Chasis Extension

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Dennis Webster, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Dennis Webster

Dennis Webster Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,
    I have a scooter rack which needs to be fitted to the chasis of a 2001 Fiat Ducato 2.8 turbo diesel. Mirage Motorhome.
    The chasis doesn't come all the way to the back and plates need to ne welded/bolted onto the existing chasis. Has anyone fitted a towbar to this chasis and if so where were the fixing points?

Much obliged for any help.
    Dennis

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,952
    First work out if you can do it and not overload the back axle. Do a search on here for "back axle loading". You probably won't like the results.

3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ratings:
    +46,079
    Bolting may be preferable to welding as it may be aluminium and as Brian says check the weights as the rear wheel acts like a fulcrum and the weight is multiplied the further back the rack.

4. Dennis Webster

Dennis Webster Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lads. The weight is within the tolerance and the nosing figures. The rack will be pretty close to the rear. Plenty of Companies in England specialize in this but a round trip of 800+ miles is not appealing. I have fabricators who can do this but I wondered if anyone else had fitted one.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,952
    I think I hate you, we had no chance :(

Sorry I can't help with the fabrication. Bolting sounds a good idea, if it goes a bit wrong much easier to correct.