LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last Wednesday I used the van .. just had to deliver a moped across town and it was easier to use the motorhome with its scooter rack
Went to the m/h today and blipped the blipper.. Nadda, not a sausage
Battery had completely collapsed.
Put a charger on it and it drew 20 amps
After about 30 minutes it had got enough in it to start the engine
Ran it for 10 minutes or so and switched off.
Within 15 minutes it had got back to 10v .. Checked draw.. a few millivolts ( clock, alarm etc )
So one new battery on order from Tayna's
MUCH cheaper than any where locally ( even at trade prices ) and a 4 year warranty :)
Whether something broke in the battery ( 2.5 years old ) or whether I have an intermittent current draw problem remains to be seen

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ouch, only 2½ years old. Replaced mine at 4 years due to an intermittent CBE relay that was charging it from the hab battery. When I checked it, it had lost over 50% of its capacity so changed it, I didn't want to get stuck somewhere.
Bought a Yausa with 5 year warranty from Halfords using a trade card it was cheaper than Tayna & Battery Mega Store.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ouch, only 2½ years old. Replaced mine at 4 years due to an intermittent CBE relay that was charging it from the hab battery. When I checked it, it had lost over 50% of its capacity so changed it, I didn't want to get stuck somewhere.
Bought a Yausa with 5 year warranty from Halfords using a trade card it was cheaper than Tayna & Battery Mega Store.
Yes a bit miffed, but it was bought locally through one of my trade accounts .. and looking back it was only £48 so I got that worth out of it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Last Wednesday I used the van .. just had to deliver a moped across town and it was easier to use the motorhome with its scooter rack
Went to the m/h today and blipped the blipper.. Nadda, not a sausage
Battery had completely collapsed.
Put a charger on it and it drew 20 amps
After about 30 minutes it had got enough in it to start the engine
Ran it for 10 minutes or so and switched off.
Within 15 minutes it had got back to 10v .. Checked draw.. a few millivolts ( clock, alarm etc )
So one new battery on order from Tayna's
MUCH cheaper than any where locally ( even at trade prices ) and a 4 year warranty :)
Whether something broke in the battery ( 2.5 years old ) or whether I have an intermittent current draw problem remains to be seen
Had the same with ours when it was at the garage for a service. Drove there fine and it went for it's MOT (elsewhere) and back to the garage then it wouldn't start when they were bringing it back from the garage to us. Jump started it and drove it to ours. No charge overnight and nothing next morning. Reported it to the garage who had a new battery delivered and fitted the same morning so we could go to Lochore Meadows.

Still waiting for the invoice.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
New battery arrived... Checked the old one and it was still up. Started the van no problem ..grrrrrrr !!!!
ut.....
I was wrong about the fitting date, it was 3 years and a couple of months, so in my book ready for change any way.
I tend to change cab batteries at 3 years and hab batteries even sooner ( while they still have PLENTY of good use in them )
Reason ?
I can easily sell 2 year old known good batteries for half price and that pays for 1.5 new ones :), so I get 100% good batteries all the time for about £45 a year
While it was apart I double checked current draw ( slightly more than I would have liked at 23mA* ) and checked the alternator is charging ok ( which it it )

*I would normally expect 12 to 15mA but put the extra down to the alarm and tracker

Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
I am reading about "lost over 50% of its capacity" and "discharge 50% causes damage" - but how is the 50% measured ? is it a multimeter voltage check ? (50% of 12.8 is 6.4)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am reading about "lost over 50% of its capacity" and "discharge 50% causes damage" - but how is the 50% measured ? is it a multimeter voltage check ? (50% of 12.8 is 6.4)
After fully charging I checked the voltage daily with charging disconnected the only load on the battery was 80ma, voltage was down in 10 - 12 days to what I would have expected in about 23 days.
My measurements are listed on another thread somewhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back