diesel problem - engine stopping (1 Viewer)

Alegro88

Free Member
Sep 13, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Dear All

Sometime when the diesel is low the engine just stops and it takes ages for the engine to fire up again. I think it maybe a feul tank issue ?
Any advice

Chris

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Fill your tank up more often:roflmto::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though I have the same problem on petrol but my bus runs on LPG to, I am looking at fuel filter and pump.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Fuel starvation

Hi

I know someone will correct me if I am wrong. but I THINK the chevy 6.2 had an engine driven mechanical pump? (I don`t remember an electric pump on my `88 pace arrow) which if worn will tend to loose "draw" as the fuel level drops, add in a dirty filter and you may have the answer to your problem?

another consideration, is the fuel tank air vent Blocked. if so the tank will have a negative pressure and tend to "suck back" on the supply line, competing against the fuel pump?

Worth a thought??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

PFH

Free Member
Jul 15, 2008
WALES
Funster No
MH
LOW LINE COACH
Exp
3 Years
Hi Chris,
You may have a problem with the fuel pick-up pipe in the fuel tank. Some manufactururs fit a filter at the base of the pipe. The bottome of the filter becomes blocked, this would then cause your problem when you are low on fuel.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the obvious is dont rely on the fuel guage........it sounds like it aint accurate.

put a new low level mark on the guage above the problem area. bit of nail varnish should do it.:thumb:

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
For what it's worth, i have virtually the same vehicle as you. Although i have not had this problem,sometimes when filling up during a trip i have noticed a vacuum when undoing the filler cap.Maybe it's the vent in the cap blocked.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I have experienced this with the Scania trucks that I ran we found several causes.

Filter at the bottom of the pickup pipe in the tank blocked.

Some clever previous owner had taken the pipe out and shortened it so as not to pick up the crap in the bottom of the tank

We have also had a small blob of sealant or the like that floats just below the surface and thus when diesel level is low this will sometimes get stuck in the pickup pipe if there is no filter. This was a nightmare to trace as when you take the pickup pipe out you release the suction and the little blob drops out again:Angry::Angry:

Another problem we encountered was the filter at the end of the pick up pipe had rubbed over years on the bottom of the tank so much that the flat bottom had worn through at the edge to form a sort of flap which would sometimes swing up to block or restrict the pickup pipe.

Hope this may help

Regards Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back