Cupboard Door Gas Strut. 80N Whats That In Simpleton Terms? (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Trying to get my head round cupboard door lifts. Whats all this 80N stuff mean in real terms?

I picked up a GTV 80N gas strut in my local Bricomarche yesterday but I can barely press the thing down so don't think the weight of my doors will hold keep it closed. Lovely slow/smooth action but id need some sort of series latch to keep it closed, more than the normal magnet catches.

So what sort of N would I need for say a door around 50x40cm and weighing around 3KG

Tried searching online but its all newtons and gobbledeguke to me.....

Thanks

Shawn

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What door is it? locker garage etc, you might find that when it closes the action of the gas strut goes over centre and need very little is any force to keep it shut.

Martin

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
You will be surprised how it stays shut once it’s on if it’s for kitchen style doors (rather than locker)

Kitchen doors in houses use anything from 80nm but I have seen them as high as 320nm with 2 per door (larger doors)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
a door around 50x40cm and weighing around 3KG

As others have said 80N = 8 kg of force. Are they the short ones (~50mm travel / ~180mm overall) ? Is it a top hinged door? If so, you'll probably find it's about right for that door.

I have them on my top hinged locker doors (made of furniture ply)

My doors for comparison (dims in mm):
580 wide x 200 deep - 1 x 60N
450 wide x 300 deep - 1 x 80N
650 wide x 380 deep - 2 x 60N (one either side - 1 x 80N wasn't strong enough).

Beware the installation instructions printed on the pack - they didn't work for me (I'm obviously misinterpreting something, but I can't figure out what!).

When the door is shut the force from the strut is directed into the hinges, and not into trying to spring the door open, so I don't think you'll need to do anything with your catches. In fact mine seem to have a slight 'over-centre' effect where the strut actually helps hold the door closed once it is close.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Thanks for all your replies, very informative.

I've brought just the one to test it at the moment as it was only a couple of euros. Photo attached to post.

It's going to be used on a top hinged 9mm ply door around 50x40cm.

Sounds like from what's been mentioned it may work so hope to have it fitted over the weekend so will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

IMG_2092.JPG

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Whether it over-centres or not is determined by the vertical alignment of the end brackets. If this is a new installation take a close look at how they're positioned by OEMs. It should not be trying to push the door open from its closed position.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When I needed a pair to help lift up the bed in my self build I took a guess and bought two but they were far too strong. I then bought two adjustable ones where you use an Allen key to let a bit of gas out at a time until they work as you want them to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back