Doors being tried in the night - Calais (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
I hope the Funster on the Calais Aire who we are parked near (Approach SE 740) were not disturbed by the group of immigrants trying door handles just after 23.00 last night.

Our 5m LED awning light was not to their liking and they disappeared into the night. Will make a good inspection of the garage and underside later.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We were at Ouistreham last weekend and saw no 'Illegals' activity at all.
We were there for more than just arrival rather than just 'Straight to the Port and the Port authorities were more relaxed than 'Normal' They were only checking panel vans (not converted) and left us and the couple in the Bailey behind us unchecked.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
What aire were you on? The newish one near the beach ?

Are you referring to the Sangatte Aire or the one on Rue d’Asfeld?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

Ian

Think the OP is referring to the latter one, the new aire adjacent to Camping Le Grand Gravlot.

There have been previous recent reports of migrant activity at this aire. We stayed at Sangatte aire 6 weeks ago and didn't experience any problems. Also, more convenient for the tunnel.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Think the OP is referring to the latter one, the new aire adjacent to Camping Le Grand Gravlot.

There have been previous recent reports of migrant activity at this aire. We stayed at Sangatte aire 6 weeks ago and didn't experience any problems. Also, more convenient for the tunnel.

My question was to Speve (“the newish one near the beach”) not the OP.

Ian

Janette and Graham

Free Member
Jul 8, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autostratus RG
Exp
Since 2016
At Cite Europe Camper parking last night 6/2/20 got woken at midnight by two security guards banging on the door, telling us and another van to move off the car park as a gang of migrants lingering around the site would possibly try to break into our van, we saw the group and felt threatened, so went to eurotunnel twelve hours earlier than planned. Euro staff really helpful put us on the next train at 1.20am and only paid another 7€ for changing the ticket.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
At Cite Europe Camper parking last night 6/2/20 got woken at midnight by two security guards banging on the door, telling us and another van to move off the car park as a gang of migrants lingering around the site would possibly try to break into our van, we saw the group and felt threatened, so went to eurotunnel twelve hours earlier than planned. Euro staff really helpful put us on the next train at 1.20am and only paid another 7€ for changing the ticket.

Is it now open for overnighting again or were you unaware that they no longer allow overnighting?

Ian

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

Welcome to MHFun....bit late, I know, since you registered in July 2017. Lots of posts on here recently about NOT parking at Cite Europe. There is a small notice at the entrance about no overnight parking.

Janette and Graham

Free Member
Jul 8, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autostratus RG
Exp
Since 2016
We had stayed there two years ago with no problem. When we arrived, three other vans had set up so thought it was ok. The security guards told us to go on to the Lidl car park but we didn’t fancy it too noisy and didn’t look safe.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

Ian
Not Sangatte is that free from itinerant travellers now? as apparently there were a lot there a few weeks back?
Rue d’Asfeld if that’s the one near Bleureot plage yes.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Not Sangatte is that free from itinerant travellers now? as apparently there were a lot there a few weeks back?
Rue d’Asfeld if that’s the one near Bleureot plage yes.

It is.

Ian

OP
OP
The Wyman's
Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
And a post script about migrant activity during the day at Citi of Europe. We went shopping after discussing the nights events with the Funster who did not hear a thing and was sleeping soundly. We know that someone tried one of our doors as they caused the step to extend. When we returned after shopping we saw a young man detach from a group of about five migrants near the shop and work round the car park trying door handles of vans and Motorhomes parked up, all British. We watched him leave and warned one of the drivers of a works van. This confirms a higher level of migrant activity in Calais, certainly higher than when we last passed through six months ago. They are not trying to hide what they do and presumably are successful from time to time with an unlocked door. So I think usual drill applies, assume that if you leave any door unlocked in Calais, even if you are in the vehicle, you risk an unwelcome visitor. Double check for unwelcome guests before you check in. Stay safe!

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
We have for years stayed on the marina car park and enjoyed a meal and bottle of wine in Le Detroit restaurant but last time we stayed there we had migrants trying to break in at 1.30 am.We didn’t sleep the rest of the night so it’s Gravelines for us now.Stayed two nights last year and had cracking meal in the new restaurant next to Aire!,(not cheap) but finished the holiday off nicely?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Personally, I wouldn’t overnight near any port again. We stayed in Dieppe at the aire outside the ferry terminal. Whilst I filled up with water at the bourne, I had two guys just stand and stare at me the whole time I was filling up. Same two were then part of a group trying door handles and checking bikes on all of the parked vans at midnight. We ended up moving on.
I worry more about the possible damage that they’d do to my van rather than my personal safety - although it would put my wife off motorhoming for good if one got inside the van.
There’s plenty of choice and reference manuals such as all the aires and camper contact for searching for an alternative if things don’t seem right when you arrive. If it doesn’t look/seem right, move on.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have for years stayed on the marina car park and enjoyed a meal and bottle of wine in Le Detroit restaurant but last time we stayed there we had migrants trying to break in at 1.30 am.We didn’t sleep the rest of the night so it’s Gravelines for us now.Stayed two nights last year and had cracking meal in the new restaurant next to Aire!,(not cheap) but finished the holiday off nicely?
Best advice is not to stay at Gravelines now, apparently there have been recent migrant incidents there also.
Get off the ferry/chunnel and its pedal to the metal, get as far away from all ports as possible, coming home, stay on an aire but at least 25K from the ports and you should be safer.
I used to like shopping at Auchan supermarket Calais, was even considering City de Europe, but not know, saving a few quid on booze is not worth the risk or the agg.
LES

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
?????

The OP was posted today.

What was over a month ago?

Ian

The date in the post. See here

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I am sorry....but...

With all of the recent posts, films of people in MHs, stories of Police activity.

WHY IS ANYONE ON THIS FORUM STAYING ANYWHERE NEAR CALAIS?
I really don’t understand it. Why take the risk for a bit of shopping? We never stay anywhere within an hour’s drive of the tunnel, usually more. If you have to get an early train just get up earlier!

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Obviously nothings changed in over a month then if you’ve seen it posted over a month ago and then again yesterday.
More reason to be vigilant if staying there or avoid it if concerned

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Obviously nothings changed in over a month then if you’ve seen it posted over a month ago and then again yesterday.
More reason to be vigilant if staying there or avoid it if concerned
Avoid if concerned ! Jesus when will you people learn ? avoid the damn place

Deleted User
Approx 30 min radius of Calais

533D4AFB-2E56-43FF-A36E-37DE5280DCCC.png

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
?????

The OP was posted today.

What was over a month ago?

Ian

The date in the post. See here

Doh! :doh:

However, my question remains valid as gus-lopez points out below its been closed (and widely discussed on here) for some time now (I think before December in any case).

I thought that got stopped in December 2019?

Ian

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I haven't felt safe staying near Calais for years, I always get an early train to France and put 100 miles in before stopping. On the way home I book a site, a few miles away from Calais, for 2 or 3 nights to relax after the drive and get the dog wormed by a local vet plus a lunch or 2 in the old town of Boulogne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back