Dometic Awning Light and Rain Gutter (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Has anyone got and/or installed one of these on their van ? It seems expensive but I like the fact that it also keeps rain from dripping into the open sliding door. Also, the installation does not need drilling into the outer surface (holes are on the lower surface of the doorway).

Any experience of this in MHF land ?
Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/FIAT-DUCAT...ck-RT-100/22010451203?iid=182363442916&chn=ps

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If your awning is fitted correctly you will not get water into the door. The F65S awning which is the one you should have has a foam insert that sits under the awning and stops the water coming underneath.
I have fitted the smaller strip awning light, only problem is drilling through the van to get the cable inside.

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Thanks @Mikeco - I need to have a look next time to see exactly where the water was coming from. I do have the foam insert but it may be that the rain was coming from the same side as the door and not draining down from the roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Has anyone got and/or installed one of these on their van ?

Yup, I have that exact light on my van (y)

It came as a factory fitted item (as in, I didn't request it).

The light is super bright at night time, brilliant for when returning from those late night / early morning dog walks and it's still dark.

However...

Water did still drip through....

So I applied a tiny bead of silicon sealant to the top of it (out of sight), problem solved - bone dry rain gutter now :D2

I wouldn't be without it now, I love it.

Shout if you want me to take some pictures?

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yup, I have that exact light on my van (y)

It came as a factory fitted item (as in, I didn't request it).

The light is super bright at night time, brilliant for when returning from those late night / early morning dog walks and it's still dark.

However...

Water did still drip through....

So I applied a tiny bead of silicon sealant to the top of it (out of sight), problem solved - bone dry rain gutter now :D2

I wouldn't be without it now, I love it.

Shout if you want me to take some pictures?

Thanks @RogerThat - that is exactly what I want it for. Early morning and evening forays with the doggie. At this time of year, mid afternoon forays are also dark.
Does it extend the full length of the door? Where is your on/off switch ?
Photos would be great when you get a chance.
By the way, love your profile pic. Is he/she a husky?

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi @CamperSue

love your profile pic. Is he/she a husky?

My girl is a five year old Alaskan Malamute :love:

Does it extend the full length of the door?

It extends about an inch, maybe an inch and a half beyond the door opening at each end:

IMG_1037.PNG

Where is your on/off switch ?

I have two switches for mine, one is on the Sargent EC480 control panel, bottom row, first switch on the left:

IMG_1040.jpg

The other switch sounds like it might be in the same place as @bobandjanie as in this pic the top push-button switch is for the step and the awning light is controlled by the left hand side split-rocker switch:

IMG_1039.PNG

It's hard to take a photo at night on a mobile phone, but "Here's one I made earlier..."

IMG_3957.JPG

The light is angled downwards at sort of 45 degrees (ish) which prevents blinding your opposite neighbours and also lights the area immediately below the door, which is just what we need (again, re dog walks).

I mentioned adding a bead of sealant to the top. This was because on our first shakedown of the van we had the awning out on a summer time weekend and it rained, I was sitting on the floor of the van, in the doorway, with the door fully opening just watching the rain with a cup of tea in hand when water started to drip on me!

I don't have the foam behind the awning (didn't even know it existed until this thread!) so the water was running off the roof and behind the awning. This light now doubles as a rain gutter and diverts the rain away from the (open) door so I can watch the world go by without getting wet :)

It's raining here this morning but I'll try and nip out later to snap a pic of where the wire goes from the light in to the van.

Shout if you need any more info!

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Wow @RogerThat , great info !
Knowing where the cable feeds would be great but there's no rush.

I'm not sure if the foam needs to be specifically purchased from Fiamma or Thule. The dealer added ours when they installed our awning. I'll send you a pic. I need to check if mine is leaking, as per Mikeco.

Your van looks very nice... even if it's not a Globecar
:xwink:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you look at the design of the roof there is very little area draining in to the door i wasted money on a fiamma dripstop and i made little difference its juat the size of the door and shape of the van that allows rain to enter we just open the awning a bit. this was on our previous van

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I took a couple more photos this morning @CamperSue

First one is from above, showing the silicone sealant I added.

Second and third are far left and right, and close up of the LEDs inside and you can see one of the small self tappers underneath that you referred to earlier. I was sure I could see the wire entry point before but I looked everywhere just now and couldn't spot it sorry (n)

IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi @bobandjanie
Thanks. Do you like it?
Sue

Hi Sue, yes it gives off a good light, the light came with double sided tape so just a hole for the cable, the foam we got off eBay can't remember the size but look on the omistor site, We got too much and the remainder is somewhere in Norwich at our daughters, Janie has her next flight booked for March and could sort it out and measure it.
The awning I never liked at first, being use to a fiamma f65s on the last van, but I have now got the hang of the winder handle and decided the omistor is better made. :xgrin:
:xThumb: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back