Double Din Radio With Apple/Android Play, any Funsters got one? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We need to fill in the blank hole in our new MH with a Radio Double Din Type as it didnt come with one.
I have looked at Pioneer, Alpine, & Kenwood, Head units, some with CD player, and some with Apple Car Play. Most of these are priced around the 400 to 500 although some cost much more.

Ideally, we would like to have a decent Radio/Cd Playing head unit that we can plug our Smart Phone into and use that as a GPS/Sat Nav unit rather, than have a built in sat nav as some do. But willing to listen to all that have built in Sat Navs, as long as they have free lifetime Map Updates.

We also want to connect our 21 inch Avtex TV to the head unit If Possible, I have read that some have done this, but very confused as to how to achieve this as the TV only has a stereo head phone 3.5 mm output which I am told cannot be connected to radio head units as " only accept RCA Connectors" not 3.5MM jack plugs?
So need advice please on what head unit suits you, and if have connected you Avtex TV through your head units how has this been done.
Many Thanks for any help on this.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the head unit if you don't want satnav any of the decent branded ones will be OK, you should be able to get something decent for under £300.
Unlikely to get free map up dates on a head unit, for our Clarion they are £75 but often get 20% off offers.

I use the headphone output on my TV, you can buy phono to mini jack leads or in my case I used phono to phono leads and a phono to mini r/a mini jack adaptor as it made a neater connection behind the TV.

Some examples

Phono to phono
Adaptor

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Many Thanks Lenny HB, Your a Star!!! Thanks for taking the time to help us.
So it was Duff Gen I was given about not being able to play The Avtex through the head unit.
With the Phono adaptors you have listed, it should just be a plug in job at the back Aux input of the head unit.
Yes, I did guess that there was no such thing somehow as "free" lifetime maps with head units, how often do you need to update the EU maps I wonder? Someone did try and sway me into buying by saying that maps should only need updating every 3 years or so, "by which time you would be selling the van anyway" errr, I dont think so, not at today's prices anyhow.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Pioneer head unit that is Bluetooth enabled which allows us to play whatever we want from an enabled device. The TV we have is a Cello Traveler II which is Bluetooth enabled. Works quite well but if you fast forward a recording you can get lipsynch issues so we watch the ads as well and the problem is solved!

Now where is the on switch for the TV! (We don't us it that much too be fair!)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Agree about not having built in sat nav.

We don't and find out so much better to have it on our mobile phones and tablet... That way we are not chained to the MH head unit system and we can use it also when on the bicycles or walking and on the motorbike, plus in the car too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes, I did guess that there was no such thing somehow as "free" lifetime maps with head units, how often do you need to update the EU maps I wonder? Someone did try and sway me into buying by saying that maps should only need updating every 3 years or so, "by which time you would be selling the van anyway" errr, I dont think so, not at today's prices anyhow.
I bought our Clarion in 2014 for the last van, took it out and fitted a 100 quid ebay unit before I traded the van. Looking at upgrading the maps next year when a 20% off comes up.

The maps are always out of date anyway, they can never keep up with the rate the French & Spainish build new roads.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back