Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
So when can I come?

personally agree with others, don't need anything but access to water and black waste point and a view, as you could but I’d plan for 2 fully serviced pitches were I you.

Simply because I think the demographic of MotorHome owners is changing and you could charge premium.

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
I have only just caught this, you are seriously overthinking it.just saying.
We think it's important to plan this venture as best as possible, build from our own extensive experience as travellers, listen to what people have to say here, evaluate the MH's that already (regularly) visit the island (we see the ferry come and go from our plot and all vehicles already pass our door) and plan as much as possible to spend the little money we have wisely. Ice pack swaps are very popular on sites we've been to where visitors may not have freezers onboard their vehicles - and it's a pretty cheap and simple facility to offer.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Rule of thumb, don't over invest.
Start small & basic.
Make improvements, and upgrades as and when you've got some money coming in.
I quite agree. Test the market with basics. The installation, compliance and maintenance and perhaps metering of EHU supplies would require a substantial investment.
You're a long way up the chilly North so visitors are likely to use a lot of electricity.

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
I cannot for a minute think they someone in a Hire MH which are generally hired for a holiday period that being 14 days max would want to go all the way to the Isle of Rousay will stay a few nights if in fact they reach it at all,it’s much more likely that the established MHomer will as they have the time to do so.
You may be surprised to know that the island already gets a reasonably good number of MH visitors - remember not all visitors originate in the south of England or beyond. Our plan is to offer overnight facilities as there is almost none available on island at the moment yet the island is rich in areas to explore but the current "day trippers" can only skim the surface of these areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Are you like tiree where the water table is vulnerable and waste must be disposed of in certain places ?

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
I quite agree. Test the market with basics. The installation, compliance and maintenance and perhaps metering of EHU supplies would require a substantial investment.
You're a long way up the chilly North so visitors are likely to use a lot of electricity.
Yes, it can be windy here but we're in a marine temperate climate so frosts and snow here are very rare and mostly short duration. Equally our summers are not the hottest but we've just had the driest and warmest summer for decades.

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
Are you like tiree where the water table is vulnerable and waste must be disposed of in certain places ?
Our water table is quite deep but it's still important and environmentally correct to ensure any waste water is sensibly disposed of.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Our plan is to offer overnight facilities as there is almost none available on island at the moment yet the island is rich in areas to explore but the current "day trippers" can only skim the surface of these areas.
Since visitors won't have to go back on the afternoon ferry (and then continue to drive) a licensed bar might prove profitable. ;)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I think you might have stumbled onto a great reason for people to stay! Many folk are really nervous of so called wilding they prefer the security of being where they know they are allowed to stay along with the simple facilities you are already aware of. In view of encouraging longer stays you might consider metering EHU. Your knowledge of the island will also go a long way in longer stays also.
l wish you every success in your endeavour and feel sure once you market your facility through a little Social Media along with a placement in Search For Sites and Camper Contact you will enjoy an income level to make it all worthwhile.

You may be surprised to know that the island already gets a reasonably good number of MH visitors - remember not all visitors originate in the south of England or beyond. Our plan is to offer overnight facilities as there is almost none available on island at the moment yet the island is rich in areas to explore but the current "day trippers" can only skim the surface of these areas.
I actually acknowledged this in my earlier post and feel sure you will succeed,visitor’s from France,Holland,Germany and afar will also visit.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Please please keep it SIMPLE and BASIC. It's becoming increasingly more difficult to find permitted parking places in attractive areas that seem to think EHU is a must to attract business. Once upon a time £5 pn was the norm, but "demand" forced up the "requirement" for things like EHU, toilet blocks etc. so now we hardly ever look at them. I'm not a cheapskate, just don't see why I should pay for something I don't need as a leisure activity. That's why the continental "aires" system works over there.

But here is my brutally honest question. Are you in it for the money or simply trying to attract more visitors to your lovely little island, (covering your costs of course)? You've got to answer this questiion for yourselves - there are so many different opinions on offer both on MHF and any other forum you care to mention that attempt to sway your opinion - yes me too.

My take? If you cannot "survive" without all the comforts of home you should really question whether visits to some of these out-of-the-way places is really in the spirit of what motorhoming is all about.

But whatever you decide I hope it is successful and you are properly supported. The Orkneys are still on our list of places to visit before we become too old and decrepit and need the facilities of a luxury care home to visit anywhere! :drinks:

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
Please please keep it SIMPLE and BASIC. It's becoming increasingly more difficult to find permitted parking places in attractive areas that seem to think EHU is a must to attract business. Once upon a time £5 pn was the norm, but "demand" forced up the "requirement" for things like EHU, toilet blocks etc. so now we hardly ever look at them. I'm not a cheapskate, just don't see why I should pay for something I don't need as a leisure activity. That's why the continental "aires" system works over there.

But here is my brutally honest question. Are you in it for the money or simply trying to attract more visitors to your lovely little island, (covering your costs of course)? You've got to answer this questiion for yourselves - there are so many different opinions on offer both on MHF and any other forum you care to mention that attempt to sway your opinion - yes me too.

My take? If you cannot "survive" without all the comforts of home you should really question whether visits to some of these out-of-the-way places is really in the spirit of what motorhoming is all about.

But whatever you decide I hope it is successful and you are properly supported. The Orkneys are still on our list of places to visit before we become too old and decrepit and need the facilities of a luxury care home to visit anywhere! :drinks:
Thank you for the detailed comment.
The island is unlikely to need, nor justify a "bells and whistles" facility. We'd just like to have a small site that will enhance visitors experience by giving them an overnight option without having to hunt down a "wilding" position, help boost local tourism, give the one restaurant, small shop and filling station a bit more business, maybe promote the island as part of a sea kayaking trail and at the same time give us a small income in the run up to retirement.
Any additional facilities will obviously bare a cost that will need to be recouped via higher per night fees, so keeping it simple suits us and the aim to have a good value overnight fee.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You will find many on here who will say they only want a tap in the corner of a field and don't need electricity. This may be fine for them, fine upstanding folk as they are, but they are most certainly not typical of the average motorhome user now, especially those coming into it for the first time in hired vans.
Totally agree. I personally would suggest water, waste disposal (both) and at least a basic toilet facility. If you believe people will stay for a few nights they can possibly do without electricity and a shower but I do think many will not be willing to go without the others. Just my opinion.
I think your spot on not everyone has Lithium and by providing Electricity it means people are more likely to visit even if its overnight to top up those expensive lithium batteries in the shorter days of the year. Water, Electricity and disposal of Grey and Black would seem to go hand in hand with the level Hard standing pitches

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think your spot on not everyone has Lithium and by providing Electricity it means people are more likely to visit even if its overnight to top up those expensive lithium batteries in the shorter days of the year. Water, Electricity and disposal of Grey and Black would seem to go hand in hand with the level Hard standing pitches

But why do batteries, of any type, even have to be charged up every day or two? Especially lithium, which are supposed to be the real answer to off-grid motorhoming.
In our first couple of years we survived very happily on a single 100w lead acid battery which would (with careful use obviously) last us up to seven days before we had to think about going for a run to recharge.

Or can you really not do without a daily dose of soaps, hairdryer and coffee percolator? Once again I'll say it - you should perhasps be seriously thinking about how you use your motorhome. Sorry if I offend some peoples views, but to me it's not, and will never be, motorhoming in it's true form.

Go book a B&B or hotel.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Ok
lots of answers given already
But you could do things in phases!
and ask the motorhomers who come
Phase 1) Fresh water tap and somewhere to empty toilet cassettes and to tip grey waste
Talk to users
then maybe
Phase 2) if the demand is there add a few electric points
So on and so forth
But the 1st essential thing for us is a friendly reception a big smile goes a long way

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
But why do batteries, of any type, even have to be charged up every day or two? Especially lithium, which are supposed to be the real answer to off-grid motorhoming.
In our first couple of years we survived very happily on a single 100w lead acid battery which would (with careful use obviously) last us up to seven days before we had to think about going for a run to recharge.

Or can you really not do without a daily dose of soaps, hairdryer and coffee percolator? Once again I'll say it - you should perhasps be seriously thinking about how you use your motorhome. Sorry if I offend some peoples views, but to me it's not, and will never be, motorhoming in it's true form.

Go book a B&B or hotel.
My need is to charge battery for compressor fridge. We don’t have tv, or coffee machine. Hairdryer occasionally, I do have long hair. We are not people who can do lots of day on the van. The van we have suits our needs. We think we can do one night off grid. Didn’t know much about compressor fridges when we got the van. Maybe we should have, but we didn’t. And I dont think it would have changed our mind about the van. As I said earlier, we have been to the Orkney’s twice, but not gone much further than Mainland. Would love to go again, but staying on islands would depend on facilities available.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Three years ago on a 3 month motorbike and tent European tour I managed quite happily with just a Poundshop torch and a Campingaz single burner and only ate out three times.

2008 Alternative Cornwall..jpg

Last edited:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
I forgot to say
we use a wonderful camp site not telling anyone where it is
Very basic facilities but they have an honesty shop
offering Milk / Bread / drinks for kids / pooh bags / toilet rolls
and things the users have shown an interest in
They don' have to staff it and they say it works really well
just a lean to or shed or box to place things in

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Sounds great, even with just hard standing. To be frank, though, I can't really see that there would enough demand to justify you providing any facilities. I've just run up Google Earth and it's showing about 13 miles on the track around the island, so a day's walk, if you don't stop too much. Are there paths on the coast anywhere? What's the walking like? Is the weather Ok in October?

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Just spent 3 weeks, in orkney and shetland, 12 ferries down ( had to reverse on to 1). Been to hoy, westray, sanday and mainland. Great place, all I would ask for is quiet, nice views, organic black waste disposal water and a friendly welcome. A bike or 2 to borrow and info on the island. Good luck

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Sounds great, even with just hard standing. To be frank, though, I can't really see that there would enough demand to justify you providing any facilities. I've just run up Google Earth and it's showing about 13 miles on the track around the island, so a day's walk, if you don't stop too much. Are there paths on the coast anywhere? What's the walking like? Is the weather Ok in October?
Depends what weather you like, I guess.

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
The demand is here if we want to allow daytrippers the chance to stay longer. Yes the road is an very scenic 13 mile round trip and could just about be completed in a day if you did nothing other than walk on the road - but you'd still need to stay a night as the first ferry over arrives at 08:55 and the last one off island is 17:30.
There's a huge variety of Norse/Viking related archaeology, RSPB reserves, beaches suitable for swimming or Stand Up Paddleboarding, sea kayaking, fishing etc. and we're part of a three island group (along with Egilsay and Wyre) so there's exploring there too.
Then there's the "Dark skies" that come from almost zero light pollution and how easy and frequently it is we see the Aurora during the autumn, winter and spring.
I've attached a few photos to show you the variety of beach and landscapes here and the clarity of the water.

Attachments

• 20210701_124808.jpg
    20210701_124808.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 20210713_195505.jpg
    20210713_195505.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 20210725_141432.jpg
    20210725_141432.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210725_141545.jpg
    20210725_141545.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210725_195106.jpg
    20210725_195106.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 38

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Go book a B&B or hotel.
I never said batteries have to be topped up every day or so, I suspect in the darker months-shorter days even expensive lithium will benefit from electric hook up, our coffee is from an old fashioned gas espresso. My wife dries her hair in a verity of ways and has done ever since I have known her and not dependant on a hair dryer. No one is forced to use an electric hook up.

if your running a business you cater for a broad range needs wants and desires. If a campsite does not add electric then it’s a smaller customer base.

Regarding your choice of how you use your Motorhome possibly with limited devices limited power that’s your choice but please do not tell others how they should use theirs.

If people wish to keep themselves clean using a nice soaps🧼 🧽 use hairdryers have onboard washing machines and full on facilities for making a verity of posh coffees it’s no ones business except them and would suggest they are true uptodate Motorhome owners making full use of modern onboard facilities. 😎

it’s a choice of how you use your accommodation not for me to judge

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My thoughts are that by the time I would get to you my hab batteries would be fully charged, I’ve got 300watts of solar but up there the sun may be too low in the sky except in high summer to help much.
A battery charging system might be helpful but not essential.
Campervans might need a toilet but this could be ultra simple as in a loo in a small shed connected up to water and septic tank, black waste could be attached to the outside also a tap.
Keep the fresh water tap well away from the black waste flush one 🤮🤮

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back