Delamination on roof? (1 Viewer)

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I have a brand new Chausson 711 Traveline and noticed that there is a band of the roof ‘skin’ around 25mm wide across the full width of the roof that appears to have delaminated from the underlying structure. My understanding is that the roof structure is a ‘sandwich’ made up of the outer skin bonded to insulation and the inner board.

It is obvious when you press on the outside ‘skin’ where you can feel it flexing. The issue only appears to be on this one area where it meets the front grp roofline.

Any thoughts or guidance from those in the know?

Jim

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
GRP roofs are often floating and not bonded, Rapido's are like that, so maybe nothing wrong with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Hi jim , sorry to hear about your roof , how long have you had it ? , have you informed the retailer ? If so when ? , Pictures would be helpful, I know a little about bonding of roofs as I have been there & done that one , not all motorhomes roofs are bonded the same , some have expansion joints because different materials have different expansion rates , the slightly earlier model of my HM had a 30mm expansion area ( unbounded ) but my MH didn’t, I’ll show you mine if you show me yours 😏 , my MH needed to go back to the factory to get a new roof I successfully rejected the van & got a new one made

AE3F973B-8A87-4137-B7C6-8CA62D5758B9.jpeg
46DC34CE-D5B1-4D5F-8C2D-60398E2CB374.jpeg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I read that as Dalmatian on roof .😂
super bowl GIF by Budweiser

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Ralph-n- Bev - might indeed be a Dalmatian on the woof🤣

I am hoping that it is a floating roof and have just emailed the dealership today for advice. I bought the Van new in October and it has hardly moved from my drive - only around 300 miles on the clock from driving from the dealership to my home in Central Scotland.

It is nothing like the photo posted by Scotch Mist as it is barely visible. However you can feel the movement if you press on it. It is across the width of the vehicle where the flat roof section meets/joins the sloping roof at the front. The roof is a one piece and no joints other than at the back and front (where I detected the issue)

I have been trying to find out if Chausson uses a ‘bonded’ or ‘floating’ roof skin but as yet I haven’t been able to find that clarification. Hopefully it is a ‘floating’ skin as some have suggested - but I will come back on once I hear something definitive from the dealership. I have asked them to provide the advice from Chausson.

Watch this space - and thanks for the comments so far!

Jim

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
My apologies for the delay in updating this post.

I wrote to Chausson in early March but unfortunately I have had no acknowledgement or reply. Not great Customer Service so far.

After some helpful correspondence with the dealer I have been assured that it is normal at this point in the roof where the two panels overlap. However, as my vehicle is scheduled to go in on 29 April (Covid permitting) to get warranty work completed to replace two window blinds, they said they would have a look at the roof area in question.

If I have more to report I will post it in due course. In the interim thank you to those who responded.

Jim

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We had a Benimar with a 30mm section of rippled skin right across the front where the roof meets the cab section, it was supposed to be there, as it was how they were manufactured, also had a Dethleffs with a 75mm rippled section in hot weather down each side of the roof these were also to allow for expansion.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I don’t think it is anything to worry about. Our Elddis has a floating roof which has lots of ripples on a hot day. They mostly disappear when the weather is colder.

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Folks
Thanks for your comments. They appear to confirm what the dealership has indicated - so looks as if it is not an issue! When I visit them on 29 April it will hopefully then put the matter to bed.
Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back