rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think the comparison with lorry drivers is valid - however, a few things must be considered first.

A lorry driver is obligated by law to stop - in the event of the lay-by being a non-camping one, that legislation is invlaid as he would have the break the law in order to apply with a by-law. Therefore the by-law would be over-ridden.

In the case of a motorhome/caravan, you have the choice of driving another ten minutes to find a suitable rest stop. You will also notice that main trunk route lay-bys do not have camping restrictions...only the off route and prettier tourist route ones do.

In the interests of safety, they would prefer to stop at services with safety in numbers, but traffic and limited speeds sometimes mean they are stuck looking for the nearest spot. There are far less places to stop in a lorry!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A lorry driver is obligated by law to stop - in the event of the lay-by being a non-camping one, that legislation is invlaid as he would have the break the law in order to apply with a by-law. Therefore the by-law would be over-ridden.

Why though.

Lorry driver has a planned route and loads of experience. It's hardly a case of "Oh shit my 8 hours are up I must stop in this layby".

There is no logical reason why he can't stop at 7 hours if there is no legal parking on his known route after he passes one at 7 hours.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Why though.

Lorry driver has a planned route and loads of experience. It's hardly a case of "Oh shit my 8 hours are up I must stop in this layby".

There is no logical reason why he can't stop at 7 hours if there is no legal parking on his known route after he passes one at 7 hours.

This is where presure from employers come in. He is expected to drive to the driving hours limit and not use his judgement as to when and where to park. If he doesn't drive to his maximum hours he gets less pay.

There is also lack of proper parking provision as Graham pointed out. Many stoping places have been closed down with road improvements and no alternative being put in place in that locality. Others have ceased trading and the site is blocked off rendering it un-usable. Many local authorities dont help by restricting car park use or prohibiting certain vehicle types.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)Many stoping places have been closed down with road improvements and no alternative being put in place in that locality. Others have ceased trading and the site is blocked off rendering it un-usable. Many local authorities dont help by restricting car park use or prohibiting certain vehicle types.

Most local authority car parks are designed for vehicles of no more than 3 - 3.5 tonnes weight (or even less). To put in a structure suitable for (in reality, very few) heavier vehicles is much more expensive and very difficult to justify to taxpayers in any economic climate.

One alternative source of provision for HGV drivers which, it always appears to me, could be used but seems not to be made available is the many yards/depots owned by haulage companies. I should have thought that the Road Haulage Association could have come up with a scheme, through its members, of allowing vehicles to park up on a sort of quid pro quo basis. Apart from anything else it should mean more security from theft for HGVs. Perhaps, though, there are factors I'm missing :Smile:

Graham

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Why though.

Unlike you Brian, to give an answer which is not thought through.
Should drivers have the facility to do this, which personal experience tells me they dont, the transport infrastructure would go to the wall.
In most parts of the UK the only overnight parking option is the layby.
They are not places chosen from choice, but from necessity.

Drivers not using permitted hours to the full would inevitably lead to more LGVs on the road in order to move the same tonnage. (half of them being parked up, but where?)
Transport costs will increase, which in turn increases the cost of everything we buy.
If you've got it, a truck brought it.

I dont really know what the shout is about here.
I have seen many MHs parked overnight in laybys with apparently no interference from authority.
It's simple:
Where overnight parking / sleeping / camping is banned, its banned.
Find somewhere else.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Most local authority car parks are designed for vehicles of no more than 3 - 3.5 tonnes weight (or even less). To put in a structure suitable for (in reality, very few) heavier vehicles is much more expensive and very difficult to justify to taxpayers in any economic climate.

Graham

I understand what you say here, but how many time have I seen HGV's parked up on just hardcore or even bare hard ground, are the council's going over the top for some reason?

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've also seen HGVs parked up in similar situations, Doug, but have had no idea what the underlying structure of the ground is. I would guess that HGV drivers would not park up where they thought there was a likelihood of getting stuck.

Car parks are like roads and footpaths in that they are constructed to standards designed to fit them for the intended use.

So, a footpath, intended only for pedestrians, will not be designed to withstand as much heavy use as the road, for instance - the reason why proper dropped kerb works are required and why building material suppliers aren't supposed to park a delivery wagon on the pavement to lift off heavy loads. It's the same sort of thing with a car park, not going over the top.

Graham

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Car parks are like roads and footpaths in that they are constructed to standards designed to fit them for the intended use.
Graham

Yes, but who sets these standards, I and possibly you, have traveled all over Europe and I see HGV's parked in every conceivable place and most of them are not on nice smooth concrete of tarmac so why do we have to go to all the expense of supper hard standings, is it because the people in the councils don't care how much they spend, its not their money?

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, but who sets these standards, I and possibly you, have traveled all over Europe and I see HGV's parked in every conceivable place and most of them are not on nice smooth concrete of tarmac so why do we have to go to all the expense of supper hard standings, is it because the people in the councils don't care how much they spend, its not their money?

Doug...

I haven't a clue who sets the standards but I would guess it would be either a professional civil engineering body or central government informed by such a body.

HGVs might be parked anywhere the driver likes but that does not mean that the place is suitable and that no damage is going to occur, especially if usage is long term.

The main point, though, is that if anyone - be it a public or private sector body - builds anything and has a subsequent long term maintenance duty then it is only sensible to make sure that it is built to a level of quality appropriate to its intended use. To do otherwise would definitely be to demonstrate a lack of care in spending.

Graham

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
All I wanted was a definition of camping as it applies in the UK :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition! We have two, no three, main weapons...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
All I wanted was a definition of camping as it applies in the UK :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition! We have two, no three, main weapons...

Typical case of thread piracy. It happens all the time.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back