Dieppe to Newhaven (1 Viewer)

Mar 1, 2021
Guardamar del Segura, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Travelling to U.K. 25/11. vía DFDS Dieppe/Newhaven (early sailing) and then return 14/12 (Night sailing) Any tips on arrival at either port, as never traveled this route before

thanks in advance

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
You can stay overnight in Dieppe port right up to the passport control gate and is very safe or you can park on the left of the gates in small lane that’s not used if very early in day or night.
Also you can park in Newhaven port too same thing after last boat gone before your one normally 10am after this you can park all day right up to gates again McDonald’s 5 min walk up the road in Newhaven

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MartinandBev
Mar 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
You can stay overnight in Dieppe port right up to the passport control gate and is very safe or you can park on the left of the gates in small lane that’s not used if very early in day or night.
What literally up to the passport gate ? 🤪 excellent as says we need to be there no later than 0330 so may get there earlier and have a Kip

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've been using the N'haven - Dieppe - N'haven crossing for 40+ years. It's a small and very laid back port with just a couple of ferries a day. The onward roads are fine. I live quite near but North of Newhaven and always turn right at the port exit and follow the signs to Lewes to get onto the excellent A 27 which runs West towards Brighton and the A 23 and East towards Pevensey.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
What literally up to the passport gate ? 🤪 excellent as says we need to be there no later than 0330 so may get there earlier and have a Kip
Yep. There's also a large aire at the roadside about 300 to 400 yds towards Dieppe town centre and another large one right on Dieppe prom.

OP
OP
MartinandBev
Mar 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
I've been using the N'haven - Dieppe - N'haven crossing for 40+ years. It's a small and very laid back port with just a couple of ferries a day. The onward roads are fine. I live quite near but North of Newhaven and always turn right at the port exit and follow the signs to Lewes to get onto the excellent A 27 which runs West towards Brighton and the A 23 and East towards Pevensey.
Thanks, we are heading Southampton way to see family so will follow this advice 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We regularly use it as we are only 20 miles from Newhaven. Both ports nice and small so very easy.
We came back from Dieppe last Wednesday coming down the hill to the port there was a queue of lorries half way up the hill. We did a 3 point turn and went through the village at the top of the hill & down to the iron bridge turned right before it the up the road past the Aire to the port.
At Newhaven be careful exiting the port there are two huge great speed bumps that pail the French ones into insignificance.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Is that the crossing that there is a telephone booking discount of 20% for the over 60's?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yep. There's also a large aire at the roadside about 300 to 400 yds towards Dieppe town centre and another large one right on Dieppe prom.
Used to use the Aire until their silly price increases, was €5 then €7 now its been €12 for a while.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Is that the crossing that there is a telephone booking discount of 20% for the over 60's?
Yes, makes it a really good price & saves us 400 miles on a round trip to Spain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
O
Better to park in the right hand lane as you enter the port, nothing ever uses that lane.

1637090331758.png

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp

Yes, and for students and disabled people. It's part of an agreement made 20 or 30 years ago when the service was run jointly by the local council and the Dieppe Chamber of Commerce. Provided that the 'lead person' is over 60 the whole ticket is discounted even if other passengers are under 60.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie

Might come in handy for the OP . 🤣

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner

Yes, but now at a premium rate phone call. The 0800 917 1201 number has been withdrawn, so we booked by email ...

Steve

OP
OP
MartinandBev
Mar 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
Thanks for all the replies on this, very helpful - one last thing, travelling up from our home in Southern Spain and transiting through France to Dieppe do i need to provide one of these - if so where can I find one?

Thanks again
SWORN UNDERTAKING TO COMPLY WITH RULES FOR ENTRY
INTO METROPOLITAN FRENCH TERRITORY

(From amber list countries)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I wasn't sure so I printed out some forms before leaving the UK, never needed them no boarder checks anywhere. We went from UK to France then Belgium back to France then Spain and back through France, we came back last week.
Even coming out of the UK had to show we had been vaccinated but didn't ask for the forms.

You can download the forms here.

OP
OP
MartinandBev
Mar 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Sonic 700i SL
I wasn't sure so I printed out some forms before leaving the UK, never needed them no boarder checks anywhere. We went from UK to France then Belgium back to France then Spain and back through France, we came back last week.
Even coming out of the UK had to show we had been vaccinated but didn't ask for the forms.

You can download the forms here.

Thankyou - appreciate quick response, will do the same and print them off just in case :)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Thanks for all the replies on this, very helpful - one last thing, travelling up from our home in Southern Spain and transiting through France to Dieppe do i need to provide one of these - if so where can I find one?

Thanks again
SWORN UNDERTAKING TO COMPLY WITH RULES FOR ENTRY
INTO METROPOLITAN FRENCH TERRITORY

(From amber list countries)
I checked with DFDS, you do need one for the outward leg. No mention for the return leg though! I'm sure the wording is on the DFDS website and the Contact Centre person said I could handwrite the document on plain white paper

Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I checked with DFDS, you do need one for the outward leg. No mention for the return leg though! I'm sure the wording is on the DFDS website and the Contact Centre person said I could handwrite the document on plain white paper

Steve
You need the QR code from the UK passenger locator form to get back into the UK, it's all done online & proof of vaccination.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
You need the QR code from the UK passenger locator form to get back into the UK, it's all done online & proof of vaccination.
Sorry, Lenny, I was only answering the Declaration sur l'honneur query. I'd never given it a thought until the question was asked, but if the French Government require a Declaration before boarding on the outward leg, it wouldn't be a surprise to ask for it on the return leg, because you'd still risk spreading infection on the boat, and the Dieppe to Newhaven crossing will become the next Newhaven to Dieppe which still leaves time for infection to live and contaminate the next lot of passengers ...

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back