Do you know how to handle a blow out? (4 Viewers)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
My first husband had one, going north to Derby on the A38, just before the Burton on Trent turn off, whilst me and his parents were passengers in a Thames 15cwt van loaded up with mobile disco equipment. Front nearside - right in side front of me. Went v bumpy for about 3 seconds, he immediately took his foot off the accelerator and I was about to slide the door window open and hang out to have a look when there was, what I can only describe as, a F***ing big bang.

Just coasted to a (very bumpy, noisy) halt. And I've thanked my lucky stars for the last approx. 40 years, that I didn't have my head out of that window. We all got out onto the side verge, Dad and son got the jack tools and spare out, and changed it.

No panic, though have to say, his mom did blench - and I dunno what I looked like! We all needed a drink when we got up to Derby though!

I had to look up "blench" never heard that word before - thank you

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
Have done local civilian police driving course several times (over a 30 year period) and to stress importance of keeping hands at 10 to 2 position instructors cite case of a police car where a front tyre very rapidly deflated due to being struck by a shackle which came off a truck. The police driver was doing 120 mph under advanced instruction and brought the vehicle to a safe halt.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The number of blown out tyres littering the UK road network is amazing when you return from a winter abroad where you just don't see them. I often wonder why there are so many on UK roads.
Is it that they remove them abroad or are our roads just so bad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2009
banbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Seen the video but having a front tyre go on my first mh at 60ish you can't help but lift off straight away didn't brake and just rolled to a stop and let the heart rate drop back to normal

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just had 6 new tires fitted with Tyron bands, only downside is that its more weight to carry BUT will stop any damage to the vehicle and leaves you in control for a safe stop

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Suffered one many years ago on a quiet country road near Watton. Well, normally quiet, came round a gentle 90°
bend, straightening up when the tyre went and the car did a complete 360°. We ended up in a field and the oncoming tanker went past us shaking his head in bewilderment.

He must have thought you'd seen a fantastic spot in the field for wild camping.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks @Jim.

Just hope that I have correct state of mind to realise it a blow out should it ever happen! Must surely be automatic reaction to take foot off the gas. Maybe a woman thing..

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The number of blown out tyres littering the UK road network is amazing when you return from a winter abroad where you just don't see them. I often wonder why there are so many on UK roads.
Is it that they remove them abroad or are our roads just so bad.
Just another sign of the UK public services going bankrupt under the pressure of waste and the EU. No money for regular cleaning patrols.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive had two blow outs both over 50mph and both tyres ripped to shreds and to be honest neither were a problem van jus sat down onto the rim and coasted to a stop luckily both times were on queit roads
also had a trailer wheel blow on a loaded two wheeled car trailer on the m11 once again no real drama maybe ive been lucky

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
As technology improves, so will the tyres.

In order to have run flats you have to have either stiff side walls or the support rings inside the tyres on the rims. Physics demands something carrys the vehicles weight or the tyre cannot run flat.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have seen a US army Hummer vehicle with tyres that were almost indestructible as they were made of plastic rings and flexed, so they were classed as all terrain runflat, all weather tyres .

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Have done local civilian police driving course several times (over a 30 year period) and to stress importance of keeping hands at 10 to 2 position
Is this their current advice? I read an article on the RAC web site recently which said that current advice from experts is to put your hands at 9 and 3 rather than 10 and 2.

It surprised me, but Googling does seem to confirm this. Reasons quoted are ubiquitous power steering (so less leverage required), it's less tiring, and less likely to cause problems with airbag deployment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back