Coach-built or conversion? (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Buying soon
Exp
Hi all, advice please. We are buying in the next few months. We are looking for a rear lounge with front dinette and 4 seatbelts. We have found both but are indecisive at the moment. Mainly for two of us but may need to carry pax on occasions. Must be under 3500 and 6.0m. Coach built or conversion? Pro and con ? Thank you.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I cant advise on whats best
Personally a PVC fan but that's just what meets our particular needs
Have a look at Jim's buying guides if you haven't already
Find something mechanically sound and damp free and you are ablue to work around anything else

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Had real lounge so I would say be careful of how bed is made up if there is not an alternative bed (drop down). Can’t beat a proper mattress, drop down is brilliant and space saving

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You're gonna struggle to get what you want in a 6m long vehicle, you might be able to get one with a reawr lounge that has a table that goes between the cab seats to form a sort of mini dinette but you won't then have a dinette for others to sit in whilst you travel.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I always think I would like a PVC then I look inside them and realise that there's no way we could live with one. Coach built every time for us. Even 6m coach-built s seems miles bigger.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have looked PVC's and while we like them very much there is without doubt more space in the same length coach built.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2015
It really does come down to how much space you’re happy with. A coach build will be wider, so more space in that direction. Also, coach builds have a small access door so are able to utilise the space more efficiently.
We have an Adria PVC and love it, preferring the more solid build and the ability to have the large sliding door open in good weather, it feels more ‘connected’ to the outdoors. What you lose in width you gain in manoeuvrability and access to narrower roads. Our van is 6mt, we came from a VW T5 LWB so the Adria seems huge in comparison, it has everything we need but not too much.

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Its possible to get a small rear lounge with small front dinette but the rear lounge will make up into a transverse bed rather than longitundal.

Many times I've seen it said here to buy your van/motorhome based on what you want/need rather than for the extra passengers who "may" occasionally be in it, otherwise you could find you've spent a big chunk of money buying something suitable for people who will rarely be in it and limiting your own enjoyment because of it.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
I agree with Mark and Mindy, we took quite a while researching, for a van with interior seatbelts, loved quite a few...but not enough seatbelts, everything we thought we did not want...in the end bought a coachbuilt, with ..yes...everything we thought we did not want, we have over cab bed ( grandkids domain - or when just us, great storage) dinette becomes double..for adults,...then long seating bench, pulled out for a great single bed, or extend the double to make massive bed, suits us for our needs, take your time, as can easily be an expensive mistake, you will know it...when you see it..good luck

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Whether its a coachbuilt or PVC ( still polyvinyl chloride in my mind)
What you are looking for is good design based around the compromises you are willing to make.
For example you want/ need 4 seatbelts max 6m long
Minimum 2 sleeping berths twin or double
Do you need to get to the toilet quick ie will some one cooking get in the way.
Dont get fixated about a rear lounge front dinnete
Clever design can skin that cat in different ways.
What compromises to make
On our shortlist were 2 french vans one had an Olympic sized swimming pool for a toilet shower but unable to do beans and toast and tea at same time tother one a proper kitchen oven grill 3 rings extract fan but forget the jacuzzi. (big enough to do the job)
Look at Rapido 604 to see what can be done in 6m

If you got 3/4 belts for grand kids a 2 berth is ok stick them in a tent for the amount of time thell be with you

Upvote 0

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
61A13615-5319-40A4-8B80-05193F621AA8.jpeg

Picture of the van I will be picking up in the new year, Its a no brainer for me as I (controversially for a MH site) don't like coach build or a class,

Attachments

• 48AB7C8F-B69C-4874-A7F0-39794400BFE1.jpeg
    48AB7C8F-B69C-4874-A7F0-39794400BFE1.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
I will add, there will only be two of us but the rear lounge will almost certainly be permanently made up as a bed
so why not a 6m van with front dinette that has a proper bed in the rear...Adria Twin 600SP, Malibu 600DB etc?
if its always going to be a bed, why not a nice comfy one designed to be one rather than designed to be a lounge?...also get a good garage under.
yes, price against the Expedition will be different but a one yr old one?
will also be far higher specced than the Expedition which is designed to be an entry level van.
just a thought..... :cool:

Upvote 0

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
so why not a 6m van with front dinette that has a proper bed in the rear...Adria Twin 600SP, Malibu 600DB etc?
if its always going to be a bed, why not a nice comfy one designed to be one rather than designed to be a lounge?...also get a good garage under.
yes, price against the Expedition will be different but a one yr old one?
will also be far higher specced than the Expedition which is designed to be an entry level van.
just a thought..... :cool:
Because I have the option of the lounge if needed, I don’t like painted bumpers so the black van is ideal and finally, brand new van!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back