Dog friendly beaches in Europe (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Looking for advice, after visiting our daughter in Cyprus and helping out walking dogs in the local pound, we fell for one dog and are in the process of having her flown to the uk. We spend 6 months a year in Europe travelling but we wondered if anyone could tell us the dog friendly beaches and kayaking lakes they have discovered. Our first trip with her will be on the tunnel 2nd June so a lot of beaches have dog ban in place at this time of year. I am hoping to compile a list of beaches we can take her to in France Portugal Spain Croatia and Greece.
many thanks

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can’t help with beaches but lovely to hear you’ve adopted a Cypriot skylo. Mine are both Cypriot, one follows half commands in Greek, half in English. Look forward to you posting pics when she arrives.
Being nosey —- which pound did you get her from ?

OP
OP
Lynne Roy
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Sotira, she has been in there nearly a year, municipality picked her up , she was lost and not chipped. Where did you get your dogs?i am praying she likes motorhoming. We took her for a few days out, she loved the beach.

OP
OP
Lynne Roy
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
29F0F3BA-1938-4C54-A8F5-52A10E2731FC.jpeg
5D5C265C-925D-42DF-BFB6-4EC5E3279DB5.jpeg
5D5C265C-925D-42DF-BFB6-4EC5E3279DB5.jpeg

Attachments

• FDF25A22-6968-43A1-8580-D937C9C8D00F.jpeg
    FDF25A22-6968-43A1-8580-D937C9C8D00F.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 13
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
i thought the beaches on the Cherbourg peninsula were fantastic, we were not on that occasion in the motorhome so cant recommend stops or campsites but the huge empty beaches north of Barnville-Carteretwere all dog friendly in June
last year in Brittany we were met with the area around le Palus all banning dogs - we asked at the tourist office to point us in the direction of a dog friendly beach and were told there are none!!

however the most beautiful beaches around Pleherel south of Cap Frehel were dog friendly and the huge beach south of Saint Andre was also dog friendly

we goto Tarifa and those beautiful beaches are all dog friendly

we have stayed in Le Gavres. Morbihan in the past where away from the supervised beaches around the village there was no issue with the dog and there is another huge beach with no restrictions

we found some excellent stop overs on the french Atlantic coast - in the Autumn - but found no restrictions away from urban areas on those big stretches of beach

i was researching staying in Quiberon last year and there a number of restrictions there but the tourist office of Plouharnel was very clear that they were very dog friendly and their beaches allowed dogs,there may still be some restrictions in the more built up supervised areas but there seem to be big beaches there!
our policy of staying away from beaches with lifeguard supervision has been successful except in that area of Brittany!!
enjoy!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
She looks Cypriot! I don’t know the pound you got her from but she looks in nice condition. Cass ( fluffy dog in avatar) was dumped on the beach behind my house near Larnaca. She was about 6 weeks old and will be 14 this year. I found Holly just 3 weeks before we were leaving Cyprus ( only stayed 20 months, couldn’t stand the animal cruelty) She was living wild in a pack up on Troodos mountain. She was skin and bone, had 3 pups and had a damaged leg. All her muscle had gone, vet reckoned she’d have lived another week. Puppies were all homed via the Army base at Dhekalia and they cared for Holly after we left until the vet certified her fit to fly. She’s a similar age to Cass, both getting on but still in the sea this morning, they love the beaches around here.
Cass was travel sick when I first got her but she was fine after I found Holly. They’ve full timed in the Motorhome, travelled by road in the car from SW France to Scotland, been on ferries, trains, steam trains, cliff railways, they’ll have a go at anything.
Your new dog looks lovely, I’m sure you’ll have a great time travelling together.

Edit. When I lived in Cyprus dogs were forbidden on all beaches—- fine up to £1500 Cyp pounds just for being on the beach. Woman in village near me was fined full amount. ( fine for drunk driving was £100, throwing litter on motorway was £500)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
In my admittedly rather limited experience, most coastal campsites have a dog ban on their main beach area but usually have a section where dogs are allowed. Usually not the prettiest part of the beach.
That`s how it was in Italy and Croatia last year.
Many countries, particularly Austria require dogs in public places to be muzzled.

OP
OP
Lynne Roy
Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Thank you, the women who look after the pound dogs are all English, municipality own it though. aya Nik do a lot of fund raising, my daughter is fund raising over there for me to help with expenses of getting her back home, it’s quite expensive. It’s just awful how they treat their animals, the women work so hard to rehome them and every day more dumped outside the gates. I am sure she will be happy travelling with us, she may miss other dogs though. Your dogs look lovely and happy

Deleted User
Just spent 10 days in Castelló hopping between two aires as they have a dog specific area right opposite the Aire. It closes during the summer months. People walk along the rest of the beach also with the dogs but this was February.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun