Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
I’m signed up for a newsletter called Cool Tools it started years ago posting about “one tool you didn’t know about every day”.
I thought MHF might have some great insights here.

By way of a start, we love our breakfast knives (also known as picnic knives). They’re like sharp butter knives so you can cut bread and meat but also spread cheese and butter. They’re all you need for picnics, breakfast and most bbq meals. These are made by Opinel (who generally make great knives) we chose them because orange 🍊. They have a serrated cutting edge which has lasted without sharpening for at least six years. We also have some Kuhn Rinkon equivalents that are just as good.

DF9556B6-16EA-41F5-B27D-53AA24A948D2.jpeg

They’re expensive on Amazon :-( we bought in France for less.

So, what’s your cool tool for a MotorHome that others probably don’t know about? Some rules: let’s not criticise each others favourite tools (no cadac vs cobb wars please :-)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
No photo, and not sure you can call it a tool. But we have two bags for French sticks/baguettes. Keeps them safe, nice and easy to store, collect all the crumbs.
And they were free.
Simple item, does the job well.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Shame thread went off topic so quickly - might have been a goldmine for gadgets you never knew you needed.
Guilty as charged. :(

Hopefully people will continue post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
New to Motorhome, experienced caravanner 😊
I’m signed up for a newsletter called Cool Tools it started years ago posting about “one tool you didn’t know about every day”.
I thought MHF might have some great insights here.

By way of a start, we love our breakfast knives (also known as picnic knives). They’re like sharp butter knives so you can cut bread and meat but also spread cheese and butter. They’re all you need for picnics, breakfast and most bbq meals. These are made by Opinel (who generally make great knives) we chose them because orange 🍊. They have a serrated cutting edge which has lasted without sharpening for at least six years. We also have some Kuhn Rinkon equivalents that are just as good.

View attachment 711540

They’re expensive on Amazon :-( we bought in France for less.

So, what’s your cool tool for a MotorHome that others probably don’t know about? Some rules: let’s not criticise each others favourite tools (no cadac vs cobb wars please :)
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ve just ordered one! A great addition and suggestion 👏🏻

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
This is my cool tool

excellent tool for prying timber apart, like skirting and architrave.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I've just used my cheap endoscope to check a PCB without taking it out. Found the defect and booked in with dealer. Also great for checking DIP switches which are out of sight on the B2B and solar controllers.

dna

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Do my laptop and internet connection count? Gives access to help in emergency conditions and provides entertainment when its as dark and cold as today

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
A Leatherman is my go to gadget for travel, current one is a Leatherman Wave.............they should last a lifetime but I keep forgetting them in my backpack, have lost 3 at different airports now, keep promising to leave one in the MH but ..........

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
A Leatherman is my go to gadget for travel, current one is a Leatherman Wave.............they should last a lifetime but I keep forgetting them in my backpack, have lost 3 at different airports now, keep promising to leave one in the MH but ..........
My son gave me a Leatherman Charge+ TTI, with Titanium handles. I love it, but always worry about losing it - it cost over £200. :oops:

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
I find the Gerber multi tool range as a reasonable cost effective alternative to Leatherman. Not trying to say they are as good, but meet my MH needs 👍

OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Landy Andy that bag is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for but, I want to know how to get one :) Lenny HB ditto!

dna i think the internet is certainly useful and cool but maybe not unique to your van

Tigger-Tim you seriously carry an endoscope? How big is it?

csd4t agree and I carry and Wera 1/4” set - I remember it cost a lot but I had a job
back then :-|

BusyBuilder very cool but… in the van? Do you wild camp a lot? :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jane And Rog

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Spriddler more details please. That looks awesome. Although I have no idea if anny vehicle I own even has spark plugs… I’m guessing not.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Spriddler more details please. That looks awesome. Although I have no idea if anny vehicle I own even has spark plugs… I’m guessing not.
I can't tell you much more, but for interest it came with a complete dealer's set of 1950's Villiers special tools that I found when doing a total clearance of an old m/bike dealer (pre 1957 bikes and spares) shop that had been closed for around 30 years.
(I sold them to the Villiers company for their 'museum' as they'd never been able to get a set).

2016-10-29 Special tools 004.JPG

2016-10-29 Special tools 013.JPG

And the list of tools was written on the back of this...........

2016-10-29 Special tools 009.JPG
2016-10-29 Special tools 011.JPG

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I had this problem with my Wave in Luton airport whilst commuting to work. I was challenged at security with a few options so I did an about turn and went to the gents toilet, stood on the bowl and lifted a tile off the suspended ceiling and left it there. Come Monday morning I reversed the process and I still have it.
My main worry was in the meantime a drug dealer with a similar idea had secreted some of his stash and the cops with a stake out in it 😂😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back