Decisions! Decisions... (1 Viewer)

Arcos

Free Member
Dec 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
We started out with a self build VW T4, moved to an old 6 berth Fiat Ducato now looking to get something more "modern".

Looked at quite a few makers, designs, configurations.

Her in doors wants a transverse bed, we both want an integral type...

With some compromises, as life expects, we are down to a Hymer B544/644 or a Rapido (something) sleeps 6.

What we have found in out search is that Pilote and derivatives of, of a certain age, all have or have had leaks in the roof :-(

Is that normal of this type of motorhome?

We found a Knaus, not integral, but stunning interior, had been standing around for a year and clearly needed some mechanical work with service light and event STOP light coming on when the engine was started.

We are on a "budget" but want something that will last a few years without breaking down or turning into a swimming pool.

Any recommendations?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
This is our fourth and oldest ever motorhome.

We have had 2 low mileage, used. A 17 month old and a 3 year old. Along with a brand new Mh. All Mercedes, all German.

We now have a 20 year old B644 Fiat Hymer. Not the most dynamic thing to drive. Though the wider track feels more stable than the needs. No ESP, ASR, Airbags etc.

it did have the rear high brake light lWSJ that is common. But easily sorted.

I do miss the big Bathroom of the Frankia 8.5m though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Welcome. I think you want the same thing everyone else wants good condition and a reasonable price. Not surprisingly as everyone else wants the same the price will probably be higher than you would like and it will be hard to find but they are out there. I don't think theres any easy answers theres certainly not a make that always age well never leak and is cheap!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arcos

Free Member
Dec 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
This is our fourth and oldest ever motorhome.

We have had 2 low mileage, used. A 17 month old and a 3 year old. Along with a brand new Mh. All Mercedes, all German.

We now have a 20 year old B644 Fiat Hymer. Not the most dynamic thing to drive. Though the wider track feels more stable than the needs. No ESP, ASR, Airbags etc.

it did have the rear high brake light lWSJ that is common. But easily sorted.

I do miss the big Bathroom of the Frankia 8.5m though

Not the most dynamic? One of the reasons for wanting to upgrade is a little more performance than our aged 2.5d Ducato.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Not the most dynamic? One of the reasons for wanting to upgrade is a little more performance than our aged 2.5d Ducato.

What did you have and what have you replaced it with ?

Hi, ours is a little younger. Its a 2.8 Iveco engine

Its noisier than the V6 we had in our last A class.

I Suppose its the lack of letters that make it feel a bit dated.

I am not looking to buy a motorhome as such after this. More of a Camper Van with toilet and Shower to replace it and tow a small caravan. I think we have settled on a CS Amigo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Arcos

Free Member
Dec 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
What did you have and what have you replaced it with ?

Hi, ours is a little younger. Its a 2.8 Iveco engine

Its noisier than the V6 we had in our last A class.

I Suppose its the lack of letters that make it feel a bit dated.

I am not looking to buy a motorhome as such after this. More of a Camper Van with toilet and Shower to replace it and tow a small caravan. I think we have settled on a CS Amigo.

We have an unknown 1983 Fiat Ducato that was imported from Germany. Really have NO idea who the builder is.

She is amazing and fulfils most of our requirements. The biggest issue is every journey taking 2.5 times longer than driving in a car. Even on the highways it can be painful. We have found that many drivers are overly friendly and often wave at us, blowing their horns, especially when in 2nd gear doing 40km/h lol

We have more or less decided on an integral style replacement with a little more get up and go.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Hi.....take a look at Euramobil very well made..winterized..double floors..ours is 2002 and looks and drives well..2.8td 65mph is as fast as you'd want to go in it..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back