Cite Europe or Aire etiquette (1 Viewer)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Another thing to consider is that Johnny Foreigner has a far smaller aversion to proximity. I dread to think of the number of children I have crippled in foreign queues when I have accidentally stepped back when they have bumped into me for the third time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
what have people got against being close up, you are only there to sleep , or go off exploreing, you would think they would be grateful to have somewhere to park for free, go into the town car parks and see how much room you have got.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Six foot sounds reasonable, as others have said, leave much more and someone will try and shoehorn into the gap.
I've given up wondering how or why folk choose their spot - one man's logic is another's stupidity, ce la vie...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Another thing to consider is that Johnny Foreigner has a far smaller aversion to proximity. I dread to think of the number of children I have crippled in foreign queues when I have accidentally stepped back when they have bumped into me for the third time.

Curious that those who have so much more space to live in should want to huddle together. Yet we ought to be more used to it, living on this over-crowded island.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I do understand the parking close thing, it has the benefit of the feeling of increased security and of leaving more space for other vans. There are occasions when it feels uncomfortable, but I try to not let it bother me. It does however cause a fire risk, which is the reason why insurance companies insist on large gaps between vehicles on UK campsites. We have parked on aires where we were all so close, it did occur to me that should one van ignite, it would be a major conflagration. This happened at a local dealers on their storage area, with huge losses but no injuries, since of course unlike on aires there were no occupants inside.

Once we were parked in the trees on a very pleasant aires, and a young couple in German van pulled right across our only exit, with their lounge window across the bows of our van, looking right into our front window. Their van did move, but mostly up and down.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not English... not sure of origin as we moved away :D

This particular Aire had no line markings and was just a massive tarmaced area right by the harbour mouth. When I say they parked close they were no more than about 6ft from us. Too darned close for comfort!
Obviously not French, they wouldn't dream of parking more than 2 foot from you.:ROFLMAO:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I fully accept its up to the individual to decide where to park. We never stay on crowded aires as we don't like being close to others. Its when there is plenty of room and a choice to park either with the crowd or away from them - that's when I think its odd to park next to a vehicle 'who wants to be alone'...

Anyway, the beauty of motorhoming is that we can always move!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I fully accept its up to the individual to decide where to park. We never stay on crowded aires as we don't like being close to others. Its when there is plenty of room and a choice to park either with the crowd or away from them - that's when I think its odd to park next to a vehicle 'who wants to be alone'...

Anyway, the beauty of motorhoming is that we can always move!
never seen a van with a sign saying we want to be alone(n);):)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don’t understand why people park so close. We were on an Aire the size of 4 football pitches. We parked right away from the crowd only to have a MH pull right up close... then another pulled into the gap between our two vehicles. There was so much available space there was absolutely no need to park so close. We moved on.

Are they doing this because they feel safer herded together?
Think about it. If you want to get the maximum number of vehicles in a car park, it's best if each vehicle parks say 1 metre from the next, rather than randomly parking then filling in the gaps. It's quite a common thing in large crowded company car parks, in Germany at least.

I think that's what some are thinking when they park next to you. I'm not saying it's appropriate, just that it's understandable.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Think about it. If you want to get the maximum number of vehicles in a car park, it's best if each vehicle parks say 1 metre from the next, rather than randomly parking then filling in the gaps. It's quite a common thing in large crowded company car parks, in Germany at least.

I think that's what some are thinking when they park next to you. I'm not saying it's appropriate, just that it's understandable.

Yes, I know what you mean but the thing was that this was late September and the Aire I'm describing was literally about 4 football pitches in size - unmarked. We were hundreds of metres away from the cluster of other vans. There was absolutely no chance of it becoming full - had there been we wouldn't have parked up. I can only assume it was for safety - though I can't think why as it was a non-threatening area.

We also had a night where we parallel parked behind another van, leaving them enough space to pull back and out if they left before us. When we woke we found a car parked longways in the space! There were about six empty parallel parking spaces behind us... bonkers!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, I know what you mean but the thing was that this was late September and the Aire I'm describing was literally about 4 football pitches in size - unmarked. We were hundreds of metres away from the cluster of other vans. There was absolutely no chance of it becoming full - had there been we wouldn't have parked up. I can only assume it was for safety - though I can't think why as it was a non-threatening area.

We also had a night where we parallel parked behind another van, leaving them enough space to pull back and out if they left before us. When we woke we found a car parked longways in the space! There were about six empty parallel parking spaces behind us... bonkers!
perhaps they were visiting the other van

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Aren't we Johnny Foreigner when in France?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back