Double check the web site address - Garmin & TomTom scam sites (1 Viewer)

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
I have been speaking with Garmin support today due to an ongoing issue with updating my Camper 770 and I was mentioning that I was experiencing a number of issues with links within a large number of their support documents. The guy I was speaking to was fairly insistent that I must be on a spoof site as they have spoken to a large number of people about being charged for map updates or charged for support. Once we had determined that there was actually an issue with the EN-GB Garmin site following an update a short while ago, and that I was definitely on the true Garmin site we had a discussion about the scam sites that are popping up. Some are very very good and often appear as the first result in various search engines when you search for specific errors. Of the 2 he pointed out to me, one had Garmin spelt Garmine, the other had support spelt suppport, the sites look like the real thing and they apparently will sort many issues out, but will charge you for the privilege. However they will try to get you to download a remote control app so they can get onto your PC/Laptop, Garmin will never do this and I am pretty sure neither will TomTom. The one that uses the Garmine address also have a TomTom fake support site, not sure what that address is.
If you need support or need to download updates make sure that you have linked to the true company website https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/ or https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/ and go to their support pages/downloads from within their sites.
This may have already been posted but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
For map, software and firmware updates for your sat nav you should use Garmin Express on a computer or Mac. They don't have a Linux option.

OP
OP
SteveJ

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Gellyneck , I have been trying to use Express, there is an issue with certain devices following a website update. However I thought it prudent to post about these spoof sites as if you search for specific Express errors one of the 1st links that comes up is one of these fake sites. Garmin have seen a huge increase in the number of fake sites that have appeared over the past 6 months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi Gellyneck , I have been trying to use Express, there is an issue with certain devices following a website update. However I thought it prudent to post about these spoof sites as if you search for specific Express errors one of the 1st links that comes up is one of these fake sites. Garmin have seen a huge increase in the number of fake sites that have appeared over the past 6 months.
I was unaware of that as I had no issues updating my older 760 Camper a few weeks back.
Very useful for others you've highlighted the Express issue.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back