Dc to dc charger wiring ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Hi , I decided to shelve the lithium battery idea for now and just bought 3 new lead acid batteries, cheap and cheerful. I have also bought a 12/12/30 amp victron Orion tr smart dc to dc charger to get maximum charge into them while driving.
1st question is , is it a case of running a positive and a negative from my starter battery to the input on the charger and then the same from the output to the leisure batteries?
2nd question is where on my 3 leisure batteries do I connect? Do I connect to the positive and negative on the closest battery or the positive on the closest battery and the negative on the furthest ? Thanks for any help and any other info that might be helpful šŸ˜„šŸ‘

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
2nd question is where on my 3 leisure batteries do I connect? Do I connect to the positive and negative on the closest battery or the positive on the closest battery and the negative on the furthest ? Thanks for any help and any other info that might be helpful
That is the correct way to do it you should also connect to your hab circuit the same way.
A 30 amp B2B is a bit small for a 3 battery bank.

OP
OP
seanoo
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
That is the correct way to do it you should also connect to your hab circuit the same way.
A 30 amp B2B is a bit small for a 3 battery bank.
Cheers Lenny , can I fit a second dc to dc the same as the one I bought and get 60 amps ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Cheers Lenny , can I fit a second dc to dc the same as the one I bought and get 60 amps ?
I found this on the Victron site.
ā€œThe Orion Tr-Smart charger can be used in 12V or 24V systems and is suitable for both lead acid and lithium batteries. Models are available up to 400W and unlimited multiple units can be connected in parallel to increase output power.ā€

There are isolated and non isolated models, you had better check the exact details for the model you have bought.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
positive on the closest battery and the negative on the furthest ?
Of those two choices that one is better. Also the main load positive and negative should be connected like that too.

The idea of this is to make voltage drop ie the wire length to each battery equal. A better method for three batteries is to put an isolator switch and/or a fuse in the positive wire near the battery. Then run three equal length wires from the switch/fuse to each battery positive.

On the negative side, if you are wiring in a shunt for a battery monitor, you could run three equal wires from the shunt to each battery negative. If not, you could put in a busbar or a distribution post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
seanoo
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I found this on the Victron site.
ā€œThe Orion Tr-Smart charger can be used in 12V or 24V systems and is suitable for both lead acid and lithium batteries. Models are available up to 400W and unlimited multiple units can be connected in parallel to increase output power.ā€

There are isolated and non isolated models, you had better check the exact details for the model you have bought.
Thanks for the info . Looked on the box and mine is isolated , is that good lol ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Isolated is needed if the two systems do not share a grounded negative whereas the non-isolated has a common negative. In practice with the isolated you need to connect a negative connection to both of the negative connections on the unit but it doesnā€™t seem to matter that they join up to a common earth.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back