Decisions decisions. Serbia or Romania next? (1 Viewer)

Geegee

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay self build
Exp
Hi folks, Currently coming to the end of my month in Bulgaria after overwintering in Greece/Turkey and slowly heading back to the UK. Can't make my mind up between Serbia or Romania for the next couple weeks. Anyone been to both?
I like my rural/mountain/river/lake scenery and old towns and love taking the back roads. Usually drop into a campsite once a week for personal admin (dhobi and a good scrub). Also enjoy the twice weekly treat of a meal out and a few beers sitting outside a restaurant. Not bothered about the big cities as I've avoided them this trip.
Those who have experienced both, would you recommend one over the other. Because I'm coming from Bulgaria no covid restrictions are in place at either border. I've also got the green card for both countries. Want to enjoy them as once I get to Hungary it's transit only through most of the rest. Thank you

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Yes, I've been to both and without doubt I would recommend Romania. It is my favourite country for motor homing and for all the reasons that you quote "I like my rural/mountain/river/lake scenery and old towns and love taking the back roads."
We wild camped 80% of the time and without incident. Some of the campsites are run by Dutch nationals who, I am led to believe, went to Romania to help in the orphanages after the fall of the Ceaușescu regime of the late 80s and they stayed.
There was a couple on here who did regular threads on their lockdown in Romania. I'll see if I can find them. There is also Raul who is very knowledgeable on Romania.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi folks, Currently coming to the end of my month in Bulgaria after overwintering in Greece/Turkey and slowly heading back to the UK. Can't make my mind up between Serbia or Romania for the next couple weeks. Anyone been to both?
I like my rural/mountain/river/lake scenery and old towns and love taking the back roads. Usually drop into a campsite once a week for personal admin (dhobi and a good scrub). Also enjoy the twice weekly treat of a meal out and a few beers sitting outside a restaurant. Not bothered about the big cities as I've avoided them this trip.
Those who have experienced both, would you recommend one over the other. Because I'm coming from Bulgaria no covid restrictions are in place at either border. I've also got the green card for both countries. Want to enjoy them as once I get to Hungary it's transit only through most of the rest. Thank you
Sorry can't help with your question, Croatia and Montenegro are nice if you can get into them.

How did you get on with Turkey? which areas did you visit, how cold in the winter? much hassle crossing the border?

Cheers and happy onward travels

Jon

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I would skip Serbia as transit, then head for Croatia, Bosnia Slovenia, if going that route.
If going into Romania at Giurgiu, there is not much there unless going to Bucharest or Danube delta. Or I would just head straight for Vidin and cross there. Much more in here on the Olt valey, or part of Transfagarasan. It’s closed at the top this time. You got transalpina as you go to Deva or Sibiu, or around Cluj plenty to explore. You could make it to Bran heading towards Brasov, and see Dracula castle, then head towards Sibiu. But you will miss the south side of Fagaras mountains with the valleys, river dams and lakes. Lots of choices to explore that south west part.

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We’ve been to both and I think Romania is better. Saying that, we liked Serbia as well.

Our favourite place was in the north, especially around Breb. There is a campsite run by a Dutch couple. The book Along the Enchanted Way describes the area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Raul has reminded me that the Fagaras Mountain road is stunning. Jeremy Clarkson rated it as the best road in the world.
And Motorhead Fun is right to recommend Along the Enchanted Way. A great book to read to get you into the mood for the country.
I have mentioned in a previous thread that the Merry Cemetery at Sapanta is well worth a stop.

OP
OP
Geegee

Geegee

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay self build
Exp
Sorry can't help with your question, Croatia and Montenegro are nice if you can get into them.

How did you get on with Turkey? which areas did you visit, how cold in the winter? much hassle crossing the border?

Cheers and happy onward travels

Jon
Didn't cross from Greece till early March then headed quickly to the south coast. Warmed up near Kusadasi then shorts n t shirts service was resumed again. PCR test needed before entry to Turkey but very slick at the border. No problems being a Brit with Brit plates.

Dennisad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2015
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome EB
Exp
New July 2015
Unfortunately for us, we didn't get to Serbia. In Romania we only got to see Timisoara and a small town Saliste near to Sibiu, but even though we were in lock down we had a great time. Raul is the man to help you about Romania, we when everything settles will be going back to Romania.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
Could you tell me more about the green card please? is it just 3rd party cover or fully comp, & with who? Or did you buy at the border? Many thanks, Ken

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back