Cornwall is where? (1 Viewer)

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
We crossed the Confederation Bridge, a 12.9 km structure, to Prince Edward Island in the Maritime provinces of eastern Canada. Driving around PEI we came across this town with a familiar name. We just had to stop and ask if they had clotted cream or Cornish pasties, but were met with blank stares, the 'deer in the headlights' look.

I get my Cornish Pasties from Nevada City, where our daughter lives, in the Sierra foothills. During the '49 gold rush, lots of Cornish tin miners landed in Nevada City to work the gold mines. The Cornish pastie recipe came across the Atlantic.

Attachments

• Confederation bridge.jpg
    Confederation bridge.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Cornwall-PEI.jpg
    Cornwall-PEI.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 68

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
I suppose it's fair.

I regularly drive through Pennsylvania, north of Bath on the A46 :Smile:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
And don't forget Hollywood...........just outside Birmingham :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Clotted cream and Cornish pasties in Bath or Oxford :whatthe:

Travel the eastern U.S. and you'll see lots of familiar names of towns, presumably brought over with folks from the old country. Seeing a town named Cornwall on PEI somehow got my attention, but the local storekeepers didn't seem to know about Cornwall in the UK.

I find it interesting to hear how some of the names are pronounced, especially the Welsh names.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Seeing a town named Cornwall on PEI somehow got my attention, but the local storekeepers didn't seem to know about Cornwall in the UK.

I find it interesting to hear how some of the names are pronounced, especially the Welsh names.

You'd be amazed (or probably won't :roflmto: ) how many times I have spoken to Americans who don't even know where England is...... "What State is that in?" is a common response :ROFLMAO: Many seem to think that the world ends where the East & West coastlines meet the oceans :ROFLMAO:

I was in a bank in Carlsbad a while ago, wading through the mountain of forms to open a bank account. When it came to the address details, I gave our County of residence as Gloucestershire ...... the clerk pondered long and hard with a look of amazement on her face "Glow-ches-ter-shyre ? " she said ...... "well, its actually pronounced Glos-ter-sheer" I replied. Several minutes followed as she tried to get her head round the fact that its not spoken as spelled.......in the end we settled for "Glos". :ROFLMAO:

We don't do pasties as good as Cornwall do, but the cheese is very nice :roflmto:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Doesn't surprise me one bit Linda and I have those discussion regularly. Just yesterday I got into a debate when someone pronounced the New York Giants, winners of this year's Super Bowl, "World champions". I couldn't for the life of me fathom how anyone can call them world champions when no other country is involved in the competition.

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective, and I was reminded of a discussion I had years ago with a plant manager (an ex-pat from California) when I visited him on a small Malaysian island. He explained that, before they sent 100 locals to the U.S. for training, they'd sat them all down and asked if they'd been off the island before. Most had no idea they were on an island; The furthest they'd been was on the company bus between the village and the factory.

I recall that, down in the valleys, we used to think that anything north of Newport was London ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
How did we know about London? Well, this milestone told us about it.

Attachments

• milestone.jpg
    milestone.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Talking about perspective....

We were back in the UK attending a wake at the local pub after a funeral. Someone asked my youngest son, who lives in Kentucky, and I if we lived close to each other. My son and I looked at each other, smiled, and replied "yes, only about 2,700 miles apart".

A

animal

Deleted User
:Cool: I could send you some PROPER Pasties :Cool:
We get that here, go to an air-cooled event in Northamptonshire & some one says
I got a mate in Cornwall, do you know him, he lives in St.Austal, that's close to St.Ives???
duh

Last edited by a moderator:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:Cool: I could send you some PROPER Pasties :Cool:
We get that here, go to an air-cooled event in Northamptonshire & some one says
I got a mate in Cornwall, do you know him, he lives in St.Austal, that's close to St.Ives???
duh

Send me a crate of Pasties will you?

Feeling a bit peckish now. All this talk of food.!Link Removed

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
While working at one company, our Scottish CEO was told by the marketing folks that he should become a U.S. citizen. They reasoned that, since we did so much "top secret" business with the Feds, it didn't look good having a foreign national as CEO.

So, he read the book and went off for his final interview with the INS. This can be quite a long process to get to this stage. In the interview, they ask you questions about U.S. history as well as local, state and federal government. While waiting for his interview, there was an Oriental guy in the waiting room repeating over and over "Wash-ing-ton, Wash-ing-ton ...". Presumably, he didn't want to forget the answer to a question that every INS examiner asks ::bigsmile:

Reminds me .... if your U.S. travel by RV includes entering California, be sure you practice saying "Arnold Swartzenwhatsit", or they may not let you in.

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
.... being as we invented America ...

You obviously weren't paying attention in history class; Someone else got there first :winky:

A

animal

Deleted User
:Cool: SO!! When's the next CampOut in Cornwall then??? :Cool:
I'll get that create ordered or make some myself :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
While working at one company, our Scottish CEO was told by the marketing folks that he should become a U.S. citizen. They reasoned that, since we did so much "top secret" business with the Feds, it didn't look good having a foreign national as CEO.

So, he read the book and went off for his final interview with the INS. This can be quite a long process to get to this stage. In the interview, they ask you questions about U.S. history as well as local, state and federal government. While waiting for his interview, there was an Oriental guy in the waiting room repeating over and over "Wash-ing-ton, Wash-ing-ton ...". Presumably, he didn't want to forget the answer to a question that every INS examiner asks ::bigsmile:

Reminds me .... if your U.S. travel by RV includes entering California, be sure you practice saying "Arnold Swartzenwhatsit", or they may not let you in.

Is someone taking my name in Vain?........ Now where's my Paaaaaasstyyyyy.

arnoldrnc6.jpeg
images

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
LOL Steve, didn't know that Arnold ate pasties.

When we first introduced some American friends to pasties, they looked at the spelling and insisted on calling them paystees.

I offered to share my laverbred with them, but fortunately they declined.

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
You may have Yale College in the USA - but we had it first here in Wrexham North Wales :thumb:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Is it called Yales?

Nah, just kidding. Not a very Welsh name though, is it? Looked up Link Removed on Google, and now understand why. Another one of those translations for the benefit of the folks on the other side of the border.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back