Dare I ask a Grey wate question (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
As I was using my MoHo until after new years day and the weather down south has only just started to drop below zero I have just got round to emptying the fresh and grey water.
Fresh water was no problem with the dump valve on the truma and taking the plugs out of the tank.
However the grey didn't seem to want to flow easily, it started very slowly and then a little fater when I lowered the corrugated pipe. Then it stopped even thought the tank was virtually full. It only started again when I moved the van back and forward a couple of times. There are no drain plugs in the tank like in the fresh tank and there is a build up of foul smelling gunk at the bottom.
What is the best way to clean the grey tank. Can I put drain cleaner in it and also the corrugated plastic drain pipe, or maybe caustic soda.
Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Try a few kettles of hot water first, it's amazing what you can shift with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
3 or 4 litres of cheap cola and take it for a drive. Or as said hot water with a little bleach.
It needs to be driven around with some fluid in the tank to "wash" the inside and then empty immediately

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
A couple 2litre bottles of Coke Cola down the sink then take it for a run and a good shake around.
I try to do it when homeward bound after a trip.

Another tip, greasey Plates and Pans, if you wash them in the M/H give them a good rub over with a paper towel before washing them to remove the grease and oil

As @WillH above, another good tip, then while still hot take it for a run around the block.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Those corrugated hoses are horrible for blocking. Glad I haven't got one any more, since I have not had British motorhomes for many years. Caustic soda can help. If you have access to mains water a backflush of the drain hose can get things moving again. Cheap cola is good too, has to be the one with sugar for some reason.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Caustic flake is ph 12+ you need somewhere safe to dump it - and dont add caustic soda crystals to hot water seen that done and blew back and hit the roof of factory where i worked

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Ok...so I have read numerous posts about grey water....and it has been suggested that cooking water from pasta should not be poured down the sink..is this advice the same for other starchy food for instance rice and potatoes...and what do you do with it instead?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
DON’T put hot water down any drains, especially in a motorhome. The parts aren’t designed to deal with that heat. It destroys house stuff let alone MoHo bits.

In the trade I use a wet vac and draw out any blockages, but in my MoHo I just use a mains pressure garden hose down each drain, and sometimes up the tank drain.

There is often an access hole in tank if you want a good go. Enjoy.

Any coke, or anything overly powerful will take the finish off your electrical contacts that inform you of its fill level.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Try to avoid greasy water going down the sink.
Use hot water.....NOT boiling-you may distort any plastic components.
Don’t use household drain cleaner, I did with boiling water & we had to replace the sink drain hole parts!
We used a few litres of white vinegar in our tank last time, get it from supermarché in France.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Garden hose up your waste pipe at least your clearing that section ,also partly fill sink with water and using a wad of cloth smartly press down on drain plug hole a few times .

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Ok...so I have read numerous posts about grey water....and it has been suggested that cooking water from pasta should not be poured down the sink..is this advice the same for other starchy food for instance rice and potatoes...and what do you do with it instead?

We drain it over the washing up bowl and then dispose of this water in a hedge/by a tree/drain as appropriate.

We only have pasta water, we tend to use the microwave rice packets nowadays as they are a serving for 2 and you can stir fry (or cook in a couple of tbsp of water). I know this is a bit off topic :)

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Well I didn't know that. You can learn something new every day on here.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
sometimes up the tank drain
That’s fine on most British and French Motorhomes, but not German ones
8D48CFA3-992C-44B5-B904-EB10F197F6A4.jpeg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Try using white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda, good for washing machines as well.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I used to know a couple who claimed never to put anything greasy down the sink. They wiped everything clean with kitchen roll before washing.
I empty my grey water whenever possible, and we try to let as little solid as possible go down the plug. We consider the above to be a bit extreme but do clean up excessive silage before washing. When retuning home, I empty all the remaining hot water from the boiler down the drain, together with some disinfectant, and let it slosh about on the homeward journey. I empty out when I get home. It keeps the smell sweet and doesn't seem to build-up with grime.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
DON’T put hot water down any drains, especially in a motorhome. The parts aren’t designed to deal with that heat. It destroys house stuff let alone MoHo bits.

In the trade I use a wet vac and draw out any blockages, but in my MoHo I just use a mains pressure garden hose down each drain, and sometimes up the tank drain.

There is often an access hole in tank if you want a good go. Enjoy.

Any coke, or anything overly powerful will take the finish off your electrical contacts that inform you of its fill level.
The level rods are stainless steel. There's nothing in the waste plumbing that can't cope with boiling water.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used to know a couple who claimed never to put anything greasy down the sink.
Not us is it? :) If the dogs don't lick it clean, then the kitchen roll is used! :D

No point having a nice hot bowl of washing-up water then contaminating it with loads of grease/muck ... I even wipe the knives and forks we've used before washing them up as they often have food remains on. I don't need to use loads of water to wash-up and it is quicker too. (y)

We often use paper plates instead of normal ones so even less washing up ... can't be having my 'leisure time' restricted by spending too long on chores like washing-up! :D2

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Man up everyone... it is just a different kind of scent.

My grey water is like nectar from the gods.

(A reasonably sized puddle of it under my van stops other vans from parking too close.) (y)

JJ :cool:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My grey water is like nectar from the gods
Ours smells worse than the toilet cassette so try to empty into a bucket every day rather than let sludge build up in the tank.(y);)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our CI gives that directive. I drain the water into a pan or basin and put it into the casette as that gets emptied daily, not had a problem so far.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Can you get anything up the outlet to give it a shoogle about? Or as someone else said try and force water from a hose back up to free off anything there.

Let us know how you get on so we can get the same sense of satisfaction as you'll get if you finally release the flow!

OP
OP
vectian
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Can you get anything up the outlet to give it a shoogle about? Or as someone else said try and force water from a hose back up to free off anything there.

Let us know how you get on so we can get the same sense of satisfaction as you'll get if you finally release the flow!
Unfortunately I don't have access to an outside hose so cant put it up the drain hose
Looks like it'll be unclipping the open end of the corrugated pipe raising it above the height of the grey tank and pouring a weak caustic soda solution down it and leaving it a while. Then poring boiling water into the grey tank and dropping the pipe and opening the release valve and hope all the muck is loose enough to flow out

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Have you got a plunger? Try using it over the plug hole first to try and get a bit of movement down there. Or if you don't have one, someone mentioned using a wad of kitchen roll just to force air/water back and forth.

What diameter roughly is this corrugated pipe? Sounds strange that it's blocked as I imagine it would be quite wide.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sandra @Liverpoollass if there's anything greasy or starchy I put it down the loo or if on a site in the WC emptying drain. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back