Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Will be changing my radio on 2007 Fiat Ducato from single to double din. Any one done this if so any pictures. Interested to know how to support the din cage at the rear how did you do it, pictures would be good.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Will be changing my radio on 2007 Fiat Ducato from single to double din. Any one done this if so any pictures. Interested to know how to support the din cage at the rear how did you do it, pictures would be good.
You might find the option of CarPlay useful if you install a compatible radio.(the facility to mirror the apps from an iPhone including google maps)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You have to hacksaw/Dremel out the single DIN supports. Be brave. Takes 2 mins.

As you've spotted, you aren't left with a lot for the radio to sit on and it's pretty lose. I put 4 short woodscrews through the cage/sleeve into the plastic. You can get your fingers behind quite a lot of it to check there's nothing behind it.

I went for a Sony XAV because it had Android Auto. It's been fantastic for traveling around Europe and the UK.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
I wussed out and just got an android single din with a flip out screen... :D:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As @EssexBoy said but I still had to remove some plastic at the back so the unit would push right in.
The unit I got was double DIN, so no depth required for screen folding shenanigans. It was also mechless. It was actually pretty tiny behind the screen, so I didn't have any depth issues.

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Thinking about replacing the very basic standard CD/radio in my 2010 Ducato X250. Can anyone tell me if the connectors are ISO standard ones or will I need to get an adaptor?

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
My radio came with an ISO fly lead so I guess each make of radio will have its own lead. The X250 has an ISO socket in the radio bay.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
If you buy a second hand radio and it doesn't come with a lead this is what they look like, small end to radio large end is the ISO bit.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Just recently changed ours to a double din..
No pics but it ws only a matter of pulling out the top tray and cutting the crossbar out.. About 10 minutes with a tea break !

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Just a word of warning. All iso wiring harnesses are not made equal.
As well as if you want to bypass the automatic switch off it's not just a case of plug and play.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
another issue might be if you have a rear camera mounted, re the connections required. they are not all standard unfortunately

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
As well as if you want to bypass the automatic switch off it's not just a case of plug and play.
In my case with an Apache 634U all I wanted was it to run the same as a car radio as nothing used on the media side in the cab, the rear view camera was just fed from the ignition live so just spliced it on to the feed.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK.. this is going to be put in the 'over head' at the end of the bed

This is calculated on a centre frequency of 205 megs

upload_2019-5-5_12-52-26.png

Final tuning is done by adjusting the place the coax is attached and I will do it using dip meter.
I will be making the final one from 8mm ally rod ( still awaiting delivery )
At the centre frequency it SHOULD have about 5dB gain over a 1/4 wave which will tail off as you go up and down from 205 megs..
Having said that it will never be equal to or lower than a standard end fed antenna

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-5_12-34-48.png
    upload_2019-5-5_12-34-48.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 12
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Sorry, slight side question that might be relevant...

When I bought my 2007 Ducato a couple of years ago, the radio that was fitted was a very poor and basic Blauplukt, I assume it was the original unit? The wiring behind all appeared to be ISO though, so it was a straight swap.

I replaced it with a cheap Kenwood so I could get Bluetooth. I then swapped it again a few months ago for a double DIN Sony AX100 to get Android Auto. This was also pretty easy and is working really well.

The only issue I've got is that both the Kenwood and Sony failed to keep time. I also can't power them up with the ignition off. I checked the harness and the red (ignition power) and yellow (always on) wires both appeared to get 12v at appropriate times. Any idea what's going on?

[I am aware that radios use a lot of amps, so pumping out tunes with the engine off for more than half an hour is a sure way to end up with a flat cab battery.]

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Ah, so the auto-off is controlled by the van, not the radio then?
On my previous van (Mazda Bongo) I just swapped the radio feed to the leisure battery. That doesn't look so simple a job on a Ducato :think:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you get the right wiring harness adaptor you can supply the radio with the permanent 12v feed it needs to remember the settings. When I did mine it was a case of swapping over a couple of the feed wires.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If you get the right wiring harness adaptor you can supply the radio with the permanent 12v feed it needs to remember the settings. When I did mine it was a case of swapping over a couple of the feed wires.
I've got that. I confirmed that the yellow wire from the harness stayed on with the keys out and the red wire was only on when the key was in the ignition position. I'm guessing that the yellow feed gets switched off by the van after a few minutes, and that's why the clock goes?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I think u will find that red is ign. switched live and stays on for a period after ign switch off certainly is on x250 Van's.
Yellow is perm live. This keeps the radio settings and station memory. But is always drawing a small amount of battery power. This should also keep the radio clock ticking over.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think u will find that red is ign. switched live and stays on for a period after ign switch off certainly is on x250 Van's.
Yellow is perm live. This keeps the radio settings and station memory. But is always drawing a small amount of battery power. This should also keep the radio clock ticking over.
My x250, red is only on when the key is rotated. It dies the moment the key is flicked back. When I measured it, yellow stays live when the key is out, but I'm guessing that maybe it gets cut after some period of time as both the radios I've tried would forget the time overnight?

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
My x250, red is only on when the key is rotated. It dies the moment the key is flicked back. When I measured it, yellow stays live when the key is out, but I'm guessing that maybe it gets cut after some period of time as both the radios I've tried would forget the time overnight?
Mine dies like yours when the ignition is turned off I thought the yellow stayed live all the time but not sure as the radio is set to auto sync the time with the DAB signal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back