Current regulations for France (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2021
Hayling Island, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhome since 2014, Caravan previously.
We are finally off to France in the motorhome in a couple of weeks. According to the UK Gov website we do not need to acquire an International driving permit (IDP) from the post Office before we travel can anyone confirm this.

Additionally does anyone know what sort of Covid test is required within 72 hours of our return to the UK and can we take our own or do we have to source one in France? The UK.gov site has a link to the equivalent French website but I cannot find an English translation for this.

As an aside just arranged for the dogs travel certificate.....£250!! We did our homework and could find it cheaper at other vets however you would have to be registered with them already for them to carry it out as it takes about an hour for the vet to fill out all the paperwork. Another plus point (Not) for leaving the EU!!! But let's not go there!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No IPD or green card needed.
Lateral flow test whilst in France on return needed and day 2 PCR test needed on return to UK. I understand this is best booked whilst still in France as you'll need the reference number to enter on you passenger locator form needed to re enter UK.
I've just done the AHC ring around and prices vary from 150 to 290.
Fortunately the vets charging 150 will do it for me even though not registered there, so booked that.
The receptionist was telling me to they're inundated with requests, so much so she couldn't give me a date, just took my travel date and said someone will ring with appt. Nice little earner for them, I'm sure the form is long and complicated but after doing a few I bet they will fly through it and have them done and signed in no time.

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
We ordered our Day 2 tests for the return to UK expecting it to arrive after we arrived back in Oct but the tests have arrived here at home already. We have the ref number for the Passenger locator form.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No you do not need an IDP for France.
You need an antigen test within 72 hours of return but cannot use an NHS one.
You need to either find a chemist in France that will do it or get a DIY test that you then e mail the results to the supplier and they e mail back the pass.
Fine if you have decent Internet and don't do it wrong. Personally I think I will take the chemist route.

Upvote 0

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
We are finally off to France in the motorhome in a couple of weeks. According to the UK Gov website we do not need to acquire an International driving permit (IDP) from the post Office before we travel can anyone confirm this.

Additionally does anyone know what sort of Covid test is required within 72 hours of our return to the UK and can we take our own or do we have to source one in France? The UK.gov site has a link to the equivalent French website but I cannot find an English translation for this.

As an aside just arranged for the dogs travel certificate.....£250!! We did our homework and could find it cheaper at other vets however you would have to be registered with them already for them to carry it out as it takes about an hour for the vet to fill out all the paperwork. Another plus point (Not) for leaving the EU!!! But let's not go there!
Hi,
re IDP I think you need one if you still have a paper licence ie without photo
tk

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Getting your return test in France is a doddle, apart from testing centres many pharmacies do them. We just asked at a campsite reception and they gave us the number of the nearest pharmacy. Called to book (our French language skills are poor), turned up at the appointed time and the lovely pharmacist helped with the forms etc. Directed next door where a young man did the test and we got the result almost immediately including a paper and emailed certificate.
Simples, and all for the respectable cost of €25.00. Hate to say it but it shows our system in a bad light.
Oh and if you agree that's good, check out my posting about what's occuring in Holland...

Upvote 0

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Wasn't aware of that, where did you find that out ? I have paper license ☹️
Its on one of the .Gov sites related to IDPs. Icant remember the specific link but accessed it by searching IDP on internet. It listed specific country requirements and type of IDP where required. (Spains is different to France) Spain and some other s have a grace period during which its not required.
TK

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Wasn't aware of that, where did you find that out ? I have paper license ☹️
I asked the same question on another thread. Someone replied saying that you don't need an IDP even if you have a paper licence, you just need to have an accompanying proof of identity with your paper licence eg passport. Still for only a fiver I went and got one.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back