Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
As in a post by @Gromett I bought a cheap Chinese heater, tested it in the workshop all fine but it was bought for the MH so here are a few pic's of the install, The original plan was to fit it under the seat but some Plus & minus points changed my mind,
Plus points
closer to the diesel tank
closer to the leisure battery's
shorter hot air ducting
Minus Points
farther inboard = long exhaust
noise.

An outside locker lent itself to where the heater could live, it backs on to a cupboard inside which has a 5" gap under it, good for routing the hot air duct's under, access a little tricky but with a bit of thought where the outlet hole's were drilled & the return air hole went I could get my hand's in to connect it all together. I slide alloy ducting over the black tube to help insulate it,
Its work in progress not finished, some stuff is temporarily fitted OK
DSCN1667.JPG
DSCN1668.JPG
DSCN1669.JPG
DSCN1670.JPG
DSCN1671.JPG
DSCN1673.JPG
DSCN1674.JPG
DSCN1675.JPG

Ps I bought another for the workshop :p

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Looks ok to me, but then I am hammer and a 4inch nail man. Haha. Be good to know how it goes with use over a period.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
As in a post by @Gromett I bought a cheap Chinese heater, tested it in the workshop all fine but it was bought for the MH so here are a few pic's of the install, The original plan was to fit it under the seat but some Plus & minus points changed my mind,
Plus points
closer to the diesel tank
closer to the leisure battery's
shorter hot air ducting
Minus Points
farther inboard = long exhaust
noise.

An outside locker lent itself to where the heater could live, it backs on to a cupboard inside which has a 5" gap under it, good for routing the hot air duct's under, access a little tricky but with a bit of thought where the outlet hole's were drilled & the return air hole went I could get my hand's in to connect it all together. I slide alloy ducting over the black tube to help insulate it,
Its work in progress not finished, some stuff is temporarily fitted OK
View attachment 289581 View attachment 289582 View attachment 289583 View attachment 289584 View attachment 289585 View attachment 289587 View attachment 289588 View attachment 289589
Ps I bought another for the workshop :p

Very neat installation, just one concern the diesel fuel inlet looks to be very close to the Exhaust outlet with what appears to have no heat protection, a bit of firesleeve over the the rubber and plastic pipe would be my preferred option,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Being a confirmed Eberspacher user and DIY installer I am interested in a few points.

How is this heater controlled / regulated? Does it rely on the temperature of the in-going air to monitor your habitation area temperature or is there an external thermostat?
In either instance does the in-going air for your installation just rely on the 'fit' of the cupboard (or lack of it) to bring air in from the habitation area? i.e. no piped in-going air duct.

Why do you say about a long exhaust as the exhaust does not need to reach the side of the vehicle it can end under the chassis provided that it faces the right direction?

How long is the wiring loom between heater and controller / modulator?

Did you fit silencers to the combustion air feed and exhaust (either or both)?

Was the metal hot air tube supplied and/or did you use that in preference to the reinforced paper type?

If you have experience of Eberspacher or Webasto diesel air heaters does this type seem noisier that those? Likewise noise from the fuel pump?

All in all was it significantly less expensive that the main stream types?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Re the above post, the pipe that is near the fuel in-put is the cold in-going combustion air pipe I think.

Rod

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Very neat installation, just one concern the diesel fuel inlet looks to be very close to the Exhaust outlet with what appears to have no heat protection, a bit of firesleeve over the the rubber and plastic pipe would be my preferred option,
The fuel feed pipe has not been cut to length or secured it's just pushed on to stop dirt getting in.
The exhaust & inlet still have to be fitted, its run with them fitted as the instructions for several week's in the workshop all fine, as did our Eberspacher in our race van for about 7 years which this is a copy of the Eberspacher.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Being a confirmed Eberspacher user and DIY installer I am interested in a few points.

How is this heater controlled / regulated? Does it rely on the temperature of the in-going air to monitor your habitation area temperature or is there an external thermostat?
In either instance does the in-going air for your installation just rely on the 'fit' of the cupboard (or lack of it) to bring air in from the habitation area? i.e. no piped in-going air duct.

Why do you say about a long exhaust as the exhaust does not need to reach the side of the vehicle it can end under the chassis provided that it faces the right direction?

How long is the wiring loom between heater and controller / modulator?

Did you fit silencers to the combustion air feed and exhaust (either or both)?

Was the metal hot air tube supplied and/or did you use that in preference to the reinforced paper type?

If you have experience of Eberspacher or Webasto diesel air heaters does this type seem noisier that those? Likewise noise from the fuel pump?

All in all was it significantly less expensive that the main stream types?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Re the above post, the pipe that is near the fuel in-put is the cold in-going combustion air pipe I think.

Rod

The first 3 pic's show the return air flow vent.

Allegedly there is a temp sensor in the control unit.

The loom is quite long but I had to extend the pump wire's

As for exhaust I want it to go to the side of the MH (I've always fitted them that way (Eberspacher) )

Exhaust & inlet will have silencers fitted, I've made a absorption silencer for the exhaust but not got around the the induction yet.

I fitted the alloy tube over the supplied tube for insulation

Noise wise it about the same

This unit is an alloy casing one, more expensive but still only £158.00 against best part of a grand.

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Having seen quite a few cheap Chinese electrical items I would be very cautious about installing anything that was out of sight.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Most all electrical items have Chinese components these days.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Did you tap in to the fuel line or have a separate tank ?
The sprinter 316 CDi has a auxiliary Eberspacher water heater to heat the engine from cold in extreme cold, its not used so used that supply, But on our 310D sprinter I put in a T piece, never had a problem, it would run on the move as well.

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Most all electrical items have Chinese components these days.

It’s not generally the components that are the problem. It’s the often complete lack of proper safety precautions in the design.

Check out Big Clive on Youtube for many examples:

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
It’s not generally the components that are the problem. It’s the often complete lack of proper safety precautions in the design.

Check out Big Clive on Youtube for many examples:

That look's like a Christmas gift for the Outlaw's :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back