Cheyenne 2007 roof light (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi,
Just got a shock this morning. Went to get in my car at 5.30 am and tripped over something under my back wheel. Turns out it's part of a shattered roof light off the MH.

As it was dark and blowing a hooley, I did my best with a tarpaulin and several bricks to cover the hole then went to work.

I've just been up on the roof and inspected the damage. There's bits of roof light still attached to the hinges and the lifting arms but it's terminal I think.

Does anyone know who makes these? I don't think it's dometic /heki, it might be a remis.

It's quite a large roof light, what is the best way to measure for a replacement? Is it the external dimensions of the hole?

Lastly, does anyone know of a good company that can sort it out for me? I'm in South Devon but can travel a reasonable distance.

I've been looking at prices and it's quite shocking, between £500 and £900 depending on the make and size.

Bloody weather!

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
I've retrieved some bits and the largest dimensions are approx 1080x770
Im guessing I need to be measuring the channel where the seal is made though.
DSC_2396.JPG

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Ring Autotrail, give them your build number and they will give you the details and a quote. always found them to be obliging

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Just got a reply from auto trail.
Apparently its a Remitop Vario Rooflight 900 x 600
Lots of money but considering the crank was probably knackered leaving room for the wind to get under it, I think I'll have to fit a whole system.

Aeron

Free Member
Oct 22, 2019
Morriston, Swansea
Funster No
MH
Cheyenne 630
Exp
3 months
I had mine replaced last year (September) at a cost of £862 fully fitted. Parts price is shown as 581 and the rest was labour. It was a main dealer that did the work so probably not the cheapest but I thought it important to get it done properly.

Like yours, the old one wasn't locking properly and temporary fixes just didn't last and it ended up not locking at all so very susceptible to wind catching it. Original was a Vario 1 and now these are replaced with Vario 2 with slightly better design on the lifting and locking mechanism. I did ask about changing it for HEKI make but was told the hole is different and would be a lot more work with a poor fit internally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
I had mine replaced last year (September) at a cost of £862 fully fitted. Parts price is shown as 581 and the rest was labour. It was a main dealer that did the work so probably not the cheapest but I thought it important to get it done properly.

Like yours, the old one wasn't locking properly and temporary fixes just didn't last and it ended up not locking at all so very susceptible to wind catching it. Original was a Vario 1 and now these are replaced with Vario 2 with slightly better design on the lifting and locking mechanism. I did ask about changing it for HEKI make but was told the hole is different and would be a lot more work with a poor fit internally.
Thanks for the information. I'm glad the varo 2 is better. Wasn't entirely sure if it was a drop in replacement so your post helps a lot. I had also considered a heki.
I have seen some with remote control electric operation. Can't seriously consider that as an option given the general problems with roof lights.

Aeron

Free Member
Oct 22, 2019
Morriston, Swansea
Funster No
MH
Cheyenne 630
Exp
3 months
Thanks for the information. I'm glad the varo 2 is better. Wasn't entirely sure if it was a drop in replacement so your post helps a lot. I had also considered a heki.
I have seen some with remote control electric operation. Can't seriously consider that as an option given the general problems with roof lights.
No Problem. As far as I am aware, it is a straight in replacement but they did say that there was some difficulty removing the old one, so I was glad I had them to do the job.

Aeron

Free Member
Oct 22, 2019
Morriston, Swansea
Funster No
MH
Cheyenne 630
Exp
3 months
OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Well the roof light is ordered, may be here in a couple of weeks. We're going away the weekend after Easter so I had to fit a quick bodge so it was fit for travelling.
Removed the remains of the old lid, cut (*%@=%) a piece of perspex from the greenhouse to length, screwed that down to the inner part of the profile so that it squashed the rubber seal a bit.

Lastly went around the whole thing with gaffa tape just to be sure and also cover the screw heads.

If I didn't need it to open I could probably leave it like this!

Good enough for Tavistock anyway.

DSC_2407.JPG

DSC_2408.JPG

DSCPDC_0000_BURST20210329170130074.JPG

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Quick update, the Rooflight finally arrived - 7 days short of 3 months on order. Now to get it fixed. Actually quite got used to doing without it, but did have to resort to fitting a tarpaulin over it too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back