Credit card abroad. (1 Viewer)

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Hi guys off to France in a couple of weeks and now have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. Ive never used one abroad before have a caxton card that usually gets used.
Am i right in thinking that for atm withdrawals you need to pay the money to your credit card account when it shows up to avoid charges? With purchases as long as its paid by the monthly settlement date you avoid charges just like using it in the UK.
I know its old ground for some of you seasoned travellers out there but just looking for some advice from those of you that do the same as we are thinking.
Cheers Kenny.👍

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Try to avoid withdrawing cash on it,unless you can pay it off the same day,see below,and the exchange rate will be rubbish!

image.jpeg

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I found out this last 3 mths I don’t need cash, go contactless or chip and pin.
The added advantage it makes it more difficult for the pickpockets to get their hands on your cash.
Run tabs in restaurants or bars which suits the staff as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If using a credit card [Halifax Clarity] in an ATM, that's counted as a "cash advance" and interest starts racking up immediately.
Don't wait until you get your statement to pay it off because you will be charged interest.

What I'd do if I had to use a credit card in an ATM is use online banking immediately afterwards to pay an equivalent amount to my credit card account.

Best practice:
Use Halifax Clarity for purchases
Use a zero fee Debit card for cash advances - eg Metro Bank or Starling*
Never ever let the ATM or card payment machine do the exchange conversion, always pay in Euros.

*Starling Bank can be opened all online, via the app in minutes:
I've used mine in Iceland, Australia & Greece and it's been brilliant.
https://www.starlingbank.com/open-bank-account-online/

OP
OP
dosser
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Cheers guys looks like ill use the Credit card for purchases and i have a nationwide flexplus for withdrawls.. theres cash on the caxton card from the start of the year to use as well.
Thanks all.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We travel abroad frequently, and do as Winger suggested. We have never needed to use a cash machine on our overseas travels. I don't recall using when when travelling in the UK either, for that matter.

Try to use credit card everywhere if possible, but take a few hundred € euro cash with us for buying a coffee or paying the few folk or places that don't accept credit card. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi guys off to France in a couple of weeks and now have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. Ive never used one abroad before have a caxton card that usually gets used.
Am i right in thinking that for atm withdrawals you need to pay the money to your credit card account when it shows up to avoid charges? With purchases as long as its paid by the monthly settlement date you avoid charges just like using it in the UK.
I know its old ground for some of you seasoned travellers out there but just looking for some advice from those of you that do the same as we are thinking.
Cheers Kenny.👍
You don't get any charges, apart from the interest on the money withdrawn, which in reality is pence on hundreds of pounds, but when at the machine it asks if you want it converted at their rate or in Euros, always select euros, because their rate is way above Halifax.
We have checked this lots of times and the Halifax rate is better than any cash exchange place.

OP
OP
dosser
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
We travel abroad frequently, and do as Winger suggested. We have never needed to use a cash machine on our travels.

Try to use credit card everywhere if possible, but take a few hundred € euro cash with us for buying a coffee or paying folk who don't accept credit card.
Yes it going that way with cash definetly going to be using the credit more this year and paying off before charges are incoured. Planning to go for 4/5 weeks longer than we have previously managed so will need to budget a wee bit more carefully.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We travel abroad frequently, and do as Winger suggested. We have never needed to use a cash machine on our overseas travels. I don't recall using when when travelling in the UK either, for that matter.

Try to use credit card everywhere if possible, but take a few hundred € euro cash with us for buying a coffee or paying the few folk or places that don't accept credit card. (y)
We have found using campsites in Spain over winter a lot will only accept cash this seems to have become more so the last couple of years😊

Reactions: DBK

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You don't get any charges, apart from the interest on the money withdrawn, which in reality is pence on hundreds of pounds, but when at the machine it asks if you want it converted at their rate or in Euros, always select euros, because their rate is way above Halifax.
We have checked this lots of times and the Halifax rate is better than any cash exchange place.
Correct, only card I use in France now, cost zero for everything other than cash from atms, however that's pennies.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Try to avoid withdrawing cash on it,unless you can pay it off the same day,see below,and the exchange rate will be rubbish!

View attachment 404978
Whilst I agree with the tenor of your post, may I respectfully point out that the Halifax Clarity Card (which the OP was referring to) does not charge a 'Handling Fee.' You are correct in saying that the credit card withdrawal does attract a percentage fee but if the OP checks his account two days later (or whenever, as close to the withdrawal as poss), he will attract hardly anything. From memory, the last time we were 'Over there' I got stung a whole 9p for the month.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Whilst I agree with the tenor of your post, may I respectfully point out that the Halifax Clarity Card (which the OP was referring to) does not charge a 'Handling Fee.' You are correct in saying that the credit card withdrawal does attract a percentage fee but if the OP checks his account two days later (or whenever, as close to the withdrawal as poss), he will attract hardly anything. From memory, the last time we were 'Over there' I got stung a whole 9p for the month.
Absolutely agree, amazing they keep it going, we use nothing but Tesco credit card here just for the points for the tunnel, but it is useless abroad, all sorts of charges, so we each have a Halifax credit card just for when we go to France, and contrary to what you may read, there is NO charges whatever on a Halifax card, even for hole in the wall and they pay a better conversion than others which easily makes up for the pence of interest.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have found using campsites in Spain over winter a lot will only accept cash this seems to have become more so the last couple of years😊
Agreed, there are one or two sites that don't accept card payments.

Fortunately, mostly coincidence I think, our favourite ones still do. :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be careful when using ATMs as some charge a 'handling' fee which is totally separate from your credit card provider's charges.

If you do get cash out always do it in the local currency NEVER in sterling.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
chaser you must have a very special halifax cc. mine which i have had for years is - 'no extra charges for purchases made in the local currency at whatever their exchange rate is current on the day' - but draw currency from an atm and i get charged interest from the day of transaction until i pay it. if i have to do the atm thing i now use starling but if u pay halifax on the day of the withdrawal the charge is a few pence.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
chaser you must have a very special halifax cc. mine which i have had for years is - 'no extra charges for purchases made in the local currency at whatever their exchange rate is current on the day' - but draw currency from an atm and i get charged interest from the day of transaction until i pay it. if i have to do the atm thing i now use starling but if u pay halifax on the day of the withdrawal the charge is a few pence.
Where did I say you don't pay interest?
I think I have said in a couple of places that you do pay interest, what I do said they give you a good conversion rate that it soon makes the interest pence, providing of course you pay it off on time.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
'NO charges whatever on a Halifax card, even for hole in the wall'
Except for the interest! Which I tend to consider a charge.
Apologies if I misinterpreted you.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We set up a standing order to put money onto something like the Caxton card on a weekly basis. You can then withdraw that cash from atms as you go along. No charges at all but perhaps there is because you lend them money!
Best to send small ( test) amount first say £2 or so and make sure its set up correctly. Used to take 24ish hours to appear after the transfer.
Have fun
Mike & Ann

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We set up a standing order to put money onto something like the Caxton card on a weekly basis. You can then withdraw that cash from atms as you go along. No charges at all but perhaps there is because you lend them money!
Best to send small ( test) amount first say £2 or so and make sure its set up correctly. Used to take 24ish hours to appear after the transfer.
Have fun
Mike & Ann
But don't risk the Caxton card at unmanned fuel stations, as the May take a lump sum of a hundred or so euros over and above the actual cost. However you do get it back within a month.. Caxton great everywhere else.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starling Bank Card, set to Euros .is what I use.
Did use Santander Zero however they do not complete with Starling now.
Do your own research and see what suits your needs, I use mine most weeks in Europe so fees and exchange rates are important.
Revolut also has a instant exchange rate tracker you can access at the point of use, it changed by the second. Not used it yet but will soon.
The challenger banks are here and give good service.

OP
OP
dosser
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
But don't risk the Caxton card at unmanned fuel stations, as the May take a lump sum of a hundred or so euros over and above the actual cost. However you do get it back within a month.. Caxton great everywhere else.
Haha yes been there lesrned that lesson.👍

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You also get that with the Halifax card I'm afraid , but useually it's back in in a couple of days

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We use a Barclays Platinum Credit Card. No exchange fees, no transaction fees and no bank charges when using an ATM. No interest charges on withdrawals if paid by the bill date. All the above only if payments, withdrawals etc are in foreign currency. The only extras are the charges imposed by the atm.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Starling Bank Card, set to Euros .is what I use.
Did use Santander Zero however they do not complete with Starling now.
Do your own research and see what suits your needs, I use mine most weeks in Europe so fees and exchange rates are important.
Revolut also has a instant exchange rate tracker you can access at the point of use, it changed by the second. Not used it yet but will soon.
The challenger banks are here and give good service.
Just a heads up that, not for the first time, Revolut has had some very negative reports related to hacking and the lack of the company’s response. money section of the Sunday Times. Just reporting what I have read no personal experience with them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a heads up that, not for the first time, Revolut has had some very negative reports related to hacking and the lack of the company’s response. money section of the Sunday Times. Just reporting what I have read no personal experience with them.
Do you have a link to that as I've not heard about it.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Also just to mention we have used the Halifax Clarity card for many years and find it accepted in most places - except Austria where they only want payment in cash otherwise they get taxed (funny that) the exchange rate you get when you settle the account is also much better than you can get personally. Need to settle each month though otherwise you get hit.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Starling every time. It’s covered by the FCA, is a proper debit card, you can use it at an unmanned petrol station and auto booths, you can withdraw cash from ATM’s with no charges, you can have Pound and Euro accounts on the same card, there are no charges abroad etc etc. The only thing Revolut is used for now is a better conversion rate, so put sterling into Revolut, convert to Euro’s at best rate and then immediately transfer to Starling. Once set up it takes only a couple of minutes.

As Toad says, “It’s the only way”. :gum:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the exchange rate is good I top up my Revolut card, for ordinary cash withdrawals I use Metro Bank and for CC Halifax Clarity, spot rates are the same on all of them.

As for Revolut getting hacked no different to any other bank they all get hacked occasionally. My Tesco credit card was hacked last year, my Lloyds business account was hacked a few years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back