Cl site near a Canal recommendations (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Hi , looking for a CL site preferably a short walk from a canal.
Central england area ( i know thats a big area 😀)
Anyone got any recommendations?
Thanks, Daz and Andrea

Jun 25, 2019
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
rollerteam pegaso. A
Exp
a newby
Is that close enough haha. New Mills marina CL.
A9B4104C-AFDD-4009-94F6-8A9DCBB0E597.jpeg

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
If you are with Britstops there is a good one at Newbold on Avon Rugby

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Excellent suggestions, just had a chat with the missus and she wants leccy .
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Avonbank Meadows CL Pershore, Wonderful site, very Quiete, EHU, water & black disposal, right on the banks of The River Avon. Easy walk into Pershore along the canal bank for shopping, pubs & Restaurants. Fishing is allowed, so is kayak Launching.
Lovely owners, we normally attend 2 Fun Rallies a year using the rally filed, its a sold out event in less than an hour!
Good Luck, you will be back, its so good.
LES

kevingarner

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Gayton Marina (a CAMC CL) has electric. It’s a bit expensive for a CL at £22/ night but does have toilets and a decent shower. Easy walk along the canal to Blisworth or Stoke Bruene. We’ve stayed a couple of times.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
The Anchor Inn near Stafford. Very much in the country side. But with an old fashioned pub and beer garden right by the canal. (doesnt do food) The pub is quite busy at weekends but quiet during the week. But not noisy in the evening at weekends.
Walks along the tow path, and there were boats back and forth while we were there early July.
There are actually two parts. There is a grass CL which is on a slight slope, but by not parking right up to the hedge we were absolutely level.
At the back of the pub there is a private site with hard standings. We actually booked that because we were a bit wary of grass, but when we got there she recommended the grass site and it was fine. And actually some of the hard standings are not flat.
Both parts have ecu.
We were there for three nights, just to chill out. We had originally thought we would take the van off site one day, but we didnt. But it was pretty warm!
If it wasnt such a horrible journey across country from here we would go on a regular basis.

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
The Anchor Inn near Stafford. Very much in the country side. But with an old fashioned pub and beer garden right by the canal. (doesnt do food) The pub is quite busy at weekends but quiet during the week. But not noisy in the evening at weekends.
Walks along the tow path, and there were boats back and forth while we were there early July.
There are actually two parts. There is a grass CL which is on a slight slope, but by not parking right up to the hedge we were absolutely level.
At the back of the pub there is a private site with hard standings. We actually booked that because we were a bit wary of grass, but when we got there she recommended the grass site and it was fine. And actually some of the hard standings are not flat.
Both parts have ecu.
We were there for three nights, just to chill out. We had originally thought we would take the van off site one day, but we didnt. But it was pretty warm!
If it wasnt such a horrible journey across country from here we would go on a regular basis.
Funnily enough we have been past that pub on the boat several times but has never been open..
This might be the one , thanks.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Very interested to see any sites like these. I love canal walks, locks, narrowboats etc.
We stayed at CAMC CL Braunston Marina, Leicestershire many years ago and enjoyed both site and canal features.

Geoff

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks rod but needs to be near a canal.
Cheers
The Montgomery canal runs adjacent but unfortunately this section is yet to be fully restored for navigation although it does have water in it.

Maybe the new Prince of Wales will pour some more money into the project, I believe that King Charles did just that some years ago. Navigation from Lower Frankton junction with the Llangollen canal to just outside Newtown, mid Wales would be a tremendous boost to tourism in that area.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Try Overwater Marina on the Shropshire union Canal just outside Audlem. Town is wonderful for a visit from the canal . The pub is the Shroppie fly serving good food and a great pint or cider. Situated between the flight of locks at Audlem
The site has a CL and a private section all with EHU and facilities. Well worth a visit.

Kev and Carolyn

Oct 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Casthorpe House Farm CL near Grantham very close to canal and a mile walk to dirty duck pub on a lock

OP
OP
dazandandrea
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Thanks so far for all the recommendations.
Trying to choose one now. Easier said than done.
What has surprised me is the number of new Marinas that have spung up in the last 10 years or so.
Thanks.

May 7, 2017
Ripon
Funster No
MH
LeisureDrive Vivante
Exp
Hi , looking for a CL site preferably a short walk from a canal.
Central england area ( i know thats a big area 😀)
Anyone got any recommendations?
Thanks, Daz and Andrea
I like New Mills it is a place to use to explore the neighbouring places regular bus to Buxton etc. Good showers!!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
motorhoming 1979 ---- 2024
Hi dazandandrea ,
Just a thought , are you a member of the c&CC as they a couple of nice THS's that we attended this year at the beehive field Bradford on Avon & at the Brass knocker basin both right near the Thames and Kennet canal both very reasonably priced but no ehu level fields .the Brass knocker basin is about a 200 yards from the Dundas aquaduct

Apr 3, 2022
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
8 years
I've just spent 4 days at the
Devizes Camping and Caravanning Club Site,
Spout Lane,
Nr Seend,
Melksham,
Wilteshire
SN12 6RN
This is a CCC site as a senior member it cost £22 a night with EHU. pleasant site, good facilities and it's alongside the Kennet and Avon canal. I cycle and enjoyed the tow path rides to Devizes and Bradford. A chance to see Caen locks, a wonderful feat of Georgian engineering with ( I think ) 19 locks "staircase" in its steepest section.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Casthorpe House Farm CL near Grantham very close to canal and a mile walk to dirty duck pub on a lock
But of course the only boats are the trip or work boats as this section doesn’t join up with other navigable bits.
There is also a camp site at the dirty duck run by the Belvoir ( pronounced beaver) Estate. Don’t know anything about it.

Apr 11, 2021
Forest of Dean, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
2 years
Kings Orchard Marina near Litchfield.
Tutor caravan park right next to the gloucester sharpness canal Slimbridge is just up the road from the site good pub on site that does good food and takeaway and th Black shed opposite does cracking food

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back