, some seen just the plastic front panel for around £15 up to the Connects2 version that appears to come with a cage as well for £35.
I bought this from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B002DZOSPS
[link not working??? It was called "2-DIN RB Citroen / Fiat / Peugeot schwarz" ]

I think I paid about £25 for it.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Just done much the same as Guigsy with my 2009 Cheyenne, which had the original AT AVAT090 single-DIN media centre and the tiny reversing camera screen. It also had the problem that above about 1/3 volume, it started a series of annoying clicks which got progressively worse as the volume increased. I don't have need for DAB as there's next to none in France and I'm happy with my Nozatec GPS. Needed a disc player for CD and DVD for the drop-down 11" TV which is also served by the original DVB-T TV receiver in the charger locker.

A facia plate for £8.99 is available here if you read on, Spawn_e_git

I settled on the Sony XAV-W651BT from Car Audio Direct. I also bought the facia kit for a Ducato 2006> which turned out to be a mistake, as the Sony, like most branded units, came with a cage which fitted the Ducato. I could have bought just the facia surround and saved myself £25!

Anyway, fitting was much the same as in the OP. I had to cut the plastic lugs away and also a 3" wide tongue on the plastic moulding at the rear of the opening to accommodate the plug array, the unit being double-DIN sized cube.

20190826_145606 (1024x618).jpg

As you can see, the facia plate partially covers the Autotrail motif but I can live with that.

Very pleased so far but I won't be out on the road until Wednesday. Radio reception already seems better, even with the Ducato mirror-mounted aerial. Bluetooth to my Android phone is fine and I can play BBC Sounds through the system on the road assuming my mobile data keeps up! Sound is infinitely better and the reversing camera image can now be seen at last. You can adjust the sighting bars on the screen to give you an exact distance to obstacles behind the MH. Not sure I'll need the CD now as I have my music collection on a USB key which plugs into the front of the Sony.

There is also a video output which works on a small 7" monitor but directly connecting it to the drop-down screen results in bars across the screen. I'm wondering if the old 11" monitor is incompatible with the video signal? Couldn't get it to work through the DVB-T unit and I suspect I'm going to need to upgrade to a DVB-T2 unit to get any reception here. I use satellite in the main anyway so it's not too much of a problem.

Whilst I was about it, I've also finally added a couple of charging sockets to the front end, to supplement the inadequate single charge point in the bedroom, when not running. Very difficult to decide where to put it, access and neatness being the priority, without resorting to extreme butchery. In the end I settled for the plastic trim panel in the corner of the cab behind the driver's seat, from where I was able to feed wires through to the EC325 charger in the locker above.

Next bit of head-scratching was which circuit to feed it from (can't connect direct to the battery with an EC325) and finally settled for the 15A circuit which feeds the bedroom lighting. Not sure why they use a 15A feed as all lighting is LED with a max 1.4A draw.

Ideally, I hope this circuit can cope with charging my 19V laptop unless anyone can suggest otherwise? The 10A circuit to the rear charge point is max 120W and blew the fuse when I tried it a while back...

20190826_145656 (761x1024).jpg

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Thanks for the info Pete. Amazon also sell the same fascia you has for a tenner with delivery so I think I'll order the connects2 unit as well and send back what I don't need.

I think I am going to go for this unit:

Amazon product ASIN B07BKRGZS1
It seems to tick the boxes as best as possible and I'll buy the DAB add-on as I have a roof mounted DAB aerial but the cheaper Velex unit I have is pants, especially when moving.

My Motorhome has the factory fitted camera display on the right of the dash and it does not get in the way and works OK, so I'll leave that as it is.

Just need better audio and Satnav after tomtom took me on some serious stupid routes to save 20 seconds,,......

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Looks like a pretty comprehensive spec on that unit. A word of warning, I did read somewhere a while back that a 7" monitor might not fit the Ducato opening, which is why I played safe and went for the 6.2". Fingers crossed for you! ?

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Double DIN is a standard size. Unless it's one of those units where the screen sits in front of the dash, it'll fit.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
You would have thought so but Googling reveals 'universal' Double DIN cages in 100, 103, 110 and 115mm sizes, which confused me:unsure:

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's supposed to be 100.3mm:

There are larger ones, but they are normally special builds for specific cars. E.g. Golfs are commonly mucked around with, so there's a big enough market for head units with specific fit fascias of the Golf that are bigger than Double DIN (although I think the internal cage is still standard?).

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
The unit I am looking at is 100mm high and 178mm wide so it is the smaller of the "options".

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My Sony XAV-AX100 is apparently 178×100 and fits fine.

I used the fascia from the pack I mentioned above, but I think I used the cage that came with the radio. All fitted fine.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Cheers Guigsy.

I don't think the unit I am looking to order comes with a cage so I'll just buy both and send one of them back.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have a Pioneer with CarPlay and I am most impressed. There are at least 3 maps that work with it and my music apps work at the same time. Saves having a separate navigator cluttering up the dash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back