Dogs from Ireland

Likes collected
Funster No
We have recently adopted a dog from a rescue centre in Wales, quite a number of their animals come from S.Ireland & ours has a rabies certificate from an Irish vet, we were told by the centre that this would be a passport but now that doesn’t seem to be right, has anybody experience of this?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
By Passport, are you wanting to travel outside UK with your new friend? If so, the answer is no, you will need an Animal Health Certificate to go virtually anywhere with your pooch, which lasts for 4 months, at a cost varying from £85 to £200.

Or you could have a trip to N.I., wait 24 hours then cross into the Republic and find a vet who will issue you with a EU Pet Passport - your rabies certificate may well be accepted as proof of vaccination, but if not it's no big deal, the vet can administer another without any harm. Helps if you can provide an Irish address. Technically of course this is not within the regulations, you should have an AHC to enter Ireland, but there currently aren't any checks.........................
Ours cost around £60, including a new rabies jab. Make sure you get a three-year vaccination then all you need do is have it renewed by an EU vet - UK vets not allowed to make entries into EU PPs.
Mindless bureaucracy!

OP
OP
J
Likes collected
Funster No
By Passport, are you wanting to travel outside UK with your new friend? If so, the answer is no, you will need an Animal Health Certificate to go virtually anywhere with your pooch, which lasts for 4 months, at a cost varying from £85 to £200.

Or you could have a trip to N.I., wait 24 hours then cross into the Republic and find a vet who will issue you with a EU Pet Passport - your rabies certificate may well be accepted as proof of vaccination, but if not it's no big deal, the vet can administer another without any harm. Helps if you can provide an Irish address. Technically of course this is not within the regulations, you should have an AHC to enter Ireland, but there currently aren't any checks.........................
Ours cost around £60, including a new rabies jab. Make sure you get a three-year vaccination then all you need do is have it renewed by an EU vet - UK vets not allowed to make entries into EU PPs.
Mindless bureaucracy!
Thank you very much

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We have recently adopted a dog from a rescue centre in Wales, quite a number of their animals come from S.Ireland & ours has a rabies certificate from an Irish vet, we were told by the centre that this would be a passport but now that doesn’t seem to be right, has anybody experience of this?
Not with passports but I have had not a great experience with Many Tears - which I presume is the rescue centre involved.

A lovely little ex-breeding bitch that I adopted from there had an incurable, untreatable and very transmittable ear infection which they hadn’t mentioned. On the advice of my vet, I returned her (with no refund of the fee or the £400 of vets bills) and then found her back on their website the next day with still no mention of the infection.

Good luck with yours 😀

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not with passports but I have had not a great experience with Many Tears - which I presume is the rescue centre involved.

A lovely little ex-breeding bitch that I adopted from there had an incurable, untreatable and very transmittable ear infection which they hadn’t mentioned. On the advice of my vet, I returned her (with no refund of the fee or the £400 of vets bills) and then found her back on their website the next day with still no mention of the infection.

Good luck with yours 😀
I think I'd be reporting them Janine, charity status or not. That behaviour from them is totally irresponsible. :mad:

Jock. :(

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
The charity I volunteer at rehomes greyhounds from the Republic of Ireland. We get around 5 or 6 a week....

They all come with rabies jabs and an EU Pet Passport.

Showing results for importing a dog to the uk from irish republic

You can enter or return to Great Britain with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:
  1. has been microchipped.
  2. has a pet passport or health certificate.
  3. has been vaccinated against rabies - it will also need a blood test if you're travelling from an country that is not 'listed'

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Our last dog before this one came from Leitrim rescue centre Ireland ( Run by Geoff Capes sister then) via a rescue centre in Hampshire.( Second adoption from the SAME kennels in the UK ? ) The dog " Sassy " was a star ......... After we sorted out her " Fears " ...... Paper work was all in order but.. It is/was alledged that she had been bred from by the UK kennel that was NOT in the agreement with the Leitrim rescue centre. Seems a simple enough fix,go for it,having the dog....your over half way there. GOOD LUCK and Happy Walkies.
Tea Bag,Jennifer and Mira . (Another Star ? !)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift 694
Exp
Bought my motorhome in May 2023

Mindless bureaucracy!
Do you know of any vets to recommend in the Republic please?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We used Old Church Vets in Donegal, the Doonan branch just on the outskirts (west). It was setup for us by a local Funster but they were pretty laid back so you should be okay without an intro.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Did the centre mention how the dog got from Eire to Wales without a passport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back